Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Andy on "the Lendl effect" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy on "the Lendl effect"

(Read 773 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Andy on "the Lendl effect" « on: January 15, 2012, 11:29 AM »

I initially posted this on the Lendl is Murray's new coach thread but, as it has a direct bearing on the AO, felt that it deserved a thread of its own

Murray Discusses Lendl Effect [ATP website, 14 Jan]

As Andy Murray prepares to embark on his seventh Australian Open campaign, the question on everyone’s lips is: ‘Will new coach Ivan Lendl be the difference for the Scot as he attempts to claim his first Grand Slam championship?’ Murray, though, insists that the benefits he will gain from his partnership with Lendl will be long term.

"I'm not going to get the benefits from having Ivan this week," said the Scot at his pre-tournament press conference on Saturday in Melbourne. "I'm going to see it in six months, 12 months’ time, when all the things we work on start falling into place. It's obviously good to have someone with his experience around the slams and these situations. But in terms of the actual improvements in my game, it's going to take a little bit longer than a week to make changes."

In terms of what they will work on together, Murray revealed, "He is a very hard worker. I like hard work as well. The last of couple of years especially my attention to detail has gotten much, much better. Obviously I was very young when he played. But he's obviously had a great attitude towards trying to improve. He tried many new things and he was always in great shape. He's definitely going to help with that side of things."

Murray has been denied in three major finals, two of those defeats coming at Melbourne Park to Roger Federer in the 2010 title match,and against Novak Djokovic last year. Far from being discouraged by those defeats, though, Murray continues to look forward and learn from each experience.

"I've obviously enjoyed playing here. I've had good results," said the Dunblane native. "I don't normally think too much about the past. Just always try and concentrate on what's in front of you, what you're trying to achieve this year."

Murray enjoyed a career-best season in 2011, following up his Australian Open runner-up showing with semi-final appearances at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, losing to Rafael Nadal in each one. The 24 year old said he had learnt the lessons from his defeat to Djokovic, and is ready to take his opportunity should he get a third chance in Melbourne.

"I learnt a few things. I need to play better mainly. Need to get physically stronger. Then the other things I'll keep to myself and talk with Ivan about, talk with the guys about, things that I need to improve in my game. If I get myself in that position this time around, I'll do things a bit differently."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:19 PM »

I initially posted this on the Lendl is Murray's new coach thread but, as it has a direct bearing on the AO, felt that it deserved a thread of its own
   Murray Discusses Lendl Effect [ATP website, 14 Jan]

As Andy Murray prepares to embark on his seventh Australian Open campaign, the question on everyone’s lips is: ‘Will new coach Ivan Lendl be the difference for the Scot as he attempts to claim his first Grand Slam championship?’ Murray, though, insists that the benefits he will gain from his partnership with Lendl will be long term.

"I'm not going to get the benefits from having Ivan this week," said the Scot at his pre-tournament press conference on Saturday in Melbourne. "I'm going to see it in six months, 12 months’ time, when all the things we work on start falling into place. It's obviously good to have someone with his experience around the slams and these situations. But in terms of the actual improvements in my game, it's going to take a little bit longer than a week to make changes."

In terms of what they will work on together, Murray revealed, "He is a very hard worker. I like hard work as well. The last of couple of years especially my attention to detail has gotten much, much better. Obviously I was very young when he played. But he's obviously had a great attitude towards trying to improve. He tried many new things and he was always in great shape. He's definitely going to help with that side of things."

Murray has been denied in three major finals, two of those defeats coming at Melbourne Park to Roger Federer in the 2010 title match,and against Novak Djokovic last year. Far from being discouraged by those defeats, though, Murray continues to look forward and learn from each experience.

"I've obviously enjoyed playing here. I've had good results," said the Dunblane native. "I don't normally think too much about the past. Just always try and concentrate on what's in front of you, what you're trying to achieve this year."

Murray enjoyed a career-best season in 2011, following up his Australian Open runner-up showing with semi-final appearances at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, losing to Rafael Nadal in each one. The 24 year old said he had learnt the lessons from his defeat to Djokovic, and is ready to take his opportunity should he get a third chance in Melbourne.

"I learnt a few things. I need to play better mainly. Need to get physically stronger. Then the other things I'll keep to myself and talk with Ivan about, talk with the guys about, things that I need to improve in my game. If I get myself in that position this time around, I'll do things a bit differently."

thanks for posting that Aileen.  Everything I read from both Andy and Mr L's side of the new partnership is very positive indeed.  I like the way they're both showing discretion with regard to what they say to the media and I hope what Andy is saying here is indicative of the growing maturity he does seem to be showing. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:35 PM »

thanks for posting that Aileen.  Everything I read from both Andy and Mr L's side of the new partnership is very positive indeed.  I like the way they're both showing discretion with regard to what they say to the media and I hope what Andy is saying here is indicative of the growing maturity he does seem to be showing.  
Hi Ruthie!  Phew - I thought nobody was going to bother with this thread which is a shame because I believe it's in invaluable insight into Andy as he is now - a much maturer young man.   Oh well, I see it's at least been read 63 times!

It's pretty clear from what he says that winning the AO now simply may not be on the cards, although I'm afraid there are a few who see Lendl as instant GS success.  Me?  I think he could have a decent chance at the French Open because by then (a) he will have worked a lot more with Lendl, most importantly on the mental side of things, and (b) it's the one tournament where there are the least expectations lying on his shoulder.  However, I respect what Andy says about the benefits from this partnership being viewed in the long term - although I hope not too long!

Anyway the interview is still on the Lendl as coach thread, and I won't hesitate to quote from it if necessary when the usual Andy critics get going.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Hi Ruthie!  Phew - I thought nobody was going to bother with this thread which is a shame because I believe it's in invaluable insight into Andy as he is now - a much maturer young man.   Oh well, I see it's at least been read 63 times!

It's pretty clear from what he says that winning the AO now simply may not be on the cards, although I'm afraid there are a few who see Lendl as instant GS success.  Me?  I think he could have a decent chance at the French Open because by then (a) he will have worked a lot more with Lendl, most importantly on the mental side of things, and (b) it's the one tournament where there are the least expectations lying on his shoulder.  However, I respect what Andy says about the benefits from this partnership being viewed in the long term - although I hope not too long!

Anyway the interview is still on the Lendl as coach thread, and I won't hesitate to quote from it if necessary when the usual Andy critics get going.
Well I wouldn't give up just yet on AO Aileen but he's absolutely right to try to lower expectations and make clear that the work with Mr L will pay off in the longer term.  But you know should be get to a SF against Nole I think having Mr L in his box could make a huge difference and should he get to the F the same again.  This isn't with reference to any changes to his game but that old psychological side we've both talked about so often.  It's clear they're talking about that and that Andy sees Mr L as helping him there.  So I'm feeling quietly hopeful at present. And if it doesn't happen, I just hope at the very least having the support of Mr L will prevent the post-AO slump we've seen the last 2 years. Again I think that should be the case.  I'm off down to London till end of week so won't catch Andy's first two games unfortunately.   Can't believe that BBC won't be showing anything on TV until SFs (and then only one of them). I guess this is austerity biting.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Hi Ruthie!  Phew - I thought nobody was going to bother with this thread which is a shame because I believe it's in invaluable insight into Andy as he is now - a much maturer young man.   Oh well, I see it's at least been read 63 times!

It's pretty clear from what he says that winning the AO now simply may not be on the cards, although I'm afraid there are a few who see Lendl as instant GS success.  Me?  I think he could have a decent chance at the French Open because by then (a) he will have worked a lot more with Lendl, most importantly on the mental side of things, and (b) it's the one tournament where there are the least expectations lying on his shoulder.  However, I respect what Andy says about the benefits from this partnership being viewed in the long term - although I hope not too long!

Aileen, anyone with an ounce of brain in their head shouldn't and wouldn't see this as an instant GS success. Only haters will be on to it the minute Andy fails at the AO but I am sure this will not affect either Lendl or Andy as they are both very wise and know exactly what to expect from each other, so if anyone falters, it will be the haters.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:01 PM »

Ruthie, Bet 365 seems to be showing most of the matches. Not all are at dawn!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Ruthie, Bet 365 seems to be showing most of the matches. Not all are at dawn!
thanks bbh but I'm going to be otherwise engaged I fear tues and thurs which is when I guess Andy will be playing.  If he's playing a night match on thurs I might get home in time and be able to watch on eurosport - fingers crossed but tues is a no-no.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy on "the Lendl effect" « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:23 PM »

Well I wouldn't give up just yet on AO Aileen but he's absolutely right to try to lower expectations and make clear that the work with Mr L will pay off in the longer term.  But you know should be get to a SF against Nole I think having Mr L in his box could make a huge difference and should he get to the F the same again.  This isn't with reference to any changes to his game but that old psychological side we've both talked about so often.  It's clear they're talking about that and that Andy sees Mr L as helping him there.  So I'm feeling quietly hopeful at present. And if it doesn't happen, I just hope at the very least having the support of Mr L will prevent the post-AO slump we've seen the last 2 years. Again I think that should be the case.  I'm off down to London till end of week so won't catch Andy's first two games unfortunately.   Can't believe that BBC won't be showing anything on TV until SFs (and then only one of them). I guess this is austerity biting.
I certainly haven't totally given up on Andy at the AO - the unexpected can often happen.   But I'm a realist and I really do not think he is up there mentally enough yet to win it.  I'm absolutely sure though that we won't see a third post-AO slump.  Andy said a while back he never wanted to go down that road again, and the last para of the interview makes it plain that he won't, certainly not with Lendl's help.

As for viewing - I've just paid Eurosport Player £3.99 for a month's subscription, like I did last year.  Well worth the money, especially as I do enjoy watching other players.

Aileen, anyone with an ounce of brain in their head shouldn't and wouldn't see this as an instant GS success. Only haters will be on to it the minute Andy fails at the AO but I am sure this will not affect either Lendl or Andy as they are both very wise and know exactly what to expect from each other, so if anyone falters, it will be the haters.
Very well said, Emma.

IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »