Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Becker says Judy Murray must go 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Becker says Judy Murray must go

(Read 3377 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Becker says Judy Murray must go « on: March 31, 2011, 06:10 AM »

Time to cut the apron strings, Andy Murray [Express, 31 March]
By Nigel Clarke

Andy Murray, British No1, world No5 and immensely talented tennis player, has just discarded another top coach as he seeks the ­formula that makes a Grand Slam final winner.  But, in truth, to ascend the highest throne, Murray needs to take a long, hard look at himself.  He must ask himself, for example, if he still needs his mother, Judy, around him. Could her presence be the key factor that is stopping him from ‘manning up’ and finding the mental fortitude to compete with great champions at the highest level?

Boris Becker is just one among many who think cutting the apron strings might be a better move than changing coach yet again.

“I don’t know why Andy prefers Judy close by,” he said.  “I am not in the camp so I have no idea of what goes on, but is it right for her to be around so much? He needs to ditch her.  Of course, it also depends on your personality and he hasn’t shown me he is mature enough to make his own decisions.”

Let us be clear, Murray is no mummy’s boy. But perhaps he now needs to pursue a different path and move away from the influence of a driven parent. He is approaching his 24th birthday and needs to reset his game plan for the future. However, Becker is not convinced a coach will make the difference and believes Murray needs to take a more holistic look at his game.

He said: “For me, it is strange Andy wishes to spend so much time with his mother in the team. Maybe it is a sign that he is still maturing. He should go it alone more and work with a coach who will be with him all the time.  I was a Grand Slam champion at 17, with a coach who was by my side all the time. For Andy, it is obviously different but what he prefers is not usual.”

The Murray team are close-knit and his mother is a big influence, not only as a key member but someone who can assemble scouting reports and work out tactical strategies.  Crucially, though, while Judy is around, she also vets potential coaches – she is, for example, understood to question Lendl as an option, feeling that the Czech lacks experience and did not handle Wimbledon well as a player.  What her son needs, though, is to take control of his own destiny, to make decisions for himself and to take ultimate responsibility for what happens to him on court – and off it.

Whatever anyone's opinion of Becker is, does he, along with the author of this article, have a point that Andy having his Mum around so much could be hampering his progress?  Judy does seem to play a key role in his career and the relevance here is that she vets prospective coaches.  Becker also says Andy isn't mature enough to make his own decisions.

Of course none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes, but to me it does seem a bit unhealthy for a player of Andy's age to be almost constantly looking to his mother for help and support, not as a spectator but as an active and influential member of his team, possibly to his detriment.

IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:23 PM »

Tell that to Serena and Venus.
IP Logged
Mary

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:24 PM »

His mother should take a few steps back and when she does appear in his box she shouldn't look so severe. I'm sure she's a bag of nerves, especially at a final so I think she should give the next big one a miss.

I just hope Murray makes the decision for himself about his next coach. I really hope it's Lendl, the complete change Andy needs. What skills and experience he could pass on! Contrary to what some are saying, I think they would get on very well.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45 PM »

I actually don't agree that Judy is that heavily involved, contrary to what some people think.  She has said this herself often enough when interviewed.  If you think about Andy's career as a whole he has pretty much done his own thing from the beginning, from striking out and going over to Barcelona.  At most she has just filled in a gap when there has been one in Andy's coaching team.  She does not travel with him much, she is never there when he is on one of his training blocks in miami, and I can't think of anything more normal than a mother watching her son in a grand slam.  Although she does often go and watch Jamie in preference to Andy.  Henman's parents were even more dour than he was, and I don't recollect too much criticism in that respect.  I think it has been easy to create a bit of a caricature here. Andy is certainly not a "mummy's boy", far from it.  She is not heavily involved in the coaching side, at the most sometimes she might scout a future opponent.

Whatever is happening at the moment has NOTHING to do with Andy's relationship with his mother.  I would be surprised of you asked Brad, Miles, or Mark that they would say she was interfering at all.  Andy's future depends on selecting the right coach, and we should be all pleased about the fact that he is spoiled for choice!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51 PM »

I think there's alot of sexism in what has been written about Judy Murray and in the notion of Andy 'manning up'.   But then what does one expect of that rampant sexist BB? Whistle
IP Logged
maxply
Futures Level

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16 PM »

Tell that to Raffa    shocking          
IP Logged
maxply
Futures Level

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Good post Scotsgeek28  If Becker gets the job I will be devastated.I can not even watch a Match if he is commentating, I press the mute   ranting   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40 PM »

I actually don't agree that Judy is that heavily involved, contrary to what some people think.  She has said this herself often enough when interviewed.  If you think about Andy's career as a whole he has pretty much done his own thing from the beginning, from striking out and going over to Barcelona.  At most she has just filled in a gap when there has been one in Andy's coaching team.  She does not travel with him much, she is never there when he is on one of his training blocks in miami, and I can't think of anything more normal than a mother watching her son in a grand slam.  Although she does often go and watch Jamie in preference to Andy.  Henman's parents were even more dour than he was, and I don't recollect too much criticism in that respect.  I think it has been easy to create a bit of a caricature here. Andy is certainly not a "mummy's boy", far from it.  She is not heavily involved in the coaching side, at the most sometimes she might scout a future opponent.

Whatever is happening at the moment has NOTHING to do with Andy's relationship with his mother.  I would be surprised of you asked Brad, Miles, or Mark that they would say she was interfering at all.  Andy's future depends on selecting the right coach, and we should be all pleased about the fact that he is spoiled for choice!
I realise that the Express is probably not the best newspaper to trust, and I agree that Becker is an opinionated git, however, I did get the impression myself that Judy has never been far from Andy's side since he split with Maclagan, and this was something which I felt may not have been doing him any good.  Also other sources have quoted her as being involved in vetting prospective coaches.  I do not agree with Becker that Andy is immature, but rather that he's been pretty vulnerable since his defeat by Federer in last year's AO and I feel that his mother may have been protecting him, something which, although it's understandable, may ultimately not have been in his best interests.

Whatever, I was chatting today to my GP, who it turns out is a tennis fan.  His comment about Andy appointing a new coach was that he didn't think a new coach was the answer but that seeing a sports psychologist certainly was.  So ... Shrug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:20 AM »

I realise that the Express is probably not the best newspaper to trust, and I agree that Becker is an opinionated git, however, I did get the impression myself that Judy has never been far from Andy's side since he split with Maclagan, and this was something which I felt may not have been doing him any good.  Also other sources have quoted her as being involved in vetting prospective coaches.  I do not agree with Becker that Andy is immature, but rather that he's been pretty vulnerable since his defeat by Federer in last year's AO and I feel that his mother may have been protecting him, something which, although it's understandable, may ultimately not have been in his best interests.

Whatever, I was chatting today to my GP, who it turns out is a tennis fan.  His comment about Andy appointing a new coach was that he didn't think a new coach was the answer but that seeing a sports psychologist certainly was.  So ... Shrug

I don't think it is an either/or Aileen and a good coach who Andy respects might persuade him to see a sports psychologist as part of putting his game back together as well as dealing with GS finals.  Let us know what your dentist thinks. Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:10 AM »

I don't think it is an either/or Aileen and a good coach who Andy respects might persuade him to see a sports psychologist as part of putting his game back together as well as dealing with GS finals.  Let us know what your dentist thinks. Whistle
I'm too petrified to talk when I visit my dentist! nervous  However, I thought I'd just throw my GP's comments in for good measure - always good to get a professional opinion apart from from PTs.  Personally I agree that any coach worth his salt could well encourage Andy to see a SP

Oh, and by the way, the pharmacist at my local chemist really dislikes Andy - proof that not all Scottish tennis fans support him! Smile
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34 AM »

Personally I agree that any coach worth his salt could well encourage Andy to see a SP

Any coach worth his salt wouldn't come in with any preconceived notions.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45 PM »

I'm too petrified to talk when I visit my dentist! nervous  However, I thought I'd just throw my GP's comments in for good measure - always good to get a professional opinion apart from from PTs.  Personally I agree that any coach worth his salt could well encourage Andy to see a SP

Oh, and by the way, the pharmacist at my local chemist really dislikes Andy - proof that not all Scottish tennis fans support him! Smile
I think a straw poll is called for among your local professionals and shopkeepers Aileen,  Whistle
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14 PM »

is Judy his mother protecting him, or smothering him? we can all draw our own inferences from Beckers article, although we have to realise we will taint our ideas with how our own relationship with our mothers is constructed. Andy is still maturing in the sense that he is building his own independent life, allowing his mother to dip in and out of it as he feels fit. Ultimately its not about Andy cutting the apron strings, but perhaps about Judy letting go more.

When i look at her relationship with Jamie, i get the sense that Jamie is able to find a more balanced approach with his mother. This is the kind of construct that Andy needs to nurture with his mother (it also depends on Judy allowing this to happen). A new coach that Andy wants - perhaps going against his mothers own ideas - is something i believe will speed up this maturing process for Andy and could signal to Judy, that its time she stepped back from the front line so to speak if indeed she is on it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43 PM »

That's the thing! We can really only guess about the relationship Andy has with his mother. Is she just giving support or is she exerting a lot of influence on him!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Becker says Judy Murray must go « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:16 PM »

Yup.  There's a fine line between caring and wanting the best for your kids, and interfering too much in their lives.  Children are on loan to you, then you have to let them go and do their own thing, as adults - and that includes making mistakes.  Who learns anything if they don't make mistakes?  Give them a long piece of string and they'll always come back to you for help and advice when they need it.  At least, this is what I think.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »