Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Jamie given wildcard to Queens! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Jamie given wildcard to Queens!

(Read 2684 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « on: June 05, 2008, 03:07 PM »

Britain's number one doubles player Jamie Murray has been handed a qualifying wildcard for this year's singles event at Queen's Club.

Murray has not played a top singles match since last April and missed out on the five outright places available for the 9-15 June championship.

Congratulations! clap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7438210.stm
IP Logged
nhilun
Futures Level

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10 PM »

Waiting for a Murray v Murray match!! Very Happy
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:12 PM »

Mark, you have to meet Jamie!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16 PM »

Mark, you have to meet Jamie!

Why? Smile
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:17 PM »

Because for.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36 PM »

Shame that he takes up a spot that could have been used by a Brit who actually wants to make a career out of playing singles.  At least when he loses in the 1st round or 2nd round it won't be as much of an embaressment than if he had been thrashed on a show court at Wimbledon.  I will certainly be cheering for whichever Brit he is playing against.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:13 PM »

It's only a wildcard for the qualifying rounds, not for the main draw, isn't it?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:31 PM »

Yes, Mark, meet Jamie, and the wildcard is only for qualifying.

Murray has not played a top singles match since last April and missed out on the five outright places available for the 9-15 June championship.
The BBC obviously didn't do their research right.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 05:38 PM »

and the wildcard is only for qualifying.
I was well aware of that, it was even in the quoted text I posted up. To even get a wildcard for qualifying is impressive for someone who doesn't have a singles career.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:58 AM »

To even get a wildcard for qualifying is impressive for someone who doesn't have a singles career.

It really isn't.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04 PM »

It really isn't.
If it wasn't for the fact that Jamie is Andy's brother and that he won Wimbledon mixed then I don't see him being there.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:03 AM »

Well I take it back, given how strong the draw is and Jamie is only one of 4 Brits with Bloomers, Slabba and Ward.  I guess it was pretty impressive to get a WC, but no way does he deserve it Frown
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:16 AM »

If it wasn't for the fact that Jamie is Andy's brother and that he won Wimbledon mixed then I don't see him being there.

But winning the mixed was his own achievement. And don't forget he took Nottingham last year too and has some good grass results from the year before. Ok so none of that was singles and ok the WC is slightly to do with his celebrity being a Murray but what else do you expect the organisers to do? Qualifying isn't exactly popular. And if our only current GS champ on grass doesn't deserve a qualifying WC on the surface when he asks for one who does?

I suppose on a singles level he probably doesn't deserve the WC over a few others. But when you're giving two of the others to guys like Slabba and Bloomers, who aren't exactly ever gonna be knocking on the top 100, getting themselves into tournaments like Queens off their own backs, why not give Jamie a go to get a bit of match practice before he hits SW19?
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:32 AM »

But winning the mixed was his own achievement. And don't forget he took Nottingham last year too and has some good grass results from the year before. Ok so none of that was singles and ok the WC is slightly to do with his celebrity being a Murray but what else do you expect the organisers to do? Qualifying isn't exactly popular. And if our only current GS champ on grass doesn't deserve a qualifying WC on the surface when he asks for one who does?

I suppose on a singles level he probably doesn't deserve the WC over a few others. But when you're giving two of the others to guys like Slabba and Bloomers, who aren't exactly ever gonna be knocking on the top 100, getting themselves into tournaments like Queens off their own backs, why not give Jamie a go to get a bit of match practice before he hits SW19?

Some guys are actually trying to make a career out of playing singles, and this is their most important time of the year: the grass is where they pick up the most points throughout the whole year.  The vast majority of British players aren't going to make the top 100, but Slabba and Bloomers completely deserve them. Slabba has improve loads over the last year and Bloomers has performed the best out of all the WCs at Wimbledon in the past few years.

There are loads of people who could have a legitimate claim to one.  Skupski just won a Future in Greece and is at a Career High, Bamford could have been rewarded for Qualifying at Surbiton or Jonny Marray who always plays well on grass and is just returning from about a year out through injury.

Jamie has done nothing to deserve one, I feel disappointed and cheated given that last year Brits filled up half the draw.  This year I can only see 4, and one doesn't even care about singles.  Even more unfairly Jamie's got the easiest draw of the 4 Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Jamie given wildcard to Queens! « Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 12:50 AM »

That's fair enough. And I'm not saying these guys don't put in the work to deserve it.

I just get fed up of year upon year us handing out so many WC's to all the same guys and they continually come back needing them again and again having done nothing with them. I know he's a different case but first year they gave him a WC to Queens and Wimbledon, the next year he came back qualifying on his own ranking, the next year he came back ranked high enough to seed. If these guys were just looking for these WC's to give them their break into the higher rankings then fair enough but most of them rely on them for their income year upon year. And that's not what WC's should be about.

Ok, so Jamie's not gonna be any different, cause let's face it, he's put all his eggs in the doubles basket! But I do think the WC's should be more about encouraging the most talented youngsters to get a taste of the bigtime that may inspire them while they are attempting to break onto the scene.

And I don't suppose Jamie can help it much that he got a decent draw. lol
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »