Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Judy Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Judy Murray  (Read 7365 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #105 on: September 27, 2013, 11:12 AM »

She was very clear he'd been managing it with difficulty for about 20 months - just to reassure anyone thinking it was just a niggle!
Judy didn't give details of the exact problem with Andy's back but she did say it was a three hour op.    I thought that was quite a long time for a minor operation.

I think the time taken can also depend on where they are operating and what is in the immediate vicinity. My hip revision took. 3.5 hours, the operation to repair my ear drum took 3 hours. The ear op involved a lot of fiddly work using an operating microscope. Any op involving the spine and it's attendant nerves, must be a very difficult op to perform.

I also think given his struggles on anything but grass this year it must have got way beyond a minor niggle. It was obviously getting worse and impacting more and more on his tennis and probably every day life.

My views bearing in mind, like everyone here I don't know what was actually wrong, what the op was.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #106 on: September 27, 2013, 11:39 AM »

Judy didn't give details of the exact problem with Andy's back but she did say it was a three hour op.    I thought that was quite a long time for a minor operation.

3 hours, blimey. It's no wonder Andy looked so tired in the pic he uploaded. It is a long time for a minor op. I've had neurosurgery on my head that didn't take three hours.

That should kill off any suggestion that all he had was a niggle. You don't spend 3 hours on an operating table just for a niggle whether it's in the back or anywhere else.

I wish I'd seen Clare's show. I like her, but also anyone who makes Becker squirm is a winner for me Smile.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #107 on: September 27, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Not the full interview, but quite a few little clips from last night's show have been uploaded to the show's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theclarebaldingshow?feature=watch
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #108 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27 PM »

Not the full interview, but quite a few little clips from last night's show have been uploaded to the show's YouTube channel.

Thanks for posting Sparkle. Judy is such a good sport. The Deliciano story was brilliant.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #109 on: September 27, 2013, 11:28 PM »

Thanks a million for that I missed it so was fab to catch clips on here.  goodjob  Judy's brill.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #110 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50 AM »

No problem.  I know a lot of people, not just Andy, have difficulties getting BT Sport.  I saw some ESPN football writer moaning on twitter that Judy Murray wasn't a proper guest for a paid for sports channel, so I quite like the idea of her clips getting loads of views! lol

I'm not sure if they just thought she's "Andy's mum", or if he's just one of those sexist football-centric men who don't rate women's sport, or anything that isn't football.

I've got to say, one of the things I rate about BT Sport, especially Clare's show, is that it isn't football centric, and they give proper attention to women's sport and minority sport.  I remember during and immediately after the Olympics, everyone was interested in a range of sport, and loads of people really enjoyed it.  Inevitably, we reverted back to the usual sports and usual coverage from the usual journalists.  Clare's show along with the one on Saturday mornings, is a nice oasis of more interesting sports coverage.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #111 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04 AM »

Yeah I too get totally cheesed off with the amount of coverage football gets across the media! Even when some of the top tennis tournaments are on you have to flick through about 8 pages of football news to get to the tennis articles and even then its one little corner of the page  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #112 on: September 28, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Thanks so much for this Sparkle.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #113 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20 AM »

I'd rather die! Murray's mum Judy reveals why she turned down top British tennis job
By MARTHA KELNER
PUBLISHED: 22:31, 28 September 2013 | UPDATED: 22:31, 28 September 2013
   34 shares 31 View
comments
Judy Murray was offered the chance to be the new supremo of British tennis - and turned it down, saying: 'I'd rather die.'
But the mother of Wimbledon champion Andy Murray could still play a central role in the changed regime at the Lawn Tennis Association after new chief executive, Canadian Michael Downey, admitted that he would be consulting the first family of British tennis about how best to improve the sport.
Murray is the first home men's singles Wimbledon champion for 77 years and his mother, who supervised his rise to the top largely outside the LTA system, is the current Fed Cup captain. She was thought to have been a strong contender for the £300,000-a-year job to succeed Roger Draper.
Time to talk: New LTA chief executive Michael Downey wants Judy Murray and son Andy involved
Time to talk: New LTA chief executive Michael Downey wants Judy Murray and son Andy involved
'I was asked if I was interested and I think I said I'd rather die,' said Judy. 'He [Downey] obviously knows the game very well on both the participation and the performance side, which is very important. He has a unique opportunity just now because tennis is buzzing after all the excitement about what has happened over the last 12 months or so.' Downey, 56, is keenly aware of the influence the Murray family have and will seek consultations with them before assuming his post next January.
Andy has attacked the LTA in the past for showering no-hopers with money and creating a culture of dependency. Earlier this year he urged the organisation to choose a British chief executive, expressing his surprise that Chris Kermode, the Queen's tournament director, was absent from the long list for the position. 
Downey (below) wants 26-year-old Andy to give him a warts-and-all account of his experience of the LTA. 'Hopefully, Andy will give me a forum,' said Downey. 'I'll sure want one because he is so important to the sport in this country.
Newly appointed LTA Chief Executive Michael Downey
Newly appointed LTA Chief Executive Michael Downey
'I will want Andy's observations very much and I've got to listen to them because they're coming from the most important tennis player in this country. He has been around the world and seen different things, and that global experience is going to be valuable coming back into Britain.
'He's going to have some good comments and I may not agree with all of them, but I sure want him to give them to me.'
Downey spoke of meeting Judy before Andy's first Grand Slam victory at the US Open in 2012.
'She was in the same hotel as me,' said Downey. 'I introduced myself and said: "I really want Andy to win". The next year we were taking the bus to the US Open and I sat next to her and gave her my business card, so hopefully she has that somewhere.'
Downey knows which numbers he needs to dial if he is going to get off to a good start.

More...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2436852/Andy-Murrays-mum-Judy-reveals-turned-British-tennis-job.html#ixzz2gH9bpfQZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #114 on: September 29, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Judy tweeted this article - commenting they were making mountains out of molehills. The story doesn't even actually say why she turned it down.

Good to see Downey plans to talk with the Murrays and (hopefully) take  on board their advice.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #115 on: September 29, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Judy tweeted this article - commenting they were making mountains out of molehills. The story doesn't even actually say why she turned it down.

That's the DM for ya eh  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #116 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56 AM »

There is a world of difference between being asked if you are interested in a job, and being offered the job.   Given the list of qualities and experience they said they were wanting from the new CEO, Judy wouldn't have been suitable anyway.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 09:40 PM »

Judy is making an appearance here if anyone interested:

A tennis evening with Judy Murray and Alistair Higham.
Rheneg Centre, Redhills, Penrith, Cumbria.

27 Oct 2013

http://www.rheged.com/tennis-evening-judy-murray-and-alistair-higham

Join tennis experts and big hitters, Judy Murray and Alistair Higham as they offer an insider’s angle on life at the top of today’s game.

In this talk for tennis players and enthusiasts, they will share anecdotes and advice to with fellow tennis lovers. Alistair will give an insight into the mostly Cumbrian inspiration for his book ‘Off The Frame – The Lighter Side Of Tennis’. www.offtheframe.co.uk.  A Q&A with Judy Murray will follow, about her life in tennis and, in particular, a highly memorable 2012 and 2013.

Judy, now famous worldwide alongside her Wimbledon and Olympic Champion son Andy, has had a long and distinguished career in tennis. She is a world-class coach in her own right, spending many years at the top level of the LTA. She currently captains Great Britain’s Federation Cup women’s international team.

Alistair is an international expert on matchplay and momentum in sport, advising professional athletes and clubs all over the world. He is the author of two best-selling books on momentum and his work is showcased in sports exhibitions including the Wimbledon Museum.

He was National Head of Coach Education at the LTA and captained Great Britain on court during a five- year span as GB 16U National Coach. This summer he led the Great Britain Team at the World University Games in Russia.

Alistair grew up in Wigton and can list - among his many sporting achievements - being Cumbria Men’s County Champion for 20 years. He hopes the weekend will inspire young players in the county.

• 7pm • £12.50 (including buffet) • Book online 
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 10:09 PM »

I would have loved to gone to this if it had been a bit closer to home.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Judy Murray « Reply #119 on: October 27, 2013, 04:44 AM »

judy murray ‏@judmoo  24 Oct 
The tennis court at Cromlix is undergoing a make-over. Wimbledonesque. Smile Thank u @DoeSportsNorth pic.twitter.com/eAJcLt9lvF

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »