Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl is Murray's new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl is Murray's new coach

(Read 10579 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #105 on: January 13, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Looked like a volcano that'd just erupted to me...  fool
Just so long as Andy doesn't erupt.....
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #106 on: January 13, 2012, 07:40 PM »

Unless.....erupt with joy trophy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #107 on: January 13, 2012, 11:56 PM »

Brilliant interview - he has the politician's ability not to answer a question but does so so politely and with a look of mischief in his eyes - I'm warming more and more to the man.  And great to see that Johnnie Mac has had the grace to say he was wrong to be critical in his initial reaction.

Aileen, the link you were looking for re Cahill was in my post on this thread 8.45 this morning.
Thanks Ruthie - these little grey cells failing me again! old  I agree entirely with what you say about Lendl, and I'd also add that the man absolutely exudes mental strength coupled with a quiet confidence.   This is exactly what Andy needs.

Also well done to BBC Scotland for showing part of the Lendl interview, along with an interview with McEnroe, in their evening news bulletin. clap  Can't imagine it was shown anywhere else in the UK, which is a pity because Lendl said that Andy didn't deserve the negativity he received following his three finals' defeats, and explained why.  He also stressed (whilst quite rightly refusing to be drawn on Andy's) that every player has his weaknesses.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #108 on: January 14, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Good to see Lendl being so guarded in his BBC interview. I always find it surprising when coaches talk about the technical stuff to the media. I think everything a coach and player are working on together should be a secret.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #109 on: January 15, 2012, 10:56 AM »

Murray Discusses Lendl Effect [ATP website, 14 Jan]

As Andy Murray prepares to embark on his seventh Australian Open campaign, the question on everyone’s lips is: ‘Will new coach Ivan Lendl be the difference for the Scot as he attempts to claim his first Grand Slam championship?’ Murray, though, insists that the benefits he will gain from his partnership with Lendl will be long term.

"I'm not going to get the benefits from having Ivan this week," said the Scot at his pre-tournament press conference on Saturday in Melbourne. "I'm going to see it in six months, 12 months’ time, when all the things we work on start falling into place. It's obviously good to have someone with his experience around the slams and these situations. But in terms of the actual improvements in my game, it's going to take a little bit longer than a week to make changes."

In terms of what they will work on together, Murray revealed, "He is a very hard worker. I like hard work as well. The last of couple of years especially my attention to detail has gotten much, much better. Obviously I was very young when he played. But he's obviously had a great attitude towards trying to improve. He tried many new things and he was always in great shape. He's definitely going to help with that side of things."

Murray has been denied in three major finals, two of those defeats coming at Melbourne Park to Roger Federer in the 2010 title match,and against Novak Djokovic last year. Far from being discouraged by those defeats, though, Murray continues to look forward and learn from each experience.

"I've obviously enjoyed playing here. I've had good results," said the Dunblane native. "I don't normally think too much about the past. Just always try and concentrate on what's in front of you, what you're trying to achieve this year."

Murray enjoyed a career-best season in 2011, following up his Australian Open runner-up showing with semi-final appearances at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, losing to Rafael Nadal in each one. The 24 year old said he had learnt the lessons from his defeat to Djokovic, and is ready to take his opportunity should he get a third chance in Melbourne.

"I learnt a few things. I need to play better mainly. Need to get physically stronger. Then the other things I'll keep to myself and talk with Ivan about, talk with the guys about, things that I need to improve in my game. If I get myself in that position this time around, I'll do things a bit differently."
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #110 on: January 17, 2012, 08:01 AM »

Top 10 reasons to like the Lendl-Murray connection

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2012-01-17/201201161326711591432.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #111 on: January 17, 2012, 11:27 PM »

Thanks Bev.  Thought it was pretty good even although in the pic Andy looks as though he's blowing his nose rather rudely!

I'd already seen it on the AO website.  Don't often leave comments about articles but did so here and mine is first on the list, and was "liked" by Linda Ashurst. When you click on "comment" it takes you straight to Facebook.  Don't quite understand though why they put a college I attended 50 years ago beside my name! 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #112 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Thanks Bev.  Thought it was pretty good even although in the pic Andy looks as though he's blowing his nose rather rudely!

I'd already seen it on the AO website.  Don't often leave comments about articles but did so here and mine is first on the list, and was "liked" by Linda Ashurst. When you click on "comment" it takes you straight to Facebook.  Don't quite understand though why they put a college I attended 50 years ago beside my name!
I knew it was you Aileen Smile and I now know you were "down south" some years ago!  No secrets with the internet, is there? Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #113 on: January 18, 2012, 01:01 AM »

I knew it was you Aileen Smile and I now know you were "down south" some years ago!  No secrets with the internet, is there? Smile
Well I did put "Aileen, Edinburgh, UK" after my post because I had no idea how the thing worked, and I knew who you were. Smile  I joined Facebook to please a friend but have never really liked it.  The number of people I've never heard of that I might like to know is quite amazing.  It's up to individuals to decide how much info they want to give them, but I saw no reason to keep anything a secret!  I agree though that the internet can be a rather dangerous place for the unwary.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #114 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37 AM »

Murray looked at his companions regularly as always when it went wrong sometime to seek support. Lendl there was clearly not served with it and said that Murray had to stop....

Did anyone else see this? (It's a translated article from Dutch website Spits; "it might be possible that AM wins his first GS")

Lendl Murray must give final push

Tennis player Andy Murray has never won a Grand Slam and not seem to get beyond the fourth place in the world. His new coach Ivan Lendl to change this.

According to expert Marcella Mesker Murray has, during the Australian Open's first round has won, definitely have the qualities to be a grand slam to win and the hegemony of the top three Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer to break. "Only on the mental plane he comes short," said the former top player star and current commentator on ESPN no detours.

Murray has a little boy eight years old experienced a tragedy. At his primary school, the Dunblane Primary, March 1996 sixteen children were killed by the then 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton, who then committed suicide explained. Murray and his older brother Jamie two years at the time of the shooting on the way to the gym and survived the horrible massacre by the headmaster's room to crawl under a desk.

Sourpuss
Perhaps this tragedy Murray to be his eternal bad mood due. For the Scottish tennis player is known as a huge sourpuss. Thus, the press conferences of the number four of the world never the happiest meetings. Also on the job can Murray bales as few others when things go wrong sometime.

His bad temper sometimes played tricks on him. "I regularly Murray sets and even see games away because of something he regretted," said Mesker. "Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal would never do. Novak Djokovic had used sometimes, but not today. It can not if you're number one in the world wants to be. "

Meanwhile, falls on the tennis skills of Murray not argue. "He's an athlete, may well serve and forehand and backhand has an excellent" Mesker said. "Well, more that top tennis players, but he is also one of the best defenders in the world. And he can from that defense suddenly very fast attacks. "

Murray has his tennis skills a lot of results. The Scot won 22 ATP tournaments and ended the last four calendar years down the number four in the world. He was also three times in the final of a Grand Slam. During the U.S. Open and Australian Open twice during the other hand succeeded Murray in the final struggle not to even win a set. Federer won twice last year and had no child Djokovic in Melbourne at the best tennis player from Great Britain.

Lendl sees himself
The 51-year-old Ivan Lendl should take care of that last step that Murray may have to make. The coach of Czechoslovak descent dominated the eighties as a player in the world tennis and was 270 weeks long in the first place in the world.

"It's like I'm playing myself," said Lendl against the British Times about his new 24-year-old pupil. Lendl also had its 24th despite four Grand Slam finals have not yet won. The Australian coach Tony Roche took almost thirty years ago, making it the reversal training emotionless beast finally eight Grand Slam tournaments in his name to write.

Lendl was just the work ethic of Murray, who as a teenager at the Sanchez-Cadalen tennis academy in Barcelona, ​​Spain Lazy English was called to help the final step to the summit to make. According Mesker Lendl seems the right person to the Scotsman that last push.

"Murray listened in the past not always to his coaches," Mesker said. "But Lendl is not to be pushed around. It was during his first round at the Australian Open party. Murray looked at his companions regularly as always when it went wrong sometime to seek support. Lendl there was clearly not served with it and said that Murray had to stop. I think Lendl can make sure Murray will realize that it is really only of themselves when something goes wrong and he always has to work hard to achieve results. "

Brisbane
Al Murray said both Lendl and the results of their collaboration began last week only six to twelve months will be visible, like the first fruits already been picked. The Scot won earlier this year in Brisbane, an ATP tournament as a warmup for the Australian Open.

Melbourne surprisingly lost his first set Murray 4-6 with the number 84 in the world Ryan Harrison. But after a few cans of icy Lendl in the stands, the Scot pulled the party to the American teenager then to him. And it might just be that the losing finalist in 2010 and 2011 this year it finally manages to Australia for the first time ever to win a Grand Slam.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56 AM »

Ha ha.....enjoyed that FP......Thanks for sharing!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #116 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07 AM »

lmao  Some translations of web-pages can be very quaint.

Love that Andy is a "huge sourpuss".  Admittedly we don't know what effect the Dunblane tragedy may have had on him, but however dour he may come across publicly sometimes, we know that that isn't the real Andy.

As for "Murray looked at his companions regularly as always when it went wrong sometime to seek support.  Lendl there was clearly not served with it and said that Murray had to stop."  What utter B.S.! Very Happy  I watched the match and not once did Andy look at his box.  He knew better than to do that!

And Andy has never got above world No.4? Whistle

Of course there are a few elements of the truth in the article, but ...!

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #117 on: January 19, 2012, 05:27 AM »

I agree Aileen! I just found the whole thing hilarious!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #118 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18 PM »

Watching these two matches I think  Lendl has to address two main problems with Andy's game: second serve of course, but also that forehand down the line. It's weak.
I noticed that whippersnapper Harrison targeting it with some success but so did E R-V. Others will follow.
I'm assuming it's nothing to do with power so it must be down to technique, am I imagining it or does he kind of roll it?
Ivan had an amazing forehand so I do hope he can help fix this. I now see it as a worse problem than second serve.
Any thoughts...from Murray fans only, that is!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #119 on: January 19, 2012, 02:22 PM »

I thought Andy's forehand was excellent today. Brad Gilbert noted that Murray's length of swing has changed slightly, hitting through the ball more cleanly, and he looks more balanced through the shot.

However, playing a journeyman and playing someone like Monfils or Tsonga is a different test entirely. I'll reserve judgement until stiffer obstacles have been faced.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »