Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl is Murray's new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl is Murray's new coach

(Read 8722 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 05:01 PM »

Well we'll see what this brings. It will be good for him to have a proper coach again, now we just have to give them some time to work together before we go expecting miracles Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05 PM »

Very exciting news - but we must bear in mind that it's still Andy who'll be playing the tennis, so ultimately his fate lies in his own hands. Got everything crossed for a great 2012!  I get a bit too over excited and I have too many high expectations for Andy  so this is a first for me haha Smile
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 December 31, 2011, 05:11 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 05:09 PM »

Well we'll see what this brings. It will be good for him to have a proper coach again, now we just have to give them some time to work together before we go expecting miracles Smile

A very good point. I'm just hoping for an injection of steel at those crucial moments, like when a forehand goes long.......
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 05:17 PM »

A big problem for Murray was well is up until now he has been able to go under the radar, as he isnt really a big favourite for the majors with the likes or Roger, Djokovic and Nadal considerably in fromt of him.

Going under the radar and beating the guys he should beat has worked for Murray, but teaming up with an all time great is going to put him firmly in the media spotlight before the main events have even started, there is a massive amount of pressure on him that is for sure.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 05:58 PM »

Many congratulations to Andy, having Lendl in the team certainly adds even more spice to what will be an incredibly exciting 2012.  My dad rates Lendl as one of the best players ever and when I told him that Andy had hooked up with him he was delighted.  I just want Andy to win that slam a.s.a.p. and if Ivan can help then bring it on.

Andy is so close and yet again has shown that he'll try anything and everything to break his duck.  He is scary serious in his ambition to realise his potential and if he believes having a full time slam winner on his team is the way to go then it can only be good.   Belief is everything and Ivan has obviously made the right impression.  I'm guessing he doesn't need the money so he must be relishing the prospect of working alongside Andy.

The knockers are running out of things to complain about as Andy keeps confounding them - they kept saying he should get a coach and now he has.  All he needs now is to win that elusive slam, then the Olympic gold and then multiple slams...  These are not pipe dreams.  He is good and ready.  And, by the way, in recent pics and vids he looks every inch the superstar, very handsome and ripped.  wub
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01 PM »

Looks like a good move to me. Lendl wasn't famed for his touch or raw skill - mental attitude and fitness were his key strengths, BIG time.  It was his incredible dedication and steel that got him his success and if a bit of a similar mentality rubs off on Muz it could make a small but significant difference. I'm sure that is what he is hiring him for.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 06:27 PM »

Go Andy.!.. and some haters say he isn't popular... well they people will be eating their own words at this very minute
Your sooo right. Go Andy yay
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Many congratulations to Andy, having Lendl in the team certainly adds even more spice to what will be an incredibly exciting 2012.  My dad rates Lendl as one of the best players ever and when I told him that Andy had hooked up with him he was delighted.  I just want Andy to win that slam a.s.a.p. and if Ivan can help then bring it on.

Andy is so close and yet again has shown that he'll try anything and everything to break his duck.  He is scary serious in his ambition to realise his potential and if he believes having a full time slam winner on his team is the way to go then it can only be good.   Belief is everything and Ivan has obviously made the right impression.  I'm guessing he doesn't need the money so he must be relishing the prospect of working alongside Andy.

The knockers are running out of things to complain about as Andy keeps confounding them - they kept saying he should get a coach and now he has.  All he needs now is to win that elusive slam, then the Olympic gold and then multiple slams...  These are not pipe dreams.  He is good and ready.  And, by the way, in recent pics and vids he looks every inch the superstar, very handsome and ripped.  wub
Well said as always Clementine, i am thrilled for Andy onwards and upwards , i really feel 2012 will be a fantastic year for Andy. Happy new year everyone.  partyman
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 06:38 PM »

Great news and I am hoping that Lendl will give Andy that little extra push he needs to go on and win a slam in 2012. What a time to announce this on Hogmanay at least in Scotland.
Come on Andy this is going to be your year, you have heaps of talent and great fighting spirit you just need a little more steel. I wish you all the best for 2012. I am sure all of your fans on MW are behind you. Hope you do well in Brisbane. hug hug hug
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 06:48 PM »

Well said as always Clementine, i am thrilled for Andy onwards and upwards , i really feel 2012 will be a fantastic year for Andy. Happy new year everyone.  partyman

Happy new year to you too!

It is an interesting move for sure, playing under the guidance of a multiple Grand Slam Champion who has no coaching record to speak of, has the potential to turn very sour indeed.

These next few months are huge for Murray's career there is only so much of that "so near but so far feeling" a top guy can take its going to take its toll on him, and I don't see Lendl sticking around with a guy who hasnt won a major with him, Connor ditched Roddick for the same reason in 2009, its the harsh but real world of top level sport, only time will tell us how Murrays copes with this.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 06:52 PM »

"
A big problem for Murray was well is up until now he has been able to go under the radar, as he isnt really a big favourite for the majors with the likes or Roger, Djokovic and Nadal considerably in fromt of him.

Going under the radar and beating the guys he should beat has worked for Murray, but teaming up with an all time great is going to put him firmly in the media spotlight before the main events have even started, there is a massive amount of pressure on him that is for sure...."

This is nonsense, Andy Murray is never under the radar. He has grown up in one of the worlds biggest goldfish bowls.
The Lendl appointment is just what the doctor ordered.
Not because of a similarity in game styles, because there's little.
It's help with his mentality that is required.
It took Lendl on his 5 th attempt at the FO in 84 to finally bag a big one.
He can impart crucial advice and give support. He's been there and done that. It really is just the final piece of the puzzle required.
Although he could be handy for forehand development as well.
It shall also help with his already improving demeanour as there is no way Lendl will put up with any nonsense from him and won't need his money either so is not going to pussyfoot around Andy.
I think this is good news.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 07:02 PM »

"

Going under the radar and beating the guys he should beat has worked for Murray, but teaming up with an all time great is going to put him firmly in the media spotlight before the main events have even started, there is a massive amount of pressure on him that is for sure...."

This is nonsense, Andy Murray is never under the radar. He has grown up in one of the worlds biggest goldfish bowls.
He can impart crucial advice and give support. He's been there and done that. It really is just the final piece of the puzzle required.
It shall also help with his already improving demeanour as there is no way Lendl will put up with any nonsense from him and won't need his money either so is not going to pussyfoot around Andy.

It depends where you are, I have spent a lot of time in the states and while Murray is respected there if you are at the USO last summer and followed the coverage there you would know that while he was seen as a threat the talk was all Novak, Rafa and Roger and even Del Potro, so outside of the UK he is largely under the radar relatively speaking because there are 3 guys who are better than him and who have all won multiple major titles.

I agree that Lendl and Murray have in common the fact that the both lost a fair few major finals (Murray 3 so far Lendl 4) But that stat doesnt ensure that Lendl can convert Murray into a major champion if anything it puts added pressure on Murray as the media and pundits across the board will pick up on the fact that one of the few guys who lost a series of major finals and became another multiple champion is now coaching the man who was straight setted in his 1st 3 major finals.

Add to all of that, being a major winner himself Lendl is used to nothing less than sucess, Murray had a very good year in the majors last year no doubt about it, but a year without a major in Lendl's eyes will more than likely be seen as a failure, thats massive pressure on Murray's shoulders right there.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 07:04 PM »

This is really good positive news and everyone should be positive about it no matter what.  Its not ever day that a GS champion agrees to coach you  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 07:05 PM »

"

Agree about the radar point and the rest too. And as someone who knows the disappointment of getting so close to winning GSs and falling at the final hurdle 3 times I think Lendl will have a lot of sympathy for Andy provided Andy continues to work hard and try his best.  And if he doesn't win AO [and I fear Nole looks ominously good ] I think he'll probably help Andy not to go into the kind of slump he did the last 2 years.  While Lendl wasn't my kind of player the more I think about it the more I think this is good news.  And it may well be that they came to some kind of agreement some time ago when all the rumours were flying but for whatever reason put it on hold till 2012.  We know they spent some time together then.  And I agree that Andy can get warm and fuzzy from the rest of his team - he needs that steel now and while it's not something that can just be given Lendl may be able to help Andy to develop it for himself.  Perhaps temperamentally it will be a case of yin and yang. I wish them both well for 2012 and all of you too.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 07:16 PM »

Lendl knows exactly what he is getting himself into, the world knows it.
Right now there can be no bigger achievement for a coach than to turn Andy into a slam winner it's a great opportunity for him also as he might be coming in at just the right time to guide him.
Lendl was eventually used to great success but it didn't come easy to him slam wise esp given how tough his era was, but he did it and can be there to help Andy learn too.
And if it doesn't work out fine but I suspect Andy will be the one pulling the trigger first if it comes to that.
This is about improving his mentality. Lendl can impart advice on patience and being decisive on the court and yes getting over losses quickly.
How things look etc is of less importance at this stage of his carreer than it was a few years ago.
No one is reasonably going to think that it's all up to Lendl to immediately turn things around for Andy, the only one who can do that is himself.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »