Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl is Murray's new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl is Murray's new coach

(Read 10369 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17 PM »

As an un-tried coach Lendl has something to prove too - I'm sure he will do his level best to help Andy to achieve his goals.  Give it time though - if it doesn't happen in Melbourne I hope there isn't massive weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 07:22 PM »

As an un-tried coach Lendl has something to prove too - I'm sure he will do his level best to help Andy to achieve his goals.  Give it time though - if it doesn't happen in Melbourne I hope there isn't massive weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth!
Good point Alis (and theycanbillme).  And I'm sure he'll help Andy get perspective on it if it doesn't happen at AO.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 07:30 PM »

There shall be no gnashing from me at least.
I don't read too much into Novaks performance in Abu Dhabi,
Federer was flat and out of sorts, Nadal was undercooked and Ferrer was not at his best either, although it wouldnt be enough usually anyway.
Murray can win the AO, but he has to really believe it first.
Lendl can help with this.
Anyway
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE,
HOPE ALL YOUR WISHES COME TRUE.
IP Logged
killieboyd
Satellite Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 07:51 PM »

Looks like a good move to me. Lendl wasn't famed for his touch or raw skill - mental attitude and fitness were his key strengths, BIG time.  It was his incredible dedication and steel that got him his success and if a bit of a similar mentality rubs off on Muz it could make a small but significant difference. I'm sure that is what he is hiring him for.
Well said!!!!!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30 PM »

I think Lendl will be a mentor to Andy working on his mental attitude and strength more than a coach who would be working on his skills. I do honestly feel it is the missing part of Andy's makeup to win a Grand Slam, and if he gets one then....................
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15 PM »

Excellent news! I really think that Lendl will be able to help Andy so much during the slams. He had the same difficulties in slam finals but was able to overcome them to win many slams. Hopefully he can help show Andy how to do it too.
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 01:50 AM »

A surprise maybe not. Lendl has been there and both worn and won the tee-shirt and I enjoyed watching him also.  Andy has thought this strategy through and I feel they are both in it for the long haul not a quick fix.  Lendl likes Andy's game,this is a plus. All positive vibes now Murraysworld. Best news have had this year!!!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 02:34 AM »

Best news have had this year!!!
All 2 hours in? Wow Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 03:15 AM »

A surprise maybe not. Lendl has been there and both worn and won the tee-shirt and I enjoyed watching him also.  Andy has thought this strategy through and I feel they are both in it for the long haul not a quick fix.  Lendl likes Andy's game,this is a plus. All positive vibes now Murraysworld. Best news have had this year!!!
The announcement couldn't have come at a better time! yes

I'm just relieved that, after all these months and much speculation on MW, Andy has found what I hope is a permanent coach.  All this fiddling around, trying to go it on his own, etc, was never going to work, and neither was having Cahill or other Adidas coaches on a piecemeal basis.  Andy certainly can't be accused of rushing into this, and I'm sure that as Lendl was training with him in Miami the pair of them have a fair idea as to whether the relationship has a good chance of working or not.  As you say, Andy wants somebody for the long haul now. 

I'm sure one thing that greatly appeals to Andy is that Lendl had a reputation as a workaholic, and Andy is known to be one of the hardest workers in the game.  I just hope Lendl can get inside Andy's head and help him with the mental side of things, but if Andy has the hunger to win a Slam, then I'm cautiously optimistic that Lendl just might be able to take him up that one crucial step further.  So Lendl won't stand for any of Andy's nonsense?  Well that's up to Andy if he wants to keep Lendl as his coach, and I do believe from what we saw of Andy in the Far East that there is a work in progress with this, probably due to Cahill's influence - Cahill being a strict believer in self-discipline on court.

Also an improvement in his serve and more power in his groundstrokes certainly won't go amiss, and neither will honing his ruthless streak (but please, not to the extent where he knocks players off their feet, as Lendl did!).  What I don't want is for Lendl's lack of finesse to rub off on Andy.  Being a power-house is one thing, but I'd hate to see Andy's delicate touches done away with since they're what make his game so unique.  To me, power without finesse is nothing, and it's boring to watch.  Andy apart, that's the difference between Federer and Nadal/Djokovic.

PLEASE though - don't expect miracles overnight!  Like all tennis partnerships it'll probably take a few tournaments before the benefits show.  Andy may not win the AO, he may not even get to the final, but I'm damned sure that Lendl won't allow him to disappear into a black hole like he's done the last two years.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 10:24 AM »

Good posting! Aileen!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 10:27 AM »

Excellent Post Aileen Smile  I can learn a lot from you Smile
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Here is an interesting interview with Andy re Lendl appointment. Shows he didn't want a yes man coach, never believed he did.  
http://www.atpworldtour.com
[ Last edit by michelle January 01, 2012, 10:41 AM ] IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 11:42 AM »

First of all, Happy New Year, wish you all the best and hope the season starts as soon as possible so we can hang out a bit again. Very Happy

I, for my self, love the appointment. It's not about Andy's shots, albeit, as we all know, the second serve can be much better and there's a kind of lack of consistency sometimes on the forehand, it's about staying cool and focused in the key moments and Lendl is a guy who is pure ice. The second thing is, two guys can always see more and come up with  better tactics then one guy. Lendl can for sure give some useable advices and expend Andy's sights.
Loking forward watching their partnership bring us all joy. Very Happy
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Andy must get on with the guy, as he wouldn't have appointed him otherwise, so that's a start! I think this will be good!!  Very Happy C'MON! cmon yeah

Agree, Caz. Happy new year
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Here is an interesting interview with Andy re Lendl appointment. Shows he didn't want a yes man coach, never believed he did. 
http://www.atpworldtour.com
Quite right michelle, interesting, what point would that be, a yes man, Andy knows himself and just needs some one to guide him through the tough slams, that last little push over the winning line. Cant wait.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »