Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl is Murray's new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl is Murray's new coach

(Read 9751 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #120 on: January 19, 2012, 02:57 PM »

Watching these two matches I think  Lendl has to address two main problems with Andy's game: second serve of course, but also that forehand down the line. It's weak.
I noticed that whippersnapper Harrison targeting it with some success but so did E R-V. Others will follow.
I'm assuming it's nothing to do with power so it must be down to technique, am I imagining it or does he kind of roll it?
Ivan had an amazing forehand so I do hope he can help fix this. I now see it as a worse problem than second serve.
Any thoughts...from Murray fans only, that is!
This is in line what experts say about Andys forehand- its good, but room for improvement to make it a bigger weapon, particularly against the top 3; which is the last frontier for Andy.
Employing a flatter forehand would enable him to go for bigger shots and more winners.

That, and  (often said) more offensive play from the start, early in rallys.
Clearly Andy has to make some small adjustments to his already brilliant weapons arsenal to lift that GS trophy.

May take Lendl and Andy some time to do that.  I'm sure they wont try to make significant changes during the AO.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #121 on: January 19, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Iashurst, I'm sure they won't and would be foolish to. After all he did brilliantly last year, right up to the last hurdle.
Sir Panda, yes that will be the test because against Harrison the FDL wasn't so good. If Andy feels under pressure it folds.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #122 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55 PM »

Greg Rusedski was also complimenting Andy on his improved forehand technique today - saying he was hitting through the ball. I think his forehand has definitely improved over the last six months and hopefully working with Lendl will make it improve further.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #123 on: January 19, 2012, 07:29 PM »

katie, sure hope so Smile
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #124 on: January 23, 2012, 01:54 PM »

Some interviews with Lendl

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16681540.stm

and another on Andy's facebook http://www.facebook.com/andymurrayofficial - (sorry can't get link to work)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #125 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47 AM »

^^ Thanks for those Elena.  Very interesting, especially the ESPN one.  Just about didn't recognise Patrick McEnroe though.  Definitely a little mellower than his big brother!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #126 on: February 18, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Some unusually positive comments on Sky last night about Andy and Lendl.  They had Boris B on saying positive things and then Marcus and Annabelle discussing it.  Annabelle had watched practice sessions and said Mr L is feeding in information almost after every point and is much more proactive than previous coaches.  She said something to the effect that she'd asked Andy whether he wanted to perform well for Ivan and he had said something like yes he wanted to justify the faith that Ivan had shown in agreeing to work with him.  It really brought home what a modest young man Andy is - he clearly looks up to Lendl.She was also emphasising how well they seemed to be getting on - lots of laughter but also giving each other space outside practice/match time. 
They showed part of Andy's defeat of Rafa in Tokyo again on Friday and it made me think that something had already shifted in Andy so that he was now ready to work with and learn from Mr L in a way that perhaps he'd not been previously. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #127 on: February 18, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Some unusually positive comments on Sky last night about Andy and Lendl.  They had Boris B on saying positive things and then Marcus and Annabelle discussing it.  Annabelle had watched practice sessions and said Mr L is feeding in information almost after every point and is much more proactive than previous coaches.  She said something to the effect that she'd asked Andy whether he wanted to perform well for Ivan and he had said something like yes he wanted to justify the faith that Ivan had shown in agreeing to work with him.  It really brought home what a modest young man Andy is - he clearly looks up to Lendl.She was also emphasising how well they seemed to be getting on - lots of laughter but also giving each other space outside practice/match time. 
They showed part of Andy's defeat of Rafa in Tokyo again on Friday and it made me think that something had already shifted in Andy so that he was now ready to work with and learn from Mr L in a way that perhaps he'd not been previously. 
Thanks for that encouraging information Ruthie.  I know Andy would never want to let Lendl down, but I agree that until recently that he wasn't ready to take Lendl on board, which is probably why he wasn't interested in his offer a year ago.  I've no doubt though that this shift was started by Cahill - another person for whom Andy has great respect - and I'm even going to stick my neck out and say that, although we will never know for sure, Andy may have made the move to contact Lendl as a result of a little persuasion from Cahill.  Certainly Cahill was present at at least one of the meetings Andy and his team had with Lendl in Miami.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #128 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49 PM »

You're right Aileen, in fact Cahill said he encouraged Andy to get in touch with Lendl and was present at a couple of the meetings with Andy and Lendl. I think Andy wanted Cahill but because of his commitments this was not possible and this is why Cahill suggested Lendl, knowing the two of them felt they would do very well together. Also Lendl has said this week that Andy is very quick learner, taking on board the suggestions made during their training sessions.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #129 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Will Mr Lendl be at courtside for Andy in Dubai? Does anyone know?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #130 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42 PM »

Again - not sure where to put this - but it's a live thread, and so - great to see Andy's facebook support building steadily. about 1,000 a day, even though he's keeping a pretty low profile at the moment (even the talk here has all been about Federer!)
Nearly 449,000 at the start of the year, over 493,000 now. Should be 500,000 by Dubai....
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #131 on: February 18, 2012, 10:18 PM »

Will Mr Lendl be at courtside for Andy in Dubai? Does anyone know?

I think Lendl's contract is just for the Masters events and slams. During the Dubai week, he's actually playing a Champions Tour event in Delray Beach.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #132 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51 PM »

I'm sure they'll keep in touch by phone.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #133 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00 PM »

I'm sure they'll keep in touch by phone.

I suspect more than that. Lendl will probably watch Andy's matches live on Sky
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #134 on: February 19, 2012, 02:09 AM »

I suspect more than that. Lendl will probably watch Andy's matches live on Sky
Definitely, and recording them as well so he can go over them with Andy shot by shot.  I must say I was impressed when I saw a brief video of Lendl watching Andy practise and he was going round the court photographing Andy with his mobile, then showing the pics to him between games and pointing out one or two things.  Now that is what I call efficiency!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »