Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl is Murray's new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl is Murray's new coach

(Read 10036 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #135 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Well, he had the reputation for leaving no stone unturned in his own career and I'm pretty sure he will do the same with Andy.  This is his first coaching job and - who knows maybe his only one - he will want it to be a success.
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #136 on: February 19, 2012, 02:10 PM »

i'm reading Andrei Agassi's autobio and during the early times of his team up with Brad Gilbert, BG mentioned to him that he should not be a perfectionist and that he should try to exploit the opponent's weakness and not to aim for winners all the time.

having said that, i think BG has a big role in molding Andy's counterpunching game. maybe AM took the advice by heart. hope Lendl finds a way to instill a balanced punching-counterpunching approach to his game.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 04:49 PM »

i'm reading Andrei Agassi's autobio and during the early times of his team up with Brad Gilbert, BG mentioned to him that he should not be a perfectionist and that he should try to exploit the opponent's weakness and not to aim for winners all the time.

having said that, i think BG has a big role in molding Andy's counterpunching game. maybe AM took the advice by heart. hope Lendl finds a way to instill a balanced punching-counterpunching approach to his game.
Andy does need to learn that perfection in tennis, or indeed in most things, simply doesn't exist, and accept that even the very best players make mistakes.  No point wasting time agonising about a poor shot and still dwelling on it 10 minutes later.  That has often cost Andy dearly.  However, I did notice in Brisbane and the AO that he seemed to be acquiring the ability to do what all players should - quietly acknowledge to themselves that they have played a bad shot, then immediately put it to the back of their minds and get on with the match.  Plenty of time for analysis later!  I'm talking about UEs here, but Andy, in the past, has also been guilty of blaming himself for what he perceives as poor play when he fails to return a good shot by his opponent.  Again he should just quietly acknowledge his opponent's skill and get on with his own game.

I must admit Dubai can't come quickly enough so's we can see what the Lendl effect has been thus far.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #138 on: February 19, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Any idea when the draw is?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Any idea when the draw is?
Just checked website and the women's draw took place yesterday, so would imagine men's draw will be on Saturday.
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59 AM »

counting the days before Dubai. it's been too long since that AO SF. i have a strong feeling AM has a really really really (notice the emphasis Smile) good year ahead of him1
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #141 on: February 21, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Something someone wrote just reminded me of something else that Annabelle Croft said.  It was to the effect that Lendl has encouraged Andy to think about how his opponents see him and Andy said he'd not thought of that before.  May have not got it quite right but I guess it relates in part to the way Andy's body language can help his opponent.
Oh and I agree Aileen that I'm sure Cahill played an important role in bringing them together.  But if Andy hadn't been ready I don't think he'd have taken the advice as we all know how stubborn he can be.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #142 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44 PM »

^^^ His stubborness may have cost him a few years winning slams already. Still we can't be sure and as others have said this steady progression may prove to be for the best.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #143 on: February 21, 2012, 06:46 PM »

^^^ His stubborness may have cost him a few years winning slams already. Still we can't be sure and as others have said this steady progression may prove to be for the best.
Well if he wasn't ready he wasn't ready and I'm hoping the success will be that much greater and sweeter for the wait.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #144 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Me too infact Im hoping that it is building up to be the motherlode, and yes there's no point crying over spilt milk.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #145 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59 PM »

Also Andy could well be what is known as a late bloomer, and Andy himself has often said he would play his best tennis when in his mid-20s.  Cahill seems to be of the same opinion and is on record as saying last year that he would be at his peak between 24-27.  As Andy will be 25 in May, it'll be interesting to see what happens now.  
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #146 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28 PM »

Also Andy could well be what is known as a late bloomer, and Andy himself has often said he would play his best tennis when in his mid-20s.  Cahill seems to be of the same opinion and is on record as saying last year that he would be at his peak between 24-27.  As Andy will be 25 in May, it'll be interesting to see what happens now.   

As you well know, I have been quoting this age scenario for some time in many posts. I believe it started with Andy himself stating that his best years would be between the ages of 23 and 26. A late bloomer forsooth.

Anytime you achieve a Slam, Andy, would be good enough for me and all on MW.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #147 on: February 22, 2012, 12:19 AM »

As you well know, I have been quoting this age scenario for some time in many posts. I believe it started with Andy himself stating that his best years would be between the ages of 23 and 26. A late bloomer forsooth.

Anytime you achieve a Slam, Andy, would be good enough for me and all on MW.
And I've been doing the same, OSS, ever since Andy made his own pronouncement, and I've also reinforced it before with what Cahill said, but somehow the message never seemed to get across.  That's why I got so p****d off with certain members who kept writing him off as a Slam winner.  Strange how they've all gone quiet lately!

IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #148 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Also Andy could well be what is known as a late bloomer, and Andy himself has often said he would play his best tennis when in his mid-20s.  Cahill seems to be of the same opinion and is on record as saying last year that he would be at his peak between 24-27.  As Andy will be 25 in May, it'll be interesting to see what happens now.   

Given the quite radical improvements made over the last 6 months; he's easily the most improved in the top 4 in this period. I have to agree with this assertion. If he keeps on improving he will reach some kind of critical mass probably this year and become brutal.
He wasn't mature enough before to really push on even if he had snuck a slam a la Del Potro but now we are in a new period of the unknown. I just can't predict what he is going to be like. Other than `better`.
Which is very cool.
With Novak and certainly with Roger and Rafa you know its just going to be more of the same.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Lendl is Murray's new coach. « Reply #149 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39 AM »

With Novak and certainly with Roger and Rafa you know its just going to be more of the same.
The above three players have hit their summit, Novak can stay there for a while the other two have declined if only slightly because they have been overtaken by Novak.
Andy is still on the assent not yet reaching his summit. The question is will it be higher than Novak's???
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »