Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Lendl News  (Read 4536 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl News « Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 06:52 PM »

wow the sky is the limit with Lendl isn't it.  I do hope this partnership does last for the rest of Andy's playing career. 
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Lendl News « Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09 PM »

wow the sky is the limit with Lendl isn't it.  I do hope this partnership does last for the rest of Andy's playing career. 

I have the strong feeling that it will
IP Logged
james83

"I like jokes. I don't like smiling too much."

Re: Lendl News « Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Lendl is a legend.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Lendl News « Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54 PM »

Lendl has a way of communicating about Andy that I really love. It sounds stupid to say seeing as he coaches our man, but he gets it, like us I think lol.

It make me feel quite choked to think that Lendl can see where Andy is, but also where he wants him to be. That suggests, obviously, that he believes that Andy is capable of reaching the level where Lendl wants him to be. That's exciting for the future. With Andy's worth ethic you wouldn't bet against him. It makes you wonder though, doesn't it? How good could Andy be in the next few years? That's scary, but fun!

I suppose you can never tell, but I think the arrangement with Lendl has all the feel of one the best hook-ups in the sport. I get the feeling it will last. They seem to get on, there seems to be mutual understanding and respect. They seem to have a similar sense of humour too, which must help. I really do hope it lasts because obviously works.

I reckon taking on Lendl was Andy's best decision ever.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Lendl News « Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05 PM »

I was thinking about this earlier you know, before seeing the article like. Weird.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Lendl News « Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 10:06 AM »

What I really like about Lendl is how much he believes in Andy's game - this has always come across, right from the beginning. I like how he handles the media too - never giving anything away! It's great that he wants to work with Andy for the rest of Andy's career - I think they're going to have a lot more success together.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Lendl News « Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Lendl's belief in Andy is such a help to Andy and his development, also what he can impart in developing certain shots as well as the mental toughness. It really made me so happy to read that Lendl wants to stay with Andy throughout his career and what he can see that needs tweaking if Andy is only 20% where his game can be, we're in for some wonderful days ahead. I can't wait to see Andy in Dec in the exho and then in Aussie land.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Lendl News « Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 12:36 PM »

I think they're being very sensible too in not spending too much time together. That way the partnership is more likely to endure to the satisfaction of both of them.  I remember the excitement I felt when I heard that Andy had appointed Lendl last New Year. Nevertheless I don't think I really believed that Andy would have progressed quite this far in terms of his achievements and his game.  I knew it would take time so didn't think we should get worried when Andy had a mini post-AO dip.  But must admit I was beginning to wonder how long it would take at start of grass court season.  
Lendl feels to me like a rock that is providing the solid base Andy needs to be able to fly and maximise his potential.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Lendl News « Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 01:30 PM »

^^ Great post Ruthie. Your comments mirror my own thoughts.
It's been so good to read Lendl's positive comments as a finale to Andy's great year. Here's to 2013.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Lendl News « Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 07:09 PM »

I am very interesting to see what Lendl brings to the table in terms of Andy's game and schedule now that he'll be competing on a different level going forward.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Lendl News « Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Ivan Lendl threw up his own Iron Curtain on Wednesday when reporters probed about the state of Andy Murray's mind and his game as Britain's newly minted Grand Slam champion switches his focus to the Australian Open. "I never get into the details of his game with anyone because it not necessary for anyone other than Andy to know," the Czech-born Lendl said in familiar taciturn style.

The former world number one - now a U.S. citizen - steered Murray to the U.S. Open crown in September, ending Britain's wait for a men's grand slam singles champion which had stretched back to 1936. Like Murray, Lendl lost the first four grand slam finals he contested but then went on to win eight, failing only at Wimbledon.

Now Britain's barren spell is broken, many expect Murray to emulate his coach and win several more, but Lendl cautioned it would be far from easy. "Well obviously that is the goal," he said when asked if Murray could win in Melbourne.

"But tennis is very difficult at the moment with (Novak) Djokovic, (Roger) Federer, (Rafa) Nadal and Andy all very good at the moment so it is going to be difficult to succeed.

"Yes he does have a chance but I can't make any predictions." A question on whether Murray could now dominate the sport was rifled straight back like a Lendl service return of old. "I am not going to go there," he said. "The only way to answer that is to take one match at a time, one tournament at a time and see what happens."

Lendl, in Hong Kong to promote a global 'BNP Paribas Tennis Showdown' event next March in which he will play old nemesis John McEnroe, said it was impossible to compare eras. "I think there are many eras in the game and there have been many good players at the same time," he said. "You can look at the early 80s with (Jimmy) Connors and McEnroe, (Bjorn) Bjorg and myself, you can go back in to the 60s and 70s and there are many good players there.

"I don't think we should be comparing one era to another because you just can't compare them." One comparison he did make, though, and the unflattering conclusion he reached was that he would not be able to live with Murray were the two to play now. "Andy would kill me," he said. "All you have to do is look at the sports against time - swimming, athletics etc - and compare the times from today compared to 30 years ago and you will get the answer."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ivan-lendl-tightlipped-as-andy-murray-targets-melbourne/306666-5-22.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Lendl News « Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06 AM »

Another Ivan interview!Doesn't say too much different to what he's already been saying,but I loved the line about him smiling inside during matches,and the way he talked about now having an understanding of what makes Andy tick made me excited for next year!

Ivan Lendl confident of guiding Andy Murray to more success next year

Ivan Lendl has told Metro of his bold plans to get Andy Murray in shape to win all four grand slams next year.

Murray enjoyed a breakthrough year working with former world No.1 Lendl, reaching the Wimbledon final before winning Olympic gold and then breaking his grand-slam duck to land the US Open.

Now Lendl wants more of the same next year and even expects the Scot to challenge at the French Open, where Murray has reached the semi-final only once, in 2011.

Did you expect Andy to make such rapid strides under your tutelage this year?

‘Yes but I told Andy when I first met him it would take time. I said it could take from six to nine months before the improvements started to take effect and he excelled at the US Open.'
'He had delivered at the Olympics and played extremely well against Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final, so I knew things were going in the direction we wanted.’

What persuaded you to work with him?

‘We met and also chatted on the phone, and I was impressed how much he wanted to learn, how much he wanted to improve and  how much he wanted to win.’

What has been the biggest improvement in your relationship with Andy?

‘I now have more of an understanding about what makes him tick and we can build successfully on that. There is a lot to look forward to next year.’

He loves the Australian Open, reaching the final in 2010 and 2011, so you must be expecting a rapid start to the season.

‘All the other players will be targeting the Australian Open, wanting to make a bold start to the new year, so it is vital Andy has a healthy, fundamentally strong base to build on.’

The French Open is not one of his favourite events, given it is played on his least favourite surface. What are his chances like at Roland Garros?

‘No one has won the French Open without having enjoyed a good clay-court season. But if he works on aspects of his game I want him to improve, then he can do it.’

Andy has already proved he is the one to beat in New York but winning Wimbledon must be his main priority?

‘I am way too old to worry about what people think but Wimbledon is very prestigious. Players always want to win their home grand slam but he can only prepare and give it his best.’

You have a reputation for being very cold when you are watching from the sidelines, even when things are going well.

‘People don’t know what I am thinking. I’m smiling inside.’

Are you looking forward to playing in next month’s Statoil Masters at the Royal Albert Hall?

‘Yes, I will meet up with a lot of friends, it is a great event.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/918646-ivan-lendl-confident-of-guiding-andy-murray-to-more-success-next-year
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lendl News « Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 10:24 AM »

If Lendl is playing in London from 5-9 December it's going to take a chunk of time out of Andy's training block which is unfortunate.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Lendl News « Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Yes that seems odd doesn't it when they've both talked about a month training together I think?  But it's not a long break and I'm sure they will have factored it into the planning.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Lendl News « Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17 PM »

from StatoilMastersTennis ‏@Masters_Tennis

Ivan Lendl has unfortunately been forced to withdraw from the tournament because of knee and hip injuries. He will be replaced by Guy Forget
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »