Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  Lendl News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Lendl News

(Read 6092 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Lendl News « Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 12:33 AM »

Andy Murray's coach Ivan Lendl convinced they make a formidable team

Twelve months after taking over as Murray's right-hand man, Lendl says the pair's understanding has definitely developed

Ivan Lendl remains as cool as ever ahead of Andy Murray's appearance in the final of the Australian Open against Novak Djokovic on Sunday. The coach, who has been with him since they hooked up here a year ago, was not carried away with statistics or history, especially the curiosity of Murray trying to become the first player in the Open era to follow his first slam title with another one straight away. When reminded that, as a player, he had to wait a good deal longer for his second major, Lendl, who won eight of them, was not impressed.

"I've never thought about it but I told Andy before the tournament: 'Apparently no player has won three Australian Opens in a row in the Open era and no player in the Open era has won his first major and then won his second win in the very next major. So that means Roger has to win here!' That's not going to happen now, so one of those theories goes out of the window. Once again it's a lovely story for you guys, but I pay no attention to that."

He reckoned it would play no part in Murray's performance. But did he not think that, in his own case, he was still developing as a player in the slams immediately after he had won his first title? "Well [John] McEnroe was still ranked No1, and Mats Wilander was still at least the same as me, if not better, on clay at that time."

He accepted his tennis might have still been evolving, like Murray's. "Possibly. I hate to compare like that, but I see what you're trying to say. Possibly."

How has the experience of working with Murray in Melbourne this time compared with last year? "It was less hectic this year because last year was a novelty and everybody wanted to talk. This year you guys have left me alone a lot more and it's a lot easier for me."

With a year's experience together, are they a better team? "No doubt about it. We have learned about each other and understand each other better. I think that would [be the case] in any team, in any relationship, that you would do better after a year."

Is it more enjoyable for that reason? "Yeah, that's one of the reasons. I've got my golf game set up very well too, so that was very enjoyable."

Murray talks of the importance of peaking at right time – how did they go about achieving that as a team? "Well unfortunately you're not in control of your schedule. You're not in full control of when you play. You're not in full control of how long the matches are. So that affects things. And every player is different. Some players need a tough match early, some need a tough match before the final, some don't need a tough match. So you don't go about it, you just have to deal with the cards you have."

Lendl said Djokovic's extra day of rest before the final would not have any effect – "Not at the age both guys are and the fitness they have" – and he has been impressed with Murray's energy levels throughout the tournament, especially in the semi-final against Roger Federer.

"It was great that he didn't dawdle around in the matches when he was in control and finished them, and most likely it can only help. I felt Andy was a little bit ahead in the [semi-final] the entire time. I don't know what the exact number of breaks against Andy and breaks against Roger were, but it would be big in Andy's favour, probably 6-2. [Murray converted six of 16, Federer two of six] And I remember playing a match like that myself.

"It's somewhat frustrating as you haven't been broken. I played the semi-final of Wimbledon against Slobodan Zivojinovic one year, I think it was '86 [it was], it was, like, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 [actually 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4]. It's very frustrating, because the guy isn't making any inroads on your serve but you find yourself two sets all and you know you have been the better player. The good point there was that Andy's fitness came through. I think it was apparent that he was fitter in the fifth set than Roger and that's why that set was relatively – using that word loosely – relatively easy."

Lendl, though, was most impressed with the way Murray handled the frustration of blowing the fourth set, when he was serving for the match at 6-5, and distracted by an exchange of words and looks with Federer.

"Yes I'm very proud of him, how he dealt with it. It has to do with preparation, though. If you feel you're strong and you don't feel like you are going to run out of gas, it's a lot easier to deal with that than if you feel I've only got four more games in me or something. If you feel, OK, I can play three more sets I'm fine, it's a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill of losing the fourth set in a tie-breaker."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/26/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-team
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Lendl News « Reply #76 on: January 27, 2013, 01:00 AM »

I really like Lendl and I hope he stays Murray's coach for years to come. The guy has done God's gift to Murray in twelve months, imagine in 2 or 3 years?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Lendl News « Reply #77 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45 AM »

No doubt Lendl has been an outstanding addition to Andy's team.

But I credit Andy for acknowledging he needed to look outside his circle for that little piece of 'extra.'
It can't have been easy decision for him to bring in such a formiddable and respected member of the tennis establishment.

I'm thrilled it's working. yes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lendl News « Reply #78 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43 AM »

Me too Linda.  I think it's enormously to Andy's credit that he brought in someone who he knew would push him to play in ways that he'd resisted hitherto.  It just showed how he was determined to get better and better and not to stand still in any way.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl News « Reply #79 on: January 27, 2013, 07:45 AM »

The courage Andy showed in appointing Lend,l in the full glare of a hostile media, makes me go all all 
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Lendl News « Reply #80 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Love how lendl is happy to ignore the press as much as he can and points out he can do his job better when they're not getting in the way lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Lendl News « Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 03:48 PM »

I really like Lendl and I hope he stays Murray's coach for years to come. The guy has done God's gift to Murray in twelve months, imagine in 2 or 3 years?

Couldn't agree more.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lendl News « Reply #82 on: January 28, 2013, 07:45 PM »

Apparently Lendl told one journo, Simon Reed? that Andy was the most talented player he'd ever seen.
Frew responded, had he not seen Fed. Rolling Eyes  Of course Frew would say that!
However, Lendl's comment is most interesting/encouraging. thumb up
 Presumably he's seen a few players in his time Whistle and no reason for him to lie either.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Lendl News « Reply #83 on: January 28, 2013, 10:15 PM »

Apparently Lendl told one journo, Simon Reed? that Andy was the most talented player he'd ever seen.
Frew responded, had he not seen Fed. Rolling Eyes  Of course Frew would say that!
However, Lendl's comment is most interesting/encouraging. thumb up
 Presumably he's seen a few players in his time Whistle and no reason for him to lie either.

The thing about that is that Lendl, for all his joking, doesn't talk BS, if you'll pardon the term. If that is what he said he means it.

I always like the way Lendl has a longterm view of Andy. He is able to see where Andy is, but he seems to be able to see where he could be too. I think that is why Andy has done so well with Lendl. Sure, there is respect, but Lendl seems to have such belief in Andy. It seems to have done Andy's confidence the power of good.

It really struck me whilst watching Andy play Federer, even the way Andy walks on the court between points is different now. He looked in control and assertive in the match even between the points. Sure, winning helps with that, but I think some of it comes down to the added confidence and belief he has now, some of which comes, maybe because Lendl believes in him.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Lendl News « Reply #84 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18 PM »

The thing about that is that Lendl, for all his joking, doesn't talk BS, if you'll pardon the term. If that is what he said he means it.

I always like the way Lendl has a longterm view of Andy. He is able to see where Andy is, but he seems to be able to see where he could be too. I think that is why Andy has done so well with Lendl. Sure, there is respect, but Lendl seems to have such belief in Andy. It seems to have done Andy's confidence the power of good.

It really struck me whilst watching Andy play Federer, even the way Andy walks on the court between points is different now. He looked in control and assertive in the match even between the points. Sure, winning helps with that, but I think some of it comes down to the added confidence and belief he has now, some of which comes, maybe because Lendl believes in him.

I think it's more a case of Andy believing in himself more than lendl, lendl has even stated that himself
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Lendl News « Reply #85 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37 PM »

Guys,I'm not quite sure where to put this,but here seems like the best place.

So,basically,I was bored this morning (and ok,admittedly putting off studying too :p ) so googled Lendl,hoping to get some recent inteviews with him that I hadn't seen or something.Instead I came across this interview-god,it's years and years old now,as it took place when his daughter Marika was 14 and she's in her twenties now!-and it was about his daughter playing golf.It was mostly about her,but they interviewed Lendl too,and he said this,which I just thought was absolutely lovely

"I think every kid should have their dreams and, whatever their dreams are, I'll do my best to help them to achieve them. Whether it's my kids or any other kids, if they say I want to do this or that, I say, `How do you want to go about it and how can I help you?' "

I think,without Lendl actually saying a huge amount about himself (which we all know he almost never willingly does! Very Happy ) it says a lot about him.Made me glad all over again that he's in Andy's corner Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Lendl News « Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52 PM »

It's his birthday today - 53.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Lendl News « Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Well then happy birthday Mr. Lendl!Hope he has a good day,whatever he's doing Smile
Wonder what Andy got him as a pressie...

[Edit] Just saw a tweet from Judy saying :

"judy murray ‏@judmoo
Mr Lendl's 53 today. I sent him (cheeky) birthday msj. His reply? "Please help me. I'm getting very old. Who ARE you?" Very Happy
[ Last edit by xxdanixx March 07, 2013, 02:41 PM ] IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Lendl News « Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54 PM »

Happy Birthday Mr Lendl.  I cannot believe that you are another Piscean.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Lendl News « Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 04:38 PM »

An interview (posted today) that Lendl did with his academy's website:

"What was your experience like growing up and playing (tennis)?

"Growing up and playing in Czechoslovakia was great. Obviously, life outside of sports wasn't that fantastic over there those days and tennis provided great possibilities and experience being with a team, being able to travel around the country and abroad as well, if you get better, and also gave us good work ethic."

What bring you the most joy in the process of working with these kids?

"I really enjoyed to see the kids and how much they improve. When they are working on something, and I could give a bunch of examples...when they are working on something and then I see them a month or two months later and they have improved also having results, having good results; going to tournaments and winning some trophies and beating players they were not beating before they came to our academy. That's what I really like."

Can you address, from your past, who were some of your great influences that are making you now one of the best coaches?

"Every player or every kid has to get some basics. I think that coach is one of the most important coaches, if not, the most important. If you get good fundamentals it's a lot easier to keep getting better than if you have flaws in your fundamentals and then those can be explore and they have to be addressed later. If somebody is 14 years old and has a bad grip and bad technique on the serve, it takes a long long time before they can fix it. Luckily for myself, I have been coached by a gentleman who gave me great fundamentals early on. From then, it was easier to learn how to play with the shots I had. Of course, there are very little tweaks here and there. My longest coach on the tour was Tony Roche and Tony is the best coach out there still today. I have learned a lot from him even though at that time, I didn't necessarily look for it that I will be coaching one day; but I have decent memories of what he was saying and how he was passing them to me and I try to do the same thing with the kids here (at the IJTA)."

Without giving away any secrets, what has it been like to coach a young man at the top of the world, or almost at the top of the world?

"Working with Andy is great. He's a hard worker and I knew that before we decided we were going to work together. Because if he wasn't, I probably wouldn't be doing that if I wasn't convinced he was going to work really hard. So there is nothing he is not going to do if he believes it is going to help him. Whether it's a lot of yoga, he works extremely hard off the court, he works extremely hard on the court and all those things. That makes it fun because you can always feel good about whatever the result. Even if he didn't win the Australian Open, I feel good about it because I feel that he has gotten better through the preparation for the Australian. That he was worked really hard in practice; he had a very good tournament. Unfortunately, Novak won, but Novak played like the No. 1 in the world should play. Hopefully soon we can reverse it."

What is the biggest challenge in working with Andy for you and/or Andy?

"I can not speak for Andy so I am not going to. For me, the travel. I don't like the travel. I have traveled so much in my life that whenever I have to go somewhere, it's the worst part of what we do together. The best parts are when we are on the court and we are preparing and practicing. I like the practice weeks a lot more than the tournament weeks because it's more fun. You get to interact more and also you see how much better he can get or how much he is getting."

http://lendltennis.com/blogs/147/?utm_campaign=Ivan&utm_source=6372&utm_term=&utm_medium=Twitter%3A+IvanLendlIJTA
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »