Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on?

(Read 3163 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 11:33 PM »

Good posting!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:53 AM »

It seems to me that just now there are quite a few changes occurring in Andy's world.  Lendl is slowly but surely taking Andy out of his comfort zone.  Not an easy task, as Andy is a creature of habit, like most of us.  But he's spent most of 2013 abroad, without his usual precious time in the UK away from all the pressures and demands that go with the job.  There is nothing like closing the door on the world and just having some personal time, far away from the madding crowd.  It was great for Andy having Kim, Maggie, Rusty and other family members with him in Miami but he has effectively been working flat out with the team for a very long time.

Sure, it's paid off, Andy's work ethic is phenomenal, but that amazing Miami final was a killer, real blood and guts stuff.  When a guy like Ferrer literally falls down with exhaustion you know that Andy is pushing himself way beyond a regular human being's physical limitations.  The plan was to win the tournament but it has to be said, winning came at a price.  The Monte Carlo draw was a nightmare with Andy's old nemesis Wawrinka coming way too early on for our Andy to be ready for such a tough encounter with the Swiss number two who positively relishes their encounters, especially on the dreaded dirt.  Andy wasn't ready, simple as, and I'm sure Lendl with his mature wisdom and experience will be incredibly reassuring and ease any doubts Andy may be having. 

The Lendl/Murray partnership is complex.  This is the first time Lendl has coached anyone, let alone a maverick like Andy Murray.  Andy is paying a lot of money to someone who has to make life awkward for him in order to get the best out of him.  It cannot be easy but it sure is fascinating.  Lendl is a man with a plan for Andy but that plan has to be flexible and forgiving in order to allow Andy time to adjust and re-develop.  He has achieved so much already with his god-given talent and incredible work ethic but it is exciting that he has employed the living legend that is Lendl to push him to even greater heights. 
Good posting!  And the same goes for Teejay's@7:20pm yesterday.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 09:07 AM »

I got the impression that the main reason for not doing the smaller tournaments was to stay fresh and avoid injury, and inevitably the time was also used for practice, and to try out some new things, which they  knew would take time.

Having said that, I can't help but think Andy has missed out on playing lots of smaller clay court tournaments when he was younger.  He moved up the rankings fast, and it made sense at the time that he played the tournaments to help him move up and stay up, but the result is that he's got a lot less experience of battling on the clay than other surfaces and most of his peers.  Playing well on that surface just isn't instinctive, so prone to breaking down under pressure.  Now he's a big scalp due to his overall success, but also someone they know is vulnerable, so he spends his clay season with a big target on his back, making it even harder to stay in control.

I've no idea how practical it would be, and it may well risk the rest of his season, but I can't help but think that entering a series of lesser clay court tournaments might help.   There is the risk that he'd not be able to control the quality of the opponents, so could be a terrible idea, lol.  In particular, I wouldn't want him to focus so much on his clay game that he's out of sorts for the grass season.  

It looked like some fairly serious practice with Berdych yesterday, so that's probably as good as it gets right now.

Also, it's worth remembering that we don't judge Andy's 2012 grass season based on how he did at Queens. Very Happy 

Early exits are not alien to Andy on the hard-courts either.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 09:55 AM »

What a refreshing thread! I'm not a tennis expert by any means but I enjoy listening to those who are and these are sensible postings, full of reasonable thought and very informative. Keep them going - the lack of negativity is delightful although why the loss of a match from a world top tennis player with masses of talent still to exploit and (who is already a multi-millionaire) should be viewed with such negativity I do not know.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:18 AM »

Probably working on a stand up comedy routine.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34 AM »

Well said janscribe. Very Happy

As much as I want Andy to win everything have a good clay court season, one early loss is only disappointing, not a disaster.  Even a tough loss like the one on Thursday.  He and we have to suffer commentators trying to make a drama out of it, not to mention Fed fans loving the consequences, but he's not a low ranked player struggling to afford the travel and accommodation for the next tournament.  He's not a mid-ranked player still waiting for that first title, or a solid top ten player closer to 30 than 25 still waiting for his first Masters title like Ferrer was this time last year.  Or a solid top 10 player who only once won a Masters, but it was years ago (in Paris).

He's managed to stay relatively injury free.  He has his niggles, but he seems to know how to manage them and is in a position where he can manage his schedule so should stay that way.

To be honest, I feel more sorry for Stan than Andy right now.  He had a great win, then went out the next round to someone he might have been expected to beat.  He's had some great matches, such as the one against Djokovic in AO, but he's never quite made it big, and he'll always be in Roger's shadow.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 12:11 PM »

Also, it's worth remembering that we don't judge Andy's 2012 grass season based on how he did at Queens. Very Happy 

I couldn't say about here, I wasn't around before Wimbledon last year, but Andy was judged quite heavily in the wider world after he lost to Mahut at Queen's. There were people (I know because I seemed to spend days arguing with them lol) who said Andy was going to have a bad Wimbledon. When he lost the exhibition matches (I mean, honestly!) at Boodles he, apparently, was going out of Wimbledon in the first round. The whole country seemed to be biting its nails, waiting for Wimbledon to be a disaster. I'm not going to bother to state the obvious and say what actually happened, but it made me laugh.

The thing that got me about that time is that I thought Andy was being hastily judged. I also thought Mahut wasn't credited with the respect (by people other than Andy I mean) he was due. I mean, Mahut might never win Wimbles, but I think he's shown he can play on the grass. Also, he had already played a round at Queen's last year. Andy played his first match against him and just got caught a bit cold.

I think something similar happened against Stan at MC. Andy has had some tight encounters with Stan anyway (remember the classic at Wimbles under the roof?), even on surfaces that arguably favour Andy. Stan has also played a lot of clay court tennis this year too. I think Andy was still making the adjustment to the clay.

I think the thing that makes what happened against Stan stand out to so much is that Andy played so well against ERV. Maybe Andy would, with all due respect, beat ERV if they played on an ice-rink or in a sand-pit. Stan, on the other hand, has pushed Andy before, and has beaten him twice on clay, so he was surely able to play with some belief he could win. I don't think he was as confident against Tsonga, and the result said as much.

I do think Andy can take a bit longer than some to make the change between surfaces. I don't know if that is due to the knee or the mind, but either way I'm sure it's something he and Lendl are aware of. I just think it was unfortunate that he got Stan so early in MC. Maybe just a round later and the result might have been different. We'll never know now.

I also think we need to give Andy a bit of leeway. Some players can take a while to get used to winning their first major. Andy's position in the game has changed quite a bit over the last 12 months. He's not such a hunter now as one of the hunted, maybe that is taking some time to get used to. I do think, just from observation, that Andy does look a tiny bit more nervous in matches recently, but I have every faith that he and Lendl will work on the things they need to work on and Andy will be fine.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 12:45 PM »

Another excellent posting, teejay! Many thanks.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Lets look at it this way, chances are every player has one awful match they want to forget in a season. so hopefully that's Andy had his!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Lets look at it this way, chances are every player has one awful match they want to forget in a season. so hopefully that's Andy had his!

yes yes
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Well done Teejay.Let's hope you are right I'd forgotten about Andy's disastrous start to Queens last year However I still feel that these awful dips in form that he suffers are signs of an unfortunate weakness.
Andy, if not yet with the very best, is surely the  best of the rest  That is  much more than I hoped for when I first heard about him in 2006
  Roll on Madrid hope springs eternal
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14 PM »

I hope so too - and I bet that applies to Federer and his three consecutive DF's in one game in last year's Shanghai Masters SF against Andy which had seasoned comms gasping with shock and saying they'd never seen anything like it on the professional tennis circuit?  It was a particularly poor match overall by his standards as well.

As far as I'm concerned what happened at Monte Carlo is firmly in the past where it belongs, and I think Andy now has the mental fortitude to do the same.  Madrid is another week and another tournament, so onwards and upwards!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 09:14 PM »

It's interesting, but Andy was mentioned today during the coverage of the semi's in MC. I'm not one usually to agree with Barry Cowan, the bloke just irritates me, but lately I've found myself agreeing with some of his views on Andy. He has put down what happened in MC as just a bad day, nothing more than that. He does seem to think Andy should get a wild-card for Barcelona, which I disagree with (scarily, I agree with Greg Rusedski on that one, Andy has decided his schedule for the year and should stick to it) but he doesn't think MC will have any bearing on Andy in the French, and he believes Andy will be back at 2 in the world before the French.

As far as I'm concerned Andy is the second best player in the world just now. That doesn't change drastically because of an off day. Don't get me wrong, if he started stringing off days together in great long runs I'd worry, but he hasn't and won't. BB I think the only unfortunate weakness Andy has now is the people who come up with the tournament draws to be honest. He was just unfortunate to come up against an in form player who plays very well on clay very early early in MC. Andy's whole draw, apart from the second round, was tough. I have a sneaky feeling the tournament organisers wanted a Nadal/Djokovic final to be honest, but there we are. Andy will move on now. Time we did the same I think.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 09:32 PM »

As far as the wildcard for Barca is concerned, Andy says he planned to return to London briefly before going to Madrid, so if he'd played there that would have been difficult, especially as he'll have to get to Madrid quite early so as to acclimatise to the atltitude there.

Of course there's now speculation that Andy could be going to London to pick up his OBE.  On the other hand it could just be that he wants to touch base for a few days, something which is understandable given how long he's been away recently.  It's equally possible though that it's a combination of both given that he's going to have to get the award at some point this year, and I've checked and found that there is an investiture due very soon, but Andy being Andy we're unlikely to hear anything about it until after the event whether it's now or later on in the year.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50 PM »

Andy has to stick to the plan so Berca is out of the question no matter what happened at MC. I don't think MC was a serious attempt anyway.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »