Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, LIVE - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Entourage  >  What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on?

(Read 2519 times)
Rachie
Seed

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Barry Cowan has become somewhat of a Murray fan lately teejay-- i dont know why pre-Us open he was soo critical of Andy always.

On reflection I agree it was a bad day and I don't think it means Andy will have a crap clay season. I'm sure team Murray have already dissected the performance and they are moving forward from it.

Madrid is a weird event really. Last year Fed- Berdych were the 2 finalists, 2 players who are better on a HC, which could mean Andy has a chance to do well here, as its definitely not a traditional clay court.

Let Rafa and Nole grind themselves silly this claycourt season....come wimbledon Andy will be relatively fresh and ready to pounce!

IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Andy has to stick to the plan so Berca is out of the question no matter what happened at MC. I don't think MC was a serious attempt anyway.

I think we'll see Andy performing at or close to his best at RG. I think thats the aim of the Muzza team. Andy has pretty much stated that in the press prior to the start of the clay season.

Win or lose the prior comps ...they serve the function of training Andy for RG.

Nadal V Djoko is the finalmost would have wanted at MC...but I reckon that match benefits Andy the most. In fact perhaps avoiding those 2 until RG is a good thing for Andy.
[ Last edit by ABF April 20, 2013, 10:39 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 11:18 PM »

Yes, I think he should reserve his best for RG. I was thrown off a bit or a lot maybe, because I just had a different calculation going on as far as the clay season was concerned but now I know.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Madrid is a weird event really. Last year Fed- Berdych were the 2 finalists, 2 players who are better on a HC, which could mean Andy has a chance to do well here, as its definitely not a traditional clay court.

It was that weird blue clay last year. I can't remember what Andy said about it but I know both Rafa and Nole hated it. I think they both went out early - 3rd round or something. I think Verdasco beat Rafa.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 11:41 PM »

The blue clay caused a few strange results in Madrid last year. I was glad Andy didn't play. It looked very slippery. Iona, I think you're right about Verdasco. I know for sure that I watched the match. I remember Rafa looking livid.

I don't know about playing on it, but that blue clay looked awful on TV. It just looked like a tatty hard court. Very weird.

Just one more thing, and its me being a bit random. Does anyone else remember one of the comms in MC mentioning green grass earlier in the week? I was quite unwell on Monday and Tuesday, but I wondered what possible other colour grass might be. I think the comm in question was talking about the blue clay compared to red, then he said something about green grass. It was strange! I can't remember who it was!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 12:19 AM »

It was that weird blue clay last year. I can't remember what Andy said about it but I know both Rafa and Nole hated it. I think they both went out early - 3rd round or something. I think Verdasco beat Rafa.
Yes Verdasco did beat Rafa in R3 whilst Nole succumbed to Tipsarevic in the QF.  A lot of people claimed that both of them tanked and, if they did, then I didn't blame them.  I was also relieved that Andy was forced to withdraw because he has enough trouble as it is coping with the slipperiness of the red dirt.  The blue looked ghastly anyway and bore little resemblance to clay.  In fact to me it looked like a carpet and I found it hard on the eyes as well.  From this photo of Nole it seems pretty obvious what the problem was, although Federer claimed he couldn't see what the fuss was about and that he felt quite comfortable with that surface.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 21, 2013, 12:24 AM ] IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Andy spent more time in Miami to work with Ivan on his clay court game, even missing Davis Cup just to do better on clay. Judging by both MC and Madrid, this concentrated effort is not furthering his cause on clay much at all. *shame*
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41 AM »

Level wise i think he is exactly the same as he was in the latter part of 2012, from Wimbledon onwards he has definately improved certain aspects of his game, and maybe people assumed (or rather hoped) that after his slam win he would do a Djokovic this year and start opening up a few cans of whoop ass in every tournament.

We can't really complain this year, 3 finals and 2 Trophies, a rise to number 2 in the world, and he is starting to gain a certain amount of respect now that was missing pre the US open last year, but the question now is, has he reached his pinnacle? is this the level he will be at for the next few years while he is at his peak? if so great, we can look forward to a few more slams, hopefully Wimbledon, double figures in masters events and a very decent career.

But there is a part of me that so much wants him to go beyond where he currently sits in the tennis Pantheon, i want him to be remembered as one of the all time legends not just a British legend, his name used in the same breath as Borg, Mcenroe, Federer etc, it would be a shame if he reflects on his career thinking if only....

I hope he wants more from himself, something tells me he would not be happy with just one slam win, or never getting to number 1 in the world even if it was just once in his career, even Roddick managed that. Don't get me wrong, after years of Tim Henman Andy has been a breath of fresh air, and i am overjoyed at what he has accomplished, i just hope he wants more and gets more, then i'll be even happier.

I think he deserves it.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58 AM »

Even if he does not reach No 1 I feel he could still go down as a great as statiscally he actually is.  He has done things other players have never done and in the most intense era ever.i.e he reached a GS final immediately after winning his first GS title.  No-one else has ever done this even in the easier eras.  Obviously we would all love him to be a multiple slam winner etc. but I am delighted with what he has done.  As for the nonsense that he will be one time GS winner.  I suspect these are the same people who said he would never reach higher than 4 and never win one (my son is one of those so we no longer talk about Andy).
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 07:56 AM »

RT @crosscourt1: Mr. Lendl has some work to do with his charge Andy Murray ahead of the French Open.

knowing Craig Gabriel, the man behind this twitter account, is a good friend of Ivan's, this comment from him really surprised me.

Though I do agree with it and hope Craig shares this with Ivan too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What do you think Andy and Lendl are 'working' on? « Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42 PM »

I don't think Andy will be ever satisfied with what he has already done as long as he is able to compete at the top level. He strikes me as being the sort for whom ambition won't die. I know he said after the USO win that he could retire happy now, knowing he'd won one, but I never took the comment at face value. It was a comment full of relief and joy, not the comment of a man who really thought he was done.

Personally I think you've only got to look at Andy to see how much he wants more. Would he seriously put himself through all the work he does if he was quite happy to settle now? Would he have taken on Lendl, a multi-slam winner himself, to settle for one major? Even if you forget the game for a second and look at the practicalities, continuing to pay Lendl (I bet he didn't come cheap) would probably be a waste if Andy really didn't want to work for more. Lendl might even consider it a waste of his time. I doubt very much, as well as they get on, that he works for Andy purely out of the goodness of his heart lol.

I still firmly believe Andy will be a multi-slam winner and that he will go down as one of the all time greats of the game. I'll believe it won't happen when, and only when, it doesn't. There is nothing certain in sport of course, it's never that easy, but I believe Andy has every chance of winning more majors, and I also believe he will get to no.1.

The only other thing about Andy is that I'm 100% certain he will only be fully appreciated when he is gone. Look at what he has done in his career. 26 career titles, 9 Masters titles, an Olympic singles gold and mixed doubles silver and a major, and he isn't yet 26. When comms (Petch does it a bit and I think it's fascinating) reel off facts and stats relating to the various achievements players past and present have had, Andy's name is right up there with multi-slam winners, those who are recognised as the greats. Andy is also right there in the mix to win tournaments, someone who can be counted on to consistently get to the business end. Sure, it's more difficult on the clay for him, but on hard and grass he is consistently right there, and who is to say that won't happen for him on the clay before he stops? I wouldn't bet against him. However, I don't think that what Andy has already done is fully understood or appreciated at the moment, and won't be until we return to a time when Britain has no one at the top of the game, no one challenging for titles, whether that be majors, masters or whatever. When Andy is no longer playing people will look back and remember when he was a serious contender and he will be missed. When that time comes I hope Andy just thinks 'stuff 'em' or words to that effect, because they should appreciate him now.

Andy might not be perfect (close, mind you Whistle) and he might lose the odd match, even some he should win, but he is a brilliant, brilliant tennis player, the best Britain has had in the modern era by a country mile, and for my money the most entertaining and engaging character at the top of the game, because he is real. As far as I'm concerned he deserves every second of the success he has had and long may it continue.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »