Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Use this nickname?
Yes - it's OK - 3 (9.1%)
No - not on yer nellie.  Drop it! - 25 (75.8%)
Not really bothered. - 5 (15.2%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

"The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not

(Read 2078 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

"The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « on: August 16, 2013, 09:29 AM »

Hi everyone.  My first poll here, but I think it's important.

Now, everyone has, within the bounds of common courtesy and decency, the right to write and post what they wish, and I wouldn't want to suggest otherwise.  But here's my beef....

We seem to have introduced "The Tradesman" nickname for Andy into the forum.  Personally, I find it a mildly insulting reference  to the genius of one of the greatest tennis players in the world, and one of the most successful British athletes of all time.  The reigning Olympic, US Open and Wimbledon champion a "tradesman"?  I just don't get it.

Would we call Usain Bolt, or Tiger Woods, or Bradley Wiggins a "tradesman"?  Somehow I don't think so.

When I saw the thread title "Cincinnati QF: Andy 'The Tradesman' Murray vs Tomas 'Twitter' Berdych!!" it doesn't resonate to me at all.  To be honest, it grates just to read it.  

I reckon that others feel the same way.  On the other hand, perhaps the majority don't really mind, so let's find out with the poll.

Thanks for voting

(Puts down laptop and dives behind the sofa to avoid the incoming flak.......) Whistle
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Lol prodigy Joe is gonna be after your guts for garters  w00t
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Lol prodigy Joe is gonna be after your guts for garters  w00t

Yup - guess so! C'est la vie!

(I took the laptop behind the sofa with me, and am peering at the screen through half shut eyes, fingers and toes crossed....)
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38 AM »

I'm not asking any one else to use it, but I will continue to use it, as I am well within my rights to use it.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Yup - guess so! C'est la vie!

(I took the laptop behind the sofa with me, and am peering at the screen through half shut eyes, fingers and toes crossed....)

Joe is a non violent soul you will be OK  pray
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:40 AM »

Joe is a non violent soul you will be OK  pray

It's a long way from Manchester to Glasgae, and the "dear green place" is a big city........
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41 AM »

I'm not asking any one else to use it, but I will continue to use it, as I am well within my rights to use it.

Of course you are Prod.  However I'm hoping that if there is a substantial majority opposed to it that you might reconsider....
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41 AM »

It's a long way from Manchester to Glasgae, and the "dear green place" is a big city........

I am in Edinburgh at the moment...

*runs* lol
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Why does he need a nickname at all ?  Andy is Andy. (USO and Wimbledon champ but still Andy ). 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55 AM »

thanks for the poll mp.  Of course prod you're in your rights to use the nickname but like mp I wish you'd not introduced it into a poll. And I really do NOT want to see a match report with it in its title!!! I think you can work out how I voted!!!  Whistle
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:56 AM »

I hate it being foisted on the forum in match title threads.  Plus Kevin's Silent Assassin is much more fun.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06 AM »

I updated the match thread and poll.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11 AM »

I am in Edinburgh at the moment...

*runs* lol

(Mickeypops has left the country.....)
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:09 AM »

I updated the match thread and poll.

Thanks Prod
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: "The Tradesman" nickname - keep or not « Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Drop it.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »