Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 ... 222 Go Down Reply
Author

2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 43876 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3030 on: September 15, 2012, 02:15 PM »

I do feel Andy will have to settle things with Nadal once he's back. That's going to be Andy's biggest task especially on a big stage. Can't wait for that to happen. And Nadal is also quite vulnerable at the moment and probably not feeling tennis as much, but still, this is all assumptions on my part and won't really know until he comes back. I wish him all the best though. I've also decided to enjoy Federer on his last days rather than ....not. Not sure how long that's going to last though. lololol
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 15, 2012, 02:41 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3031 on: September 15, 2012, 02:18 PM »

Of course but he's a genuine hater so no point having a civil discussion with him and he's not even a Federer fan. He's your average betting man who I believe lost some money after he picked Andy to win a couple of times. I am sure there's a history behind his hatred but who cares, really. I just wanted to rub it in. It was time.
I'm confused. confused
Who are you calling a hater, Emma?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3032 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20 PM »

I'm confused. confused
Who are you calling a hater, Emma?

A poster called Dirtykash on the other forum. He's been hating on Andy since 2008 and even after the win just this Monday, he wasn't willing to give Andy any credit.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3033 on: September 15, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Ah.. okay. I was confused because you had quoted Nigel.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3034 on: September 15, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Ah.. okay. I was confused because you had quoted Nigel.

I did because there's a quote from Dirtykash as well in my post where he said that Andy's won because Nole had to play 2 big matches back to back to which Nigel said that, Andy had to go through the same in 2008.

Dirtykash might have lost some money betting on Andy as he's your regular betting man. Could be why he's still a bit bitter about Andy's win this Monday. Also, he's a big Raonic fan so that adds to that as well. I am not sure though if he's American or Canadian but I know a lot of the American guys are big fans of Raonic.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3035 on: September 15, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Hi All,

The thing that strikes me, looking back now, is how calm Andy was in the final. I really don't recall much berating himself, smacking his head, smacking the racquet, that sort of thing. I also don't recall much looking over towards Ivan, Kim and co, although maybe he did. When Petch is commentating he doesn't seem to remark on that sort of thing, whereas Barry 'excuse me while I crawl up my own backside' Cowan pounces every time Andy so much as murmurs. Andy should ask him how many slams he's won Whistle.

I must just say, I think Petch and Fleming did a great job for Sky with the commentary. It was the right balance between neutral and really in to it, although I swear Petch almost sounded like he couldn't breathe towards the end!

You know, I'd almost forgotten about that loss to Chardy. It felt completely irrelevant to me at the time, and it proved to be. How far did Chardy get at Flushing Meadows? I just didn't see a point in Andy going all out to save that match, and he probably could have, with the USO so close. There would have been no point in saving that and doing well in Cincy to then go on and have a bad time at the USO. I'm not really suggesting anything about tanking, but I think there are times when certain losses don't mean anything, and that was one of those times. The same applies to the Mahut match at Queen's, and definitely applies to Andy losing to Raonic in Barcelona. At the end of the day Andy won the USO (I love saying that yay), he got to the Wimbledon final, and he taught Raonic a lesson he is unlikely to forget any time soon at the USO. Job done for now, I would say!

What I still can't get over is picking Andy so far ahead of this year's USO and then him going and doing it! I knew I should have put a few quid on the lad! I just felt, seriously, that something has been changing in him for a while, even before Lendl arrived, and it would come to fruition for him by the time this year's USO came round. Lendl's arrival sort of sealed it for me. Somehow I knew they would click, and they have, big time. I'm glad Lendl gets the importance of the Olympics and sees it as a big one.

I think Andy can take so much from this USO. He won for a start, and got the monkey off his back. No more will he have to endure being asked when he is going to win a major. No more will people be able to question if he will win one. There will be no more doubts that he fits right in with that elite group at the top. Remember when it was being said that Andy was losing ground on the top guys, and that some behind him were catching him up? What utter rubbish. Andy has shown that he fits right within the top four and there is still plenty of room, and time, for more.

I think Andy can take so much from the way he dealt with the pressure moments at the USO. He was clearly nervous and struggling physically against Bogomolov, but he won in straight sets anyway. He toughed it out against Lopez and did his thing in three tie-breaks. People will insist that Andy wasn't playing well in that match. I look at it differently. Sometimes I think you have to give an opponent a little credit. I still feel that Lopez played out of his skin that day. I still don't recall seeing him play better than that against anyone, let alone Andy. Andy's back was right to the wall with Cilic, but it's weird, at no point did I think he would lose. Either I'm psychic or Andy is brilliant, you take your pick Whistle. Against Berdych Andy coped better with the conditions. He was also very tough in that 4th set. Just about anyone else might have found themselves in a fifth set there. Not Andy, not now. In the final Andy was physically strong and mentally tough. I do think he was picking himself back up in the 4th set, but I also think that bathroom break was such a wise move. It tells me that he was thinking clearly, working out what to do and getting himself ready to do it. I also think that when it came down to it he wanted to win, didn't want to lose another one, so he went out there and fought. I think he played a total blinder in that 5th set. It reminded me so much of the way he was against Fed at the Olympics. It was like he'd made up his mind he wanted it, he was going to take it and that was it. I just think that shows how mentally strong he is. I really do think being able to take stock like that before that fifth set will help him when he is in that position again.

I just feel at the moment that this year we have watched Andy come of age right in front of us. I think there was always a potential for him to play this well and get to where he wants to be, but now we are seeing it. It feels damned good! The exciting thing for us, which could scare the hell out of opponents, is that there may be room for Andy to get even better. I think we can look to the future now with real optimism.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3036 on: September 15, 2012, 04:23 PM »

There were definitely a few unexpected twists and turns in this tournament. For example, Lopez playing out of his skin definitely threw Andy off and he didn't look as prepared. And as to Cilic, the change of court again threw him off. I wasn't too keen on his opening match because sometimes players tend to struggle in their first match in a GS. Anyway, Andy needs to be a lot more professional than that and adjusts those tricky situations/changes as well. In the end he did but the Cilic match was costly and very, very hard fought especially in the 2nd set. However, he played very well against Dodig, Raonic and Berdcy and the last two matches were massive as they had the potential for an upset; plus the conditions were really tricky against Berdych. So kudos to those performance.  All in all, I thought every performance was very memorable...at least most of them and I guess somewhat controversial as well.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3037 on: September 15, 2012, 05:51 PM »

I do feel Andy will have to settle things with Nadal once he's back. That's going to be Andy's biggest task especially on a big stage. Can't wait for that to happen. And Nadal is also quite vulnerable at the moment and probably not feeling tennis as much, but still, this is all assumptions on my part and won't really know until he comes back. I wish him all the best though. I've also decided to enjoy Federer on his last days rather than ....not. Not sure how long that's going to last though. lololol

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing how this matchup goes in the future. Although Rafa's comfortably ahead in the head-to-head, they are almost even on hard courts and I feel that Andy's game matches up well with Rafa on a hard court. The USO loss last year was a surprise for me - I was expecting the match to be a lot closer than it was, though there has been a vast improvements in Andy's mentality and more aggressive forehand since then. Hopefully he can start to improve the head-to-head over the next few years.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3038 on: September 15, 2012, 06:00 PM »

I think we should also give a mention to the following people who picked Andy to win the US open and were ridiculed for it, i guess they had the last laugh

Mats Wilander

Goran Ivanisavec

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3039 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02 PM »

so from now on guys.  You will hear the words  Andy Murray.  US Open and Olympic Champion echo through your heads and  when he walks out onto the O2  YEC.  Very Happy  WOW.   (and other tournaments )  man the foreign commies will love him.  (hopefully)  Gosh  I'm far too excited.    
BRING ON THAT DAMN ASIAN SWING.  We have got some defending to do Muzz.    yay  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3040 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11 PM »

I think we should also give a mention to the following people who picked Andy to win the US open and were ridiculed for it, i guess they had the last laugh

Mats Wilander

Goran Ivanisavec

So glad that Goran dismissed the widely-held idea that Nadal's absence would benefit Andy. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3041 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55 PM »

I loved the Goran one and noticed how dead on he was re: Nadal and hard courts.

IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3042 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48 PM »

I reckon Rafa will come back even stronger or his career is finished ...i can't see an inbetween. I hope he makes it back he's a great player. I would prefer he came back strong also so there is no ambiguity as to where Andy is in world tennis. Tired of hearing the derisory talk from the Murray haters..... let there be no doubt how good Andy is.

Also, SmugFed is on the slide ...and he knows it.

IMO ... No.1 straight fight between Djoko, Muzza and Rafa.
[ Last edit by ABF September 15, 2012, 10:57 PM ] IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3043 on: September 15, 2012, 11:46 PM »

Just read online in the mail that Andy said he used to get hate mail sent to his locker room at Wimbledon.Thats terrible,terrible,terrible.Breaks my heart it does brought tears to my eyes,when i read it.Whats the matter with people these days.Well at least he's had the last laugh,bless him.Hope he has a fab day tomorrow. hug
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3044 on: September 16, 2012, 12:27 AM »

Just read online in the mail that Andy said he used to get hate mail sent to his locker room at Wimbledon.Thats terrible,terrible,terrible.Breaks my heart it does brought tears to my eyes,when i read it.Whats the matter with people these days.Well at least he's had the last laugh,bless him.Hope he has a fab day tomorrow. hug

Yep....sad..pathetic.. cowards send hate mail. To a sportsman of all of all people...of all the things they could hate...they hate a sportsman...I hope andy just laughed at it...coz thats all its worth ..if that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 ... 222 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »