Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 222 Go Down Reply
Author

2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 43496 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3090 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Hi All,

Just in case anyone has forgotten, Andy won the USO on my birthday, or rather, it was still my birthday in New York when he won. What I want to know is do I have to have at least three birthdays a year now to inspire him? Andy love, that won't do the ageing process any good at all!

I'm thinking I might just need to invent a few celebrations, just to act as motivation for him. You know what I mean, things like: 

Tracy's got PMT so she needs Andy to win (insert major of choice here) Day.
Tracy wants Andy to thrash Fed again Day - that might become a favourite actually!

I'd settle for:

Pissing Virginia off is so much fun Day, as well as
For God's sake, just win Day.

Anyone got any other ideas?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3091 on: September 18, 2012, 03:44 PM »

I shouldn't worry Teejay! With the number of members we now have on this site, it's bound to be somebody's birthday on any given date!  Very Happy
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3092 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02 PM »

I shouldn't worry Teejay! With the number of members we now have on this site, it's bound to be somebody's birthday on any given date!  Very Happy

I'm afraid my birthday is in mid December when I assume there is no tennis? However this year I am celebrating it early on 10 November which should coincide with the end of the World Tour Finals? Does that count?  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3093 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10 PM »

Well that's true lol. Maybe we can take turns to have an official birthday, like the Queen, if a final falls on a date where none of us do have a proper birthday lol.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3094 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11 PM »

I'm afraid my birthday is in mid December when I assume there is no tennis? However this year I am celebrating it early on 10 November which should coincide with the end of the World Tour Finals? Does that count?  Whistle

I'd say that counts. I can't remember off the top of my head when the WTF finishes, but we'll agree it counts for now lol.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3095 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28 PM »

I'd say that counts. I can't remember off the top of my head when the WTF finishes, but we'll agree it counts for now lol.

Lol. I think it might be the 11th actually as the competition to win tickets on the Tennis Space is for Wednesday 7 November?

To get back on topic thanks for the full recording of the final someone posted. I haven't had the chance to watch it all yet but I did watch all the post match comments (I've watched the separate video of the final game several times) which was great to see. It's hard to believe from them that these are the same commentators (not Petchey et al obviously) that I've read are quite negative!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3096 on: September 20, 2012, 12:58 PM »

Such a great match this was. Djokovic is such a humble guy and top competitor. I can't wait for the two to face of in the Aussie Open  Final :p
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3097 on: September 28, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Just had time to watch the whole match yesterday and today at last. The tennis quality throughout was very good and became outstanding from the middle of the 4th set onwards. What mental fortitude Andy showed and fought toe to toe with Novak. Andy played fantastic in the 5th set whilst Novak ran put of juice a little and got a little cramp.

When Andy let loose on his FH, he became unplayable. The way he moved Novak from side to side must have exhausted the latter.

I am glad Andy got an extra day to rest his weary legs before the final whilst Novak had to play to 3 consecutive days.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3098 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16 PM »

Just had time to watch the whole match yesterday and today at last. The tennis quality throughout was very good and became outstanding from the middle of the 4th set onwards. What mental fortitude Andy showed and fought toe to toe with Novak. Andy played fantastic in the 5th set whilst Novak ran put of juice a little and got a little cramp.

When Andy let loose on his FH, he became unplayable. The way he moved Novak from side to side must have exhausted the latter.

I am glad Andy got an extra day to rest his weary legs before the final whilst Novak had to play to 3 consecutive days.

To be fair Novak played one set on the saturday. Then he had 3 easy sets on the sunday. He had also won all his previous matches in straight sets so I don't think playing 3 consecutive days would have affected him. In hindsight though I think playing and winning Toronto and reaching the final in Cinncy may have done him physically a bit. I remember the year Andy got beat by Wawrinka he folded physically and that was the same year he won in Canada and played a good few matches at Cinncy. He may also have played at the Farmers' Classic in LA. Point is its probably OK to have one tournament before the USO but going all out to win the 2 Masters events is maybe a bad idea. In hindsight Andy's woeful performances in Canada and Cinncy were a good thing and enabled him to come through some tough matches and still remain relatively fresh for the final.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3099 on: September 28, 2012, 11:26 PM »

In hindsight Andy's woeful performances in Canada and Cinncy were a good thing and enabled him to come through some tough matches and still remain relatively fresh for the final.

Accident or design?
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3100 on: September 28, 2012, 11:44 PM »

To be fair Novak played one set on the saturday. Then he had 3 easy sets on the sunday. He had also won all his previous matches in straight sets so I don't think playing 3 consecutive days would have affected him. In hindsight though I think playing and winning Toronto and reaching the final in Cinncy may have done him physically a bit. I remember the year Andy got beat by Wawrinka he folded physically and that was the same year he won in Canada and played a good few matches at Cinncy. He may also have played at the Farmers' Classic in LA. Point is its probably OK to have one tournament before the USO but going all out to win the 2 Masters events is maybe a bad idea. In hindsight Andy's woeful performances in Canada and Cinncy were a good thing and enabled him to come through some tough matches and still remain relatively fresh for the final.

Although Novak only played 1 set on Saturday, the wait for Andy match to finish and knowing that the storm was coming meant that he had 1 day less time than Andy to mentally relax and prepare for the final. It also gave Andy and Ivan more time to analyse Novak technique and realised that the latter is uncomfortable playing in the wind. This proves critical in evening out the odds as Andy had more a tiring SF and earlier rounds and was able to take advantage of the wind and Novak high UE count to take the first 2 sets.

I agree that Andy playing little in the 2 Master series before the USO allowed him to be fresh for the USO.

What is really exciting is the 5th set. Once Andy decided to go for it in the 5th set, he was really dominating play and driving his opponents back and side to side. Some of Andy FH in the 5th set were mouth wateringly powerful. They moved through the court so quickly that Novak had no chance to reach the ball.

I am hoping that with confidence, Andy will be able to consistently bring that level of play into all his matches which will help reduce the running and allow him to compete more effectively in the Master series to win big points for the #1 ranking which will surely come sometimes nest year.
[ Last edit by Philip September 28, 2012, 11:51 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3101 on: September 29, 2012, 12:32 AM »

After watching the 5 hours match, with a repeat of the 5th set, here is my prediction for the next time they meet on hard court :

In long lung bursting rallies, Andy tends to edge and win more of the exchanges. Andy has more variety in his shots, especially the low sliced BH with checked spin forcing Novak to crouch low and move his feet at the last moment to get into the correct position. I saw Novak getting frustrated by this as he is not used to losing these long rallies thereby forcing him to take the initiative and go for the killer shots earlier than he normally would.

Andy tends to make Novak run side by side much more than vice versa. This will be crucial in a best of 5 match where tired legs at the later stages will yield more UE as seen in the 5th set.  

Andy had a new tactic of hitting the ball short following a deep ball to draw Novak into the net unprepared and then either pass him or lob him. A very effective technique. Even if Novak draws back, he will be tired from rushing forward and back as well as the side to side movements. Novak will be in a world of hurt.

Andy defends very well against an opponent at the net by returning many high lobs to both BH and FH drawing errors when his opponent goes for a bit too much or loses focus.
Andy net play is very solid when he is forced to go there. He has added a powerful BH slam dunk that goes high and far beyond the baseline reach of his opponent that can be seen in the 5th set.

Andy adapts much better to the wind but I don't think this will be a factor at the AO.

Novak has an advantage in serve speed but this is more affected by the wind.

Novak incredible slides allow him to reach more shots. However, Andy astonishing consistency allows him to stretch rubber Novak around the court to breaking point. I have never seen Novak fall on his feet and bum so many times in a match. His knees were bloodied and bruised.

Novak has a small advantage in experience as he has been in more GS finals and has great mental toughness. A true warrior spirit of the highest order equal to that of Nadal.

I predict Andy to beat Novak when they next meet on hard court but without the wind, it will be a very tight match with many eye catching rallies and heroic gets. The tennis quality will be that of the 5th set with many winners.

Unknowns :
1. Weather condition : the USO final had benign temp and swirling wind, perfect setup for Andy.  Hot windless condition on the other hand will favour Novak especially if the other is able to get to the final more effortlessly.

2. Net play
Will either of them spruce up their net play and come in more behind powerful shots to earn easy points ? This is an effective technique because it keeps the opponent on their toes and force them to go for more attacking returns rather than safer looping returns, hence increasing the UE count.

3. In the 5th set, I saw Andy unleashed monstrous FH that even Novak couldn't get to. Will Andy be able to reproduce this shot more frequently ? If yes, then it can definitely change the dynamic of play and allow Andy to break Novak more easily.
Novak on the other hand, also hit crushing BH winners in the 5th set but again very rarely, and this is because he was too tired to prolong the rally. Will he be able to reproduce more of these BH winners ?

4. Nerves
Who will be able to control their nerves better ? We saw how once Novak went 0-4 behind in the 2nd set, and again at 2 sets down, how he relaxed and really went for his shots thus winning the 3rd and 4th sets. In the 5th set, once Andy got hold of his nerves and decided to lay everything on the line, his shotmaking moved to Godly level and he became almost unplayable. Who can conquer their nerves better and produce their best tennis on a more consistent basis ?

5. To win a GS, Andy will want to face Novak only in the final as beating the latter will take too much out of Andy for the next match. It becomes important that Andy gains enough ranking points to get to #2 ranking ASAP. I think this will happen in Q1 next year.  I think Andy will need a bit of luck with the draw and condition to win AO but will be the favourite comes Wim and USO next year.
[ Last edit by Philip September 29, 2012, 01:02 AM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3102 on: September 29, 2012, 01:24 AM »

^ I love that post and all the technical stuff that goes with it.  I admire your in depth analysis.  However, Andy has always had the tools to beat anyone - even as far back as Hewitt in 2006.  I feel self belief is the thing that's been lacking with Andy up until now. Pretty confident he can take anyone on when he wants to - but he is not going to go for any glory other than suits him.  He has already said he can retire happy with the US Open under his belt.  He has proved to himself he can do this - Olympic Gold to boot. I'm just not sure which way he will swing - go on to get more, or be satisfied with what he's achieved.  Watch this space.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3103 on: September 29, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Thanks Elly. From news report, Andy next goal is to be #1 and win more slams.  I think we will see Andy putting more emphasis on winning 1000 master Series and 500 series to boost his points tally.  I think Andy will win one or two slams and reach the coveted #1 ranking sometimes next year. This is an exciting time to be in.  His opponents will be quaking in their boots lol
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: 2012 USO Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #3104 on: September 29, 2012, 03:39 PM »

^ I love that post and all the technical stuff that goes with it.  I admire your in depth analysis.  However, Andy has always had the tools to beat anyone - even as far back as Hewitt in 2006.  I feel self belief is the thing that's been lacking with Andy up until now. Pretty confident he can take anyone on when he wants to - but he is not going to go for any glory other than suits him.  He has already said he can retire happy with the US Open under his belt.  He has proved to himself he can do this - Olympic Gold to boot. I'm just not sure which way he will swing - go on to get more, or be satisfied with what he's achieved.  Watch this space.

I would bet my house on Andy not being satisfied with what he's achieved, Elly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 222 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »