Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  2013 how will Murray do? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

2013 how will Murray do?

(Read 2182 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM »

I'd like to think that Andy can break his duck on Clay this year.  Of his 25 or so titles, none has been on the surface.  Yet he can certainly play - semis at the FO, and a couple of the clay Masters.

And with the possibility of Rafa not being around or on top form to clean them up as usual, this could be his year?

Can we dream of the FO??

Let's stick to AO for now at least Smile
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57 PM »

In 2013 Andy Murray will win Wimbledon then retire. Hehehe joking.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19 PM »

actually if Andy wins wimbledon...im not sure he wont mentally retire after that. Unless he adds a more consistently ruthless display to his talents...i can only see him winning 1 or2 more slams in his career...wimbeldon being the most saught after.

If he does become more ruthless ...as ruthless a Djoko /nadal/fed ...then could obviously win many more than that.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 07:51 PM »

So he won't win Wimbledon in 2013?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 10:59 PM »

actually if Andy wins wimbledon...im not sure he wont mentally retire after that. Unless he adds a more consistently ruthless display to his talents...i can only see him winning 1 or2 more slams in his career...wimbeldon being the most saught after.

If he does become more ruthless ...as ruthless a Djoko /nadal/fed ...then could obviously win many more than that.
Nah. He may lose the appetite for a while, but then many thought the same after the USO and I think Lendl will see to it that he continues to set new targets.

It's understandable for players to lose the appetite after their first Slam, but eventually they get it together. Djokovic is a great example of this. Had a really poor 2009 by his standards and often didn't really seem to be taking it seriously. His attitude changed towards the end of 2010, and we all know what happened after.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 02:33 AM »

Wimbledon. He will win that.

US open. He will win that.

He will win others as well.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 03:43 AM »

Wimbledon. He will win that.

US open. He will win that.

He will win others as well.

LOOOL

Welcome 'home'.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 12:01 PM »

He'd better not lol.

Seriously though, have we really seen any sign that Andy has lost the appetite? I don't think so, and I don't think winning Wimbledon would bring that about. If anything I could see it wetting his appetite for even more. It would certainly bring more support Andy's way in terms of the British public, who don't seem to get the USO win in the way they would Wimbledon.

Andy put himself in a position to win the AO, which is an achievement in itself. I still think it's amazing that no one in the open era has won their second major immediately after their first, and that Andy is the first to get to a final immediately after winning his first major. That tells me that if Andy can continue to put himself in a position to win again he will at some point. The way I see it is that Andy picked himself up after each of his four major final losses and put himself back on the line out there. If he can do it after losses like that, he can definitely do it after a wonderful win, two wonderful wins if you count the Olympics as well.

The funny thing about Wimbledon is that I think that if Andy can win it once he has the potential to win it a few times. I wouldn't like to predict it at such, but I could see him winning it two or three times if he can just get a first one. I can see him winning the USO again too, more than once, and I don't think the AO is beyond him, I really don't. The one that does concern me is the French, but we'll see.

I really wouldn't be surprised at all if Andy has five or six majors to his name by the time he stops. If he doesn't I will be more than content with what he has done, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised. He's fit, he's young, and he has plenty of time yet.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Andy isn't losing his appetite any time soon. Come on now, guys

Anyway, Wimbledon is of course not given yet. We have a long way to go before we can speculate anything for sure. I do think Nadal will be Andy's biggest obstacle there but then again, Nadal's fate will depend on RG. If he doesn't get it and gets knocked out by anyone, he'll be lacking confidence. Andy, on the other hand, will be booming with confidence as he's not destined to win RG, so a loss there won't compromise his will to win Wimbledon. Hear, hear.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 10, 2013, 04:33 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Andy isn't losing his appetite any time soon. Come on now, guys

Anyway, Wimbledon is of course not given yet. We have a long way to go before we can speculate anything for sure. I do think Nadal will be Andy's biggest obstacle there but then again, Nadal's fate will depend on RG. If he doesn't get it and gets knocked out by anyone, he'll lacking confidence. Andy, on the other hand, will be booming with confidence as he's not destined to win RG, so a loss there won't compromise his will to win Wimbledon. Hear, hear.
I think we should just take one tournament at a time.  Many, many things can happen between now and the Summer.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41 PM »

This is all idle talk I take it so was just giving my 2 cents but for sure a lot can happen in between. It's not very wise to speculate anything so early.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 04:59 PM »

A lot can change between now and then, but I'd put Andy as one of the top contenders for Wimbledon - ahead of Novak and equal to Federer (and maybe Rafa if his knee holds up). The home crowd should help him this year, and if he can play the kind of tennis he showed at the Olympics he really will have an excellent chance.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41 PM »

This is all idle talk I take it so was just giving my 2 cents but for sure a lot can happen in between. It's not very wise to speculate anything so early.

Smile.... it gets a rise from some posters though.

Yup....lots to happen this season and its make or break for Nadal. Would like to see him back 100% fit ..tennis misses him...but I doubt he'll stay fit long if he plays on the hard courts....his injury type smacks of breaking down again on sustained hard surfaces. Interesting that he has just recently started his own Sports Management & Development Agency.....My first thought when hearing that was that he is expecting to have a short playing career. It may be that he only plans plays the clay court & grass seasons....ive read some of his quotes implying that also.

Lots to happen ...lots of speculation too....
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 2013 how will Murray do? « Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 01:50 AM »

Smile.... it gets a rise from some posters though.

Yup....lots to happen this season and its make or break for Nadal. Would like to see him back 100% fit ..tennis misses him...but I doubt he'll stay fit long if he plays on the hard courts....his injury type smacks of breaking down again on sustained hard surfaces. Interesting that he has just recently started his own Sports Management & Development Agency.....My first thought when hearing that was that he is expecting to have a short playing career. It may be that he only plans plays the clay court & grass seasons....ive read some of his quotes implying that also.

Lots to happen ...lots of speculation too....

You know, I was not at all aware of this. Where would he find time for all this when he's already said time and again that he finds ATP schedule rather long? So you might just be right if you are thinking he'd probably reduce his seasons to only and clay and grass. Both grass and clay happen to be natural surfaces and hard is not and Nadal's game is definitely not made for hard. Maybe this a wise decision who knows but hard courts take 40% of the main schedule (2 Slams are on hard as well); in that case, I guess he'll be really focused on all the clay tournaments which is another 40%. But his ranking will slide and can cause all sorts of trouble for him. Well, I guess this is still all speculations so I better stop.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »