Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  22/10 Basel 500 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38 Go Down Reply
Author

22/10 Basel 500

(Read 14303 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

22/10 Basel 500 « on: October 15, 2012, 02:32 PM »

I might as well start this thread then.   I'm not sure If Andy should play here considering his busy schedule, but if he is fit he should play.  It would be nice  ( amazing, brilliant, excellent) if Muzz beat Noserer in his own back yard. I smell  bagels.    Swiss blood will be shed Very Happy
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 October 15, 2012, 05:52 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 250 « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:34 PM »

I might as well start this thread then.   I'm not sure If Andy should play here considering his busy schedule, but if he is fit he should play.  It would be nice  ( amazing, brilliant, excellent) if Muzz beat Noserer in his own back yard. I smell blood and bagels.    Swiss blood will be shed Very Happy

I would love that.  Super
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 250 « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05 PM »

John - Basel's a 500 not a 250.  I'll ask Mark to change it.

Unless Andy has completely got over his recent virus and its after-effects, then I can't see him playing.  No point hammering himself in a tournament in which he has no points to defend with the much more important Paris Masters and WTF coming right on top of it.  It's just a pity that, with the off-season being longer now, the last few tournaments have been crammed so close together.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 250 « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out but, in terms of scheduling, Paris is the problem.  Andy doesn't like the ultra fast courts and the Final is now the day before the WTF starts.  The WTF used to start on the Sunday but seems to now start and finish on a Monday.  If Andy plays Paris and goes deep he'll be knackered for WTF.

Personlly I think he'll play Basel and then play Paris half-hearted and lose early - then rest a bit for WTF.

Paris should be scrapped from the ATP Calendar.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: 22/10 Basel 250 « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Awww, I like Paris-Bercy. Frown

Atmosphere is usually excellent, and the courts are lightning fast.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Sorry, just think France has 1 too many Masters (counting MC as part of France).  The ATP still need to cut back on 2 or 3 tournies.  I also don't think Madrid should ever have been squeezed into an already crowded Clay season.  Maybe Cincy should go.  Why should USA have a Slam AND 3 Masters?  Maybe Germany should have a grass Masters.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 03:37 PM »

John - Basel's a 500 not a 250.  I'll ask Mark to change it.

Unless Andy has completely got over his recent virus and its after-effects, then I can't see him playing.  No point hammering himself in a tournament in which he has no points to defend with the much more important Paris Masters and WTF coming right on top of it.  It's just a pity that, with the off-season being longer now, the last few tournaments have been crammed so close together.

I had that doubt..
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out but, in terms of scheduling, Paris is the problem.  Andy doesn't like the ultra fast courts and the Final is now the day before the WTF starts.  The WTF used to start on the Sunday but seems to now start and finish on a Monday.  If Andy plays Paris and goes deep he'll be knackered for WTF.

Personlly I think he'll play Basel and then play Paris half-hearted and lose early - then rest a bit for WTF.

Paris should be scrapped from the ATP Calendar.
Yes but all the top players who play Paris are going to be equally knackered come the WTF, especially as all of them, except Djokovic, are playing elsewhere the week before, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the WTF is moved from London in a couple of years.  Unless it's somewhere in Europe there are going to be serious problems for the players.  Goodness knows, you might even get your wish.

You could be right though about some of these players conveniently going out early in Paris, but I'm not convinced that doing this is Andy's scene.  If he plays in a tournament he's in it to win it.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 15, 2012, 04:28 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:26 PM »

I don't think he should play all three.
Needs some R and R b4 the final push at the WTF.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:32 PM »

Fortunately Andy's very sensible when it comes to his health, and he has a good team of advisers as well who'll keep him right, so I'm sure the appropriate decision will be reached, probably within the next 2/3 days.   In fact I'm not even thinking about Basel until something definite comes straight from the horse's mouth.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Fortunately Andy's very sensible when it comes to his health, and he has a good team of advisers as well who'll keep him right, so I'm sure the appropriate decision will be reached, probably within the next 2/3 days.   In fact I'm not even thinking about Basel until something definite comes straight from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, as much as I would love to see him play, I want him to take rest and come back strongly.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:41 PM »

I don't know why Andy doesn't just win the next 3 grand-slams to get to world no.1 seems like the easiest way to me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Yeah, as much as I would love to see him play, I want him to take rest and come back strongly.
Indeed Zarfeen.  I want Andy to win the WTF just as badly as he does.  It's a tough tournament - in fact a very demanding one for the last of the season - and he won't be looking to have to pull out like he had to do last year.

I don't know why Andy doesn't just win the next 3 grand-slams to get to world no.1 seems like the easiest way to me.
Nice idea, but why deprive us fans of weeks and weeks of nerve-shredding excitement? lol
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Well I think Andy is playing Basel to try and push for no. 1 - try and get in as many tournaments as he can to give himself the best chance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:55 PM »

But surely not at the expense of his health?  Viruses can be tricky and have a habit of returning if you don't completely knock them on the head first time round.  Andy's had problems in the past with viruses that have come back because he's carried on playing regardless.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »