Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  22/10 Basel 500 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 38 Go Down Reply
Author

22/10 Basel 500

(Read 14209 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 11:58 PM »

Wait, wait...does his official site always update his location depending on when he lands??? That's pretty cool.
They do tend to update his location but aren't always very quick about doing so, which is why I mentioned the 12 hour flight from Shanghai and the fact that he must have left there quite soon after the final was over if he managed to get to the UK so quickly - but I've just remembered that London is 7 hours behind Shanghai, so his arrival in the UK today probably is correct.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 12:00 AM »

Seems absolutely bananas to even consider playing 3 tournaments in succession. Anyone who does that can forget winning the WTF.  They will be wasted. The genius responsible for this scheduling should be strung up and have sharp pointy things stuck in them.

IMO Andy should play Basel then pretend he is injured for Paris so he is in top shape for the WTF. In reality Paris should not be a priority for Andy. Its another Masters and another 1000 points but he's won many of these tournaments already in his career. The WTF is special though and would sit very nicely alongside his Slam and Olympic Gold.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20 AM »

Seems absolutely bananas to even consider playing 3 tournaments in succession. Anyone who does that can forget winning the WTF.  They will be wasted. The genius responsible for this scheduling should be strung up and have sharp pointy things stuck in them.

IMO Andy should play Basel then pretend he is injured for Paris so he is in top shape for the WTF. In reality Paris should not be a priority for Andy. Its another Masters and another 1000 points but he's won many of these tournaments already in his career. The WTF is special though and would sit very nicely alongside his Slam and Olympic Gold.
Well all the players except Djokovic are scheduled to play in three tournaments, so guess who might have the better chance of winning the WTF if Andy doesn't pull out of Basel.  As for the bizarre scheduling - maybe it's the same genius who had Toronto, and Montreal, starting the day after the Olympic final.  IMO the Rogers Cup should have been scrapped for this year.

I can't realistically see Andy pretending to have an injury in order to avoid Paris - too much like tempting fate for my liking, and anyway I don't believe Andy would do this.  Also he has yet to win a Masters this year, and Paris is his last chance to do so.  Despite what you say I think that will be quite important for him.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 12:36 AM »

Well if he's in the uk hope he signs the picture I sent to him Smile

I think Murray should miss Basel in all honesty. Smugfed can let out all these stupid remarks if he wants, but I'll laugh if he gets beat there.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17 AM »

Well all the players except Djokovic are scheduled to play in three tournaments, so guess who might have the better chance of winning the WTF if Andy doesn't pull out of Basel.  As for the bizarre scheduling - maybe it's the same genius who had Toronto, and Montreal, starting the day after the Olympic final.  IMO the Rogers Cup should have been scrapped for this year.

I can't realistically see Andy pretending to have an injury in order to avoid Paris - too much like tempting fate for my liking, and anyway I don't believe Andy would do this.  Also he has yet to win a Masters this year, and Paris is his last chance to do so.  Despite what you say I think that will be quite important for him.

Am I wrong in saying that Federer won Basel, Paris and the WTF last year? I know he won Paris and the WTF. Was the schedule the same last year? Did the WTF start straight after Paris? My memory sucks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 03:15 AM »

Am I wrong in saying that Federer won Basel, Paris and the WTF last year? I know he won Paris and the WTF. Was the schedule the same last year? Did the WTF start straight after Paris? My memory sucks.
Fed won Basel as well, thereby ending a 10 month title drought.

The schedule has changed this year, since from now on the off-season will be 7 weeks instead of the previous 5 in response to the players' request to the ATP for a longer period of R & R.  This means that two weeks have had to be chopped from the Tour calendar and so some minor tournaments have been rescheduled.  Also there will now be one week instead of two between Shanghai and Basel, etc, and Paris and the WTF will be played back-to-back whereas formerly there was a week's break.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26 AM »

Still half expecting Andy to pull out of Basel.  If so, you'd think it would be announced today
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01 PM »

Not sure Andy would need to pretend injury.  According to the Independent yesterday, he had a recurrence of his back problem in Shanghai.  I didn't see that in that didn't notice any back clutching but might explain problems with serving at times out East.  If it's true then I really think he should give it a rest next week.  Might be difficult to play basel, then claim injury for Paris, and then play again next week at WTF.  Don't you think Paris authorities would smell a rat?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 01:35 PM »

Still half expecting Andy to pull out of Basel.  If so, you'd think it would be announced today
I'd say today or tomorrow.  He really can't leave it much later out of fairness to the organisers who will have find a replacement for him, and he got slated by the organisers of the Marseille Open in 2010 for pulling out at the last minute saying he needed another week in which to recover from his exertions at the AO.  Also last year he had to withdraw from Basel just before his first round match thanks to a freak gluteal muscle strain.  However whilst injury is unavoidable and acceptable, citing fatigue is not unless your name happens to be R Federer. Whistle

Not sure Andy would need to pretend injury.  According to the Independent yesterday, he had a recurrence of his back problem in Shanghai.  I didn't see that in that didn't notice any back clutching but might explain problems with serving at times out East.  If it's true then I really think he should give it a rest next week.  Might be difficult to play basel, then claim injury for Paris, and then play again next week at WTF.  Don't you think Paris authorities would smell a rat?
Yes I read that but haven't seen it mentioned in any other newspaper, so you wonder where they got their information from since newspaper reporters frequently use a central 'pool' from which they get the material on which they base their reports.

I did hear though that Andy called out the trainer during his first match in Shanghai.  I thought it might have been his back, but as the match wasn't televised anywhere that can only be conjecture.  It wouldn't surprise me though if it was because the effects of his pain-killing injections before RG could have worn off by now.  But whether it's his back or the virus, he surely must know very soon whether he's going to be fit enough to play in Switzerand.

As for Paris, I think Andy will consider this too important to be skipped unless absolutely necessary.  He hasn't won a Masters this year and Paris is his last chance.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42 PM »

Ideal scenario would be for Andy if he uses Paris as a warm up tourney and get a couple of matches in the bag and then bombs out. That will leave him with a few days to prepare for the WTF.

Basel too seems unimportant but if it opens up for him then why not. If he truly intends to play all these back to back tourneys then he should take them lightly and not spend too much time and energy out there and save most of it for the WTF.

I am personally very keen on WTF so won’t pay much attention to either Basel or Paris. I think Andy should gun for WTF in full force and bag it. That will give this year a nice end and will give next year a nice boost. And with WTF final already in the bag (hoping and wishing), he won’t have to worry about it again, because he’s a pretty good indoor player so there will be more to come, but the first one is always a much harder task.

Next year, I’d like him to get all the outstanding items like, snatch the No. 1 and instead of chasing Nole, I’d like Nole to chase Andy for the top spot. Greedy, aren’t I’? Second, I’d like him to win a big clay title big time – anything will do, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome or even RG. We live in a world of potentiality so anything is possible once you set your mind that way and Andy needs to be in that mode. When he sets new goals, there will be new challenges as well so might as well be prepared for it mentally as he moves along.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 01:51 PM »

It's all about the WTF for me, and he's said himself that's his priority.

No doubt the spectre of last years scheduling and injury looms over when he and his team are making decisions, and that's surely a factor for the rest of this year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10 PM »

Are you trying to jinx him, EJ?  I'm not blinkered but I don't think Andy would deliberately bomb in a Masters.

It's all about the WTF for me, and he's said himself that's his priority.

No doubt the spectre of last years scheduling and injury looms over when he and his team are making decisions, and that's surely a factor for the rest of this year.

Fortunately he does have an excellent team to advise him.  I know the WTF is his priority but I truly can't see him getting very far there without a few matches under his belt.  Mind you, I understand Lendl will be around by then so perhaps between them something could be cooked up, although I think playing a couple of expos (provided he could arrange them) whilst missing Paris would go down like a lead balloon with the powers-that-be.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Absolutely agree Scotnadian and Emma Jean-it'd be nice for Andy to play well at Paris and Basel,if he does go ahead with playing all 3,but I have to admit,the way I see it,doing well at WTF (or winning?I don't want to jinx it by saying it!) easily trumps the other two put together.
I know it shouldn't make a difference whether it's in London or anywhere else,but for me it kind of does make a little difference this year.Andy's done so well this year,and clearly loved representing GB at the Olympics-and after the Brits have finally seen the light regarding Andy being a great person as well as a great player,well,it'd be difficult to come up with a better way for him to end the year than a WTF victory,back in London,in front of properly-appreciative (after what he's achieved this year,they darn well BETTER be appreciative of him!) crowds.

I hope you're right Scotnadian,about his team taking into account the WTF being the priority-normally I'd accept their scheduling decisions without hesitation,it just seems a little odd to me that they've scheduled him to play the three back-to-back,after Andy has said the WTF is the priority.Oh well!Guess we've just gotta trust their judgement,and hope it all works for the best!After all,it's Andy himself who has to decide how far he can push himself when it comes to these decisions-plus Andy has said one of the things Lendl is particularly good at is knowing how to manage the schedule.

I'm the same,EJ,when it comes to being a little bit greedy about wanting big things for Andy next year!(This past sumer has ruined us lol!)I want the Wimbledon title for him more than anything now.Before I would've said a slam-any slam!Now-now,more than any other goal,I want to see him win that particular final.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 02:13 PM »

A title on Clay would be awesome for Andy. Lendl won the French 3 times and I'm hoping he gives Andy a lot of tips and helps him make adjustments to his Clay court game that will bring it up to par with his game on other surfaces.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 02:25 PM »

I hope you're right Scotnadian,about his team taking into account the WTF being the priority-normally I'd accept their scheduling decisions without hesitation,it just seems a little odd to me that they've scheduled him to play the three back-to-back,after Andy has said the WTF is the priority.Oh well!Guess we've just gotta trust their judgement,and hope it all works for the best!After all,it's Andy himself who has to decide how far he can push himself when it comes to these decisions-plus Andy has said one of the things Lendl is particularly good at is knowing how to manage the schedule.
As entries to tournaments are usually made months in advance, the entry lists really are provisional, especially for non-obligatory ones, so a player can announce his intention to play and then withdraw nearer the time, but, as I said earlier, Andy will have to make his mind up very soon about Basel.

However I think Basel is going to be an exciting tournament anyway (sorry, but much as I love Andy I enjoy tennis in general) and the good news for me is that Berdych will not be playing there to spoil the fun!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »