Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  22/10 Basel 500 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 38 Go Down Reply
Author

22/10 Basel 500

(Read 12919 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36 PM »

I don't think he deliberately bombs matches but I certainly feel that he doesn't expend as much energy or work as hard / motivate himself to turn matches around when he goes behind. He hates losing - that much is obvious from the Chardy and Mahut matches - but he knows when he doesn't want to burn himself out (Queens, Cinci) and doesn't expend masses of energy to save the situation when he is losing.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see an early exit in Paris. Another Murray/Djokovic final in Paris would be a disaster in terms of the WTF.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 02:49 PM »

Are you trying to jinx him, EJ?  I'm not blinkered but I don't think Andy would deliberately bomb in a Masters.
Fortunately he does have an excellent team to advise him.  I know the WTF is his priority but I truly can't see him getting very far there without a few matches under his belt.  Mind you, I understand Lendl will be around by then so perhaps between them something could be cooked up, although I think playing a couple of expos (provided he could arrange them) whilst missing Paris would go down like a lead balloon with the powers-that-be.

Of course not. lol Why would I want to jinx Andy someone I love the most. Anyway I'd like him to prioritize his goals at this stage of the year and peruse it accordingly. This is of course from a fan's perspective. I don't know what they truly have in mind but Paris is very tricky because it's right before WTF. And keeping all the injuries and all other fatigue factors in mind, I won't be too surprised if Andy ends up doing exactly what I am suggesting - simply because it would be the wisest thing to do and anyone should be able to see it. Neither Paris nor Basel is as important as WTF and had Paris been just next week, then of course, there would have been a different scenario. Even so, it should be WTF regardless. Nole is not as dangerous as Federer indoors and Federer looks slightly intimidated by Andy at the moment and Rafa being out of the picture, this presents a wonderful opportunity and opportunities happen to those, who are aware and prepared for it. If anything, Paris may stand in the way.

Yes, Federer won all of them back to back just last year, but he was also the one who was chasing his first title all year long and it only opened up for him in that timeframe, because most of the top players were either injured or fatigued. Andy doesn't have a similar case here. In fact, he's had much too much going on this year already, so it's best to wise up and use the brain accordingly. Don’t want him to chase all these back to back tournaments like a crazy buffoon with a half empty tank.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean October 17, 2012, 03:05 PM ] IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 11:19 AM »

i personally dont mind what he decides to do so long as he doesnt wear himself out.

if he flops in all 3 then at least he has points to gain next year. next year i feel is the key
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 02:08 PM »

I think we can now safely assume that Andy is playing in Basel given that, so far, there  hasn't been any news to the contrary, and that fact that the Basel website is still trumpeting next Tuesday as British Day (which would seem to have more to do with trade and commerce than tennis as it's run by the BSCC) when Andy will be fronting the event as well as playing his first match -

"British Day with Superstar Andy Murray" - http://www.swissindoorsbasel.ch/British-Day-VIP-Ticket.967+M52087573ab0.0.html

Hopefully this means that Andy has now fully recovered from the virus that troubled him in Shanghai.

[ Last edit by Aileen October 18, 2012, 02:12 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Indeed. I wonder if he'll take an early exit from Paris if he goes far this week. Surely going deep two weeks in a row prior to London could prove too much. Then again he handled Bangkok-Tokyo-Shanghai fine last year, so if fit, Basel and Paris could really get him match mode ahead of London.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20 PM »

Britain has only a slam and a handfull of 250's. As we said before Queen's a 250 is a joke!! Should be a 500 at least.

Agreed!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Indeed. I wonder if he'll take an early exit from Paris if he goes far this week. Surely going deep two weeks in a row prior to London could prove too much. Then again he handled Bangkok-Tokyo-Shanghai fine last year, so if fit, Basel and Paris could really get him match mode ahead of London.
I'm just hoping that he really is 100% fit now and not just feeling under an obligation to turn up since they've been advertising his presence at Britsh Day since July, and he certainly wouldn't want to let the organisers down.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Me too Aileen but difficult for him to pull out now as you say.  Still it might get up smugfed's nose the whole British day business.  Not seen that before when you can get to the meet the player afterwards.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46 PM »

This is the first ever British Day at Basel - run by the British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce.  Quote from the Basel tickets website after an obligatory paragraph praising their local man (and printed before Andy became No.3) -

The biggest challenge to Federer’s title defence comes from none other than Britain’s tennis hope Andy Murray. The world number four will also have the honour of introducing the first British Day at the Swiss Indoors on Tuesday, 23 October 2012. Take advantage of our special offer to get close to the exciting British Day action on Centre Court in the St. Jakobshalle.
So cmon yeah Andy!

[ Last edit by Aileen October 18, 2012, 02:50 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Guess he's not pulling out then...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00 PM »

Well for the moment let's just say he definitely seems to be turning up, but how far he'll get remains to be seen given that it is a strong field, so if he is still a bit below par he might bow out early.  But hey! That's negative thinking.  Positive vibes only please! Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #71 on: October 18, 2012, 03:18 PM »

I must admit this advert inviting you to enjoy a Beach Party (in October??) intrigued me ... until I discovered that the Aquabasilea is in fact a huge indoor water park.

http://www.swissindoorsbasel.ch/Beach-Party-2012.972+M52087573ab0.0.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #72 on: October 18, 2012, 03:22 PM »

'British tennis hope' - pleeeeese.  Did smugfed write that  shocking
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #73 on: October 18, 2012, 03:33 PM »

He had to sacrifice WTF as a result though. Also, this year has a different story.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #74 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34 PM »

He had to sacrifice WTF as a result though. Also, this year has a different story.
The point was he played three tournaments in a row without problems.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »