Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  22/10 Basel 500 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Down Reply
Author

22/10 Basel 500

(Read 13961 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #525 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10 AM »

Del Potro's? That Trophy is quite damn nice!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #526 on: October 29, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Federer has actually gained in the rankings, whilst Nishikori hasn't lost at all.

Strange. I can only guess that Basel is a week ahead this year and as such the points come off next week?

Either that or there's been some monumental **** up.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #527 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26 AM »

At the moment Basel points from this and last year are included in his ranking. But Basel + Paris + WTF points will all drop off next Monday, so Fed will lose 3000 points in total and just keep his Basel points from this year (300). So he would have entered the WTFs as the 2nd seed one way or another, regardless of his Paris performance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #528 on: October 29, 2012, 01:54 AM »

I didnt see the match, just watched the highlights. Am so chuffed for Del Potro. He's one of my favorite players.

Great win! Very Happy

Nice to meet another Delpo fan Linda! Smile  Got a bit tired of all his bashers on here.  What's he done to deserve this?  And if folk can't get over the Delpo/Murray spat a few years back, then they're just as bad those who still pillory Andy for his "anyone but England" remark.  Personally I have great admiration for the way Delpo has fought back in the last two years after being out for months.

His trophy should have been better..
I agree.  It's an insult really and to the have the words "single runner up" (surely it should be "singles"?) in such big letters on it is only rubbing salt into the wound.  No wonder Fed looks like he wants to cry.  I bet it'll be put in a dark corner of Fed's trophy room(s)!  Delpo's on the other hand is more worthy of a Slam not a 500.  It's very unusual to see such a difference between the trophies.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #529 on: October 29, 2012, 05:53 AM »

I don't like any of these too tall huge servers.
For me tennis is all about quick movement, anticipation and a huge variety of shot making.
Step forward Mr. Murray, Mr Nishikori, Mr Nole,  Mr Dimitrov and yeah also Mr Fed to name but a few.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #530 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17 AM »

Nice to meet another Delpo fan Linda! Smile  Got a bit tired of all his bashers on here.  What's he done to deserve this?  And if folk can't get over the Delpo/Murray spat a few years back, then they're just as bad those who still pillory Andy for his "anyone but England" remark.  Personally I have great admiration for the way Delpo has fought back in the last two years after being out for months.
I really like Delpo.  Andy and Juan got over their spat years ago, and I believe both of them realised they'd both been a bit hot-headed and over-reacted.

What stood out for me was his manner at the Olympics.  He was desperate to win something for his country, and his demeanour during the medals ceremony was lovely.  He was very sweet with Andy, helping him with the flag, and generally encouraging him to enjoy and revel in the moment.

It also helps that PseudoFed thinks he's "too tall" has "too many names" and "his shirt was too bright"!  Whistle
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #531 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15 AM »

I like DelPo too, I hope he wins that sporting award!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #532 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43 PM »

I really like Delpo.  Andy and Juan got over their spat years ago, and I believe both of them realised they'd both been a bit hot-headed and over-reacted.

What stood out for me was his manner at the Olympics.  He was desperate to win something for his country, and his demeanour during the medals ceremony was lovely.  He was very sweet with Andy, helping him with the flag, and generally encouraging him to enjoy and revel in the moment.

It also helps that PseudoFed thinks he's "too tall" has "too many names" and "his shirt was too bright"!  Whistle

I really liked Delpo at the Olympics too - it was touching seeing how much winning a medal for his country - any medal - meant to him. He seems like a really nice guy and has done so well to get back to where he has after that awful wrist injury. Pleased he's at the WTF again. It's good for the game if more players are able to challenge the top 4 imo.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #533 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Agreed, I have always rated Del Potro. In my past comments I have always had him down as top 4 or 5, afterall he is a slam winner!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #534 on: October 29, 2012, 01:40 PM »

Given my rule of thumb which is to dislike any currently active player who might give Mr M a hard time, I watched yesterday and was routing for him. Any one who puts Fed's nose out of joint is good for me. We also need to aknowledge his role in the Gold Medal. Whilst Fed being knackered physically and mentally by the semi wasn't the main reason our man won. It certainly didn't do any harm. The confidence Mr M got from that match has to have helped with the US Open. I was also really pleased for him managing to win over ND in the Bronze medal match. It must have taken some guts to get over the disappointment of the semi to put up such a fight again to take the Bronze. He really deserved his medal - it was hard won, and the delight he showed when he was presented with it was almost as great as Mr M and his Gold.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #535 on: October 29, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Yeah I loved his reaction over a Bronze medal. I know a lot of people would be disappointed by finishing third in the Olympics, but JMDP seemed really proud and he seemed to love representing Argentina just as much as Andy loved representing GBR.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #536 on: October 29, 2012, 04:02 PM »

And I really don't like the way he crosses himself and then kisses the cross after he wins. He doesn't do it after he loses. Shouldn't he do it whatever? Or does he really think he only wins with God's help? Bit rude to the other player, I'd say.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #537 on: October 29, 2012, 04:12 PM »

And I really don't like the way he crosses himself and then kisses the cross after he wins. He doesn't do it after he loses. Shouldn't he do it whatever? Or does he really think he only wins with God's help? Bit rude to the other player, I'd say.

I think he's just thanking God personally without complicating things. Don’t think there’s too much thought process involved in this one.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #538 on: October 29, 2012, 05:04 PM »

I've read before that when Delpo crosses himself after a match, it's in memory of his sister.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #539 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Agreed, I have always rated Del Potro. In my past comments I have always had him down as top 4 or 5, afterall he is a slam winner!

Yeah, at times I forget that he has won a grand slam.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »