Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  22/10 Basel 500 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Down Reply
Author

22/10 Basel 500

(Read 12759 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #540 on: October 29, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I've read before that when Delpo crosses himself after a match, it's in memory of his sister.
In memory? What happened to his sister?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #541 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41 PM »

She was killed in a car accident when she was 8. Frown
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #542 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46 PM »

He had an elder sister named Juliette who died many years ago and he feels that she protects him from the sky.
[ Last edit by ZARFEEN15 October 29, 2012, 06:50 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #543 on: October 29, 2012, 06:47 PM »

She was killed in a car accident when she was 8. Frown

Ohhhh, I didn't know that part.
That is really sad, feel so bad for him  
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #544 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05 PM »

And I really don't like the way he crosses himself and then kisses the cross after he wins. He doesn't do it after he loses. Shouldn't he do it whatever? Or does he really think he only wins with God's help? Bit rude to the other player, I'd say.

How is it rude?
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #545 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15 PM »

I don't like any of these too tall huge servers.
For me tennis is all about quick movement, anticipation and a huge variety of shot making.
Step forward Mr. Murray, Mr Nishikori, Mr Nole,  Mr Dimitrov and yeah also Mr Fed to name but a few.

Me neither, never have started with Sampras.  I find it can make for boring tennis. I enjoy a good fast moving rally with good reactions and shots from both players. The big hard hitting servers not only dont get into alot of that but often cant.  I like del potro just not a fan of his tennis.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #546 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49 AM »

Yeah I loved his reaction over a Bronze medal. I know a lot of people would be disappointed by finishing third in the Olympics, but JMDP seemed really proud and he seemed to love representing Argentina just as much as Andy loved representing GBR.
That was magic to watch, especially with Fed trying not to sulk at only having won silver. Very Happy

And I really don't like the way he crosses himself and then kisses the cross after he wins. He doesn't do it after he loses. Shouldn't he do it whatever? Or does he really think he only wins with God's help? Bit rude to the other player, I'd say.
I don't see it as being any worse than Andy pointing his fingers to the sky, for whatever reason, when he wins (wonder if he'll still do it?  If he did it in Shanghai, I can't say I noticed), or Djoko's apeman imitations.

Also I never knew about Delpo's sister.  That must have been very hard for him to bear. Frown

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #547 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33 AM »

I've read before that when Delpo crosses himself after a match, it's in memory of his sister.

Why doesn't he cross himself when he loses then? Pretty sure he doesn't.
Remember Andy stopping a massive winning streak and JMDP burst into tears.
Don't mind that, but there was no "crossing."

@Prodigy
Doesn't it say, "God's on my side, not yours?"

Anyway, that's it from me on the suject of JMDP, u'll all be gald to know....Wink
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #548 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56 AM »

@Prodigy
Doesn't it say, "God's on my side, not yours?"
I'm no catholic, but I know some, and that's the first time I've heard of that theory!

At the Oscars, when people thank God, or even their mums, they aren't thanking them for rigging the vote, they are thanking them for their help over the years, or for giving them the god/biologically given talent that lets them do what they do.  When Gemma Gibbons mouthed "thank you mum" as she won at the Oympics, no-one thought she was snubbing her opponent.

I actually think visible signs of "thanks" in whatever form they take, show humility.   I you don't like religion you might not like it, but it would be a mistake to jump to conclusions of what they mean by it and interpret it as arrogance, or an insult to your opponent.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #549 on: October 30, 2012, 11:05 AM »

That was magic to watch, especially with Fed trying not to sulk at only having won silver. Very Happy
I don't see it as being any worse than Andy pointing his fingers to the sky, for whatever reason, when he wins (wonder if he'll still do it?  If he did it in Shanghai, I can't say I noticed), or Djoko's apeman imitations.

Also I never knew about Delpo's sister.  That must have been very hard for him to bear. Frown

Having looked it up, she died when Del Potro was 2. He has a younger sister called Julieta whom he gave his car he won in the Mercedes Cup back in 2009.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #550 on: October 30, 2012, 01:13 PM »

I quite like the way Delpo crosses himself when he wins. I'm not Catholic, but I am a Christian, and to my mind it's nice to show it if you feel your faith is a source of strength and guidance. To my mind it's just a way of saying 'thanks for the help', or support, if you prefer.

I must say that I didn't know about Delpo's sister. That's sad.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #551 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21 PM »

I'm no catholic, but I know some, and that's the first time I've heard of that theory!

At the Oscars, when people thank God, or even their mums, they aren't thanking them for rigging the vote, they are thanking them for their help over the years, or for giving them the god/biologically given talent that lets them do what they do.  When Gemma Gibbons mouthed "thank you mum" as she won at the Oympics, no-one thought she was snubbing her opponent.

I actually think visible signs of "thanks" in whatever form they take, show humility.    I you don't like religion you might not like it, but it would be a mistake to jump to conclusions of what they mean by it and interpret it as arrogance, or an insult to your opponent.

Very good post. I quite agree with everything you said especially the highlighted part.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #552 on: October 30, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Having looked it up, she died when Del Potro was 2. He has a younger sister called Julieta whom he gave his car he won in the Mercedes Cup back in 2009.

Where did you check that out?
When I browsed, I read that he was around 5 or 6...
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #553 on: October 30, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Where did you check that out?
When I browsed, I read that he was around 5 or 6...
You know what, I genuinely can't find it now. confused Googled it and found something say she died in a car crash when he was 2, but I can't find the link.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 22/10 Basel 500 « Reply #554 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43 PM »

Re. JM crossing himself, and his sister.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/juan-martin-del-potro-to-win-first-you-have-to-know-how-to-lose-2286506.html
I already had an inkling of his religious faith, having seen him intently cross himself on clinching victory. But now he tells me something I didn't know, that there is a deeply poignant dimension to his prayers. "I had a sister who died many years ago, and I believe that she protects me from the sky. She was eight years old. It was a car accident in Argentina. I was five or six, so it was much worse for my parents."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »