Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  25 second rule 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

25 second rule

(Read 2372 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

25 second rule « on: January 01, 2013, 04:30 PM »

I am trying to understand the 25 second rule as I thought it was really always in place.  Also does it applying to GS as they are not officially ATP events.  Obviously something had to be done as the time between ponts was getting longer.  The AO final last year is an example.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Well the new rule was instituted to my knowledge when Brisbane started, but the first I heard of it was yesterday in the Doha match between Simone Bolleli and Daniel Gimeno-Traver. I also believe Martin Klizan was the first to get violated for it yesterday against Istomin in Brisbane.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:03 PM »

I thought it has applied in all games for some time ? I think the refs should enforce it because certain players abuse it. Perhaps some leeway should apply after long rallies to allow players to get their breath back. 
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:47 PM »

I believe this rule has been in place for some time but umpires rarely enforced it. Now players have been told that the rule will be enforced and the comms say this has speeded the game up in Quatar. They think Gasquet keeping up with it may have been upsetting Gasquet's game. Been watching that tourney a bit today. Brisbane is in the night and not on tele and if they do transmit it I will record Andy's matches.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Yes, I think it's the existing rule being enforced properly.   It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the coming weeks, as there will be times when it's reasonable for a longer break, such as if a player takes a tumble.  I don't mind a bit of lee-way after a very long rally, although arguably the ability to keep playing is part of the challenge.

Personally, I'm happy for the rule to be enforced most of the time, and to avoid blatent time wasting, and faffing around between points just to keep your opponent guessing.   A bit of flexibility for the longest rallies, or to allow a decent towelling in particularly hot and humid conditions seems fair to me.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Can you imagine, enforcing the likes of Nadal or Nole with this rule.
They,ll be thinking "hang on a minute".
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Robbie, I expected more from you with this thread title. #disappointed
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »

^ I think Delpo, Isner and others are just as bad.

I think the main change to the rule is that while in the past both server and returner were (ostensibly) penalized a full point (after one warning), now the server will be charged with a fault first, after a warning, and the returner will still lose a full point, after a warning. If it's the server's first serve, then he still has a second chance with his second serve. But it does certainly add pressure.

I am of two minds about this rule. I love long exciting rallies, and I hope this rule doesn't effectively penalize players for playing them! I hope umps use their discretion/common sense. Frown But at the same time, I don't think it's necessary to fix hair, socks, towel off, bounce or whatever, every time between every point.

I suspect Nole will have an easier time of adjusting than Rafa as I don't think Nole is quite as "OCD" about his habits as Rafa is. I think Nole's bouncing is more to focus his mind than anything whereas I think Rafa is kind of suspicious and such. Slight difference, maybe, but important methinks.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »

^^Rather hash ....I mean harsh Linda...Arf! Arf!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:28 PM »

Eh? Weedman #confused
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17 PM »

Seriously though, with the evolution of the game this rule should have some leeway. When top players are slugging it out for 5 hours straight, they need to catch their breath and collect their thoughts.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55 PM »

I agree the rule should be applied with some discretion but not the kind of discretion that favours the top players because umpire afraid to call them out.  I agree likely to affect Rafa more than Nole especially as Nole has speeded up I think and doesn't bounce the ball as much as he used to do.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48 AM »

I imagine, though I haven't made a close study..., that the tics/time taken on serve/etc get worse if the player is under pressure.
eg I have noticed that Nole's ball bouncing increases in that case.
Lots of things wind me up far more...expedient toilet breaks, massages at critical points, complaining about a few raindrops ...Wink etc
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24 AM »

You are onto something blueberryhill.  I'll admit those specific things don't bother me too much, but they are the sort of thing that will remain legal, as would be asking the umpire a question and some other things that a player might do to buy time when they would previously have been inspecting their balls. Whistle
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06 AM »

Speaking of new rules, does anyone know how the net cord rule in the Challengers has fared?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »