Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  25 second rule 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

25 second rule

(Read 1872 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Andy was given a time violation today during his match with Millman.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20 PM »

Andy was given a time violation today during his match with Millman.

What was his reaction?
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33 PM »

^ I am curious too.

Was Millman given a warning too. Wink
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 06:56 PM »

It was after a long rally when he was trying to hold serve during the 3rd game of the 3rd set.
He showed no reaction.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 04:41 AM »

Baghdatis just got penalized in the 3rd set tie-break and wound up losing the point on 2nd serve and the next after getting really annoyed about it. I'm pretty sure Baghdatis is going to be speaking out against it now.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 04:46 AM »

Saw that.

Seems like this rule is going to be seriously enforced.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24 AM »

I agree with Andy, 25 secs is too short. Its not just about drying off sweat or bouncing the ball xx no. times. It also includes if they bust a string on the racquet and have to get a new one.

Nadal will have loads of problems adapting to this, he uses load o time. But I've seen the top players treated more leaniently re: time warnings, than others, previously.
A rule is a rule and should be applied to all. 
There's probably going to be some heated moments on court in the AO beacuse of this with temperatures soaring, long rallies and 5 setters.

They should listen to Andy!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40 PM »

He was so eloquent when giving his views on this subject during his post-match Kei interview.
I think he's bang on about it would be better at 30 secs and enforcing that.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:08 PM »

I agree with Andy, 25 secs is too short. Its not just about drying off sweat or bouncing the ball xx no. times. It also includes if they bust a string on the racquet and have to get a new one.

Nadal will have loads of problems adapting to this, he uses load o time. But I've seen the top players treated more leaniently re: time warnings, than others, previously.
A rule is a rule and should be applied to all. 
There's probably going to be some heated moments on court in the AO beacuse of this with temperatures soaring, long rallies and 5 setters.

They should listen to Andy!

The rule doesn't apply to the slams, or rather, the slams have their own rules for how long the players get between points. I believe in the slams it is 20 seconds.

I think Andy is right, the time allowed should be 30 seconds, but that should be enforced, and right across the board too, rather than applied at the umpire's discretion to some players and then allowing those at the top to get away with it. At the very least I think the time allowed between points in the slams should be the same as in other tournaments.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:27 AM »

Isn't the rule for Slams 20 seconds?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08 AM »

^ Really? There was so much comment about the AO final last year taking 1hour 30 more than it could've, that it can't have been enforced.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Isn't the rule for Slams 20 seconds?

I thought so too.... Think Is it??
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Yes but I don't think they enforce it as much
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28 PM »

Well Andy got a warning for a time violation and he does not waste time between points. It may not be as ridged as ordinary tournaments but I hate to think about the likes of Rafa is going to do with his routine before serving. I know Bagdatis was upset during a tie break when he was given a warning and went on to lose it. Also the likes of Del Potro he is so slow between points are those two going to be happy about it. I do think that players who waste time between points should be given a warning and if it continues they should lose a point.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: 25 second rule « Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54 PM »

I think Andy was doing a bit of stretching - arm and shoulder, when he got the warning. Probably knew he was risking it.

The ATP announced in September that they would enforce the 25 second time violation penalties from 2013, and changed them slightly. It's a warning 1st time, then a fault for the server if he is taking too long, or a point penalty for the receiver if he is delaying things.

Slams are different, and I think 20 seconds is correct which seems tough on the players - feel it ought to be the same.

I read complaints that there weren't any Challenger events last week, and concerns that the number of tournaments has been cut. It will be interesting to see though how the "no let" experiment goes. Don't like the sound of it myself!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/09/Feature/ATP-Board-Approves-Change-In-Time-Violation-Penalty.aspx

IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »