Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that!

(Read 1979 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « on: January 25, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Andy has now been in the final of Wimbledon 2012, USO 2012 and Australian Open 2013.

The only players to have beaten 3 consecutive Slam finals are Fed, Nadal, Joker, Agassi, Connors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_World_Tour_records

Hes on a par with Borg, McEnroe, Lendl (whose he?), Wilander and Courier.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Great achievement. We'll never see the likes of Andy Murray from these shores again. Sometimes you forget that it's a pleasure just to have someone so consistently good.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:06 PM »

Now can Andy do the unthinkable? I think he can.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:21 PM »

The other interesting stat from these tables is he is 6th all-time in consecutive Slam quarter-finals with 9. Behind Fed, Joker, Rafa , Lendl (whose he?) and Sampras.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56 PM »

I want him to have the most consecutive slam titles.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Great achievement. We'll never see the likes of Andy Murray from these shores again. Sometimes you forget that it's a pleasure just to have someone so consistently good.
A fitting tribute to a great sportsman.  Bagpipes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:01 PM »

I remember a while ago there was a debate on MW as to whether it was valid to call Andy one of the greats.  With stats like that  and the USO and gold medal under his belt I believe we now  can. Do others agree?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I didn't think he'd make me cry again.

But he has.   Heart Heart Heart

Sappy-Happy.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 05:08 PM »

I remember a while ago there was a debate on MW as to whether it was valid to call Andy one of the greats.  With stats like that  and the USO and gold medal under his belt I believe we now  can. Do others agree?

I've heard from good authorities that 4 slams is the minimum before you can start to talk about all-time greatness.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10 PM »

I think Andy should win the next 16 slams in a row.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11 PM »

oh I didn't realise there was an official definition of all time greatness Nigel.  Well I feel pretty confident he will now.  Interestingly Inverdale was saying he was the greatest  Britain has ever produced ie greater than Perry implicitly.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12 PM »

I've heard from good authorities that 4 slams is the minimum before you can start to talk about all-time greatness.
I think Andy is far from an 'all time great', but he's the greatest from a British point of view, surely.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15 PM »

I think we can definitely call him one of the greats. For me he certainly is. I mean, I know it's obvious to say, but he is there with players widely considered to be the best ever to pick up a racquet, so he has to be up there. I know cynics will look to him 'only' having the one major win (so far!) but to win one at all in this era has been so tough - just ask Del Potro. The thing with Andy, I think, is that there is a strong sense that one will lead to more, maybe many more.

It's not 'just' the majors though. Andy's consistency in the game as a whole has been phenomenal. When you look at the tables for the number of Masters wins he has had, his name is right up there with a number of those considered to be all time greats.

I think Andy is right there with many of those considered to be greats, and I'd like to also say that he is the best we've ever had in Britain by a country mile, and the stats are really starting to show it.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15 PM »

I didn't think he'd make me cry again.

But he has.  Heart Heart Heart

Sappy-Happy.
I've been as high as a kite all afternoon - and you can't really share why with people who don't understand 'the passion'.  That's why I always come back here - only place people understand! Very Happy
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16 PM »

I would put Andy in the top 12 best ever players.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »