Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that!

(Read 2149 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18 PM »

I would put Djokovic in the top 5.

To me it's not all about titles, you have to consider the competition they're playing against and their consistency.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Now can Andy do the unthinkable? I think he can.

Me too! Federer, if anything, has played Andy into form to a point, and judging by the look of him he is hungry for more. The calm way he behaved after the match today, no celebration to speak of, spoke volumes. I get the feeling he knows the job isn't done yet and he won't give up until it is.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20 PM »

One match at a time,one slam at a time,folks. We've never had a player as successful as Murray in the UK ever. Don't ask for the moon just enjoy the moment
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 05:24 PM »

Andy won't be tired. He had 5 easy matches and 1 five setter. Djokovic has had 4 three setters, 1 four setter and 1 five setter. Time serves in Andy's favour.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 05:27 PM »

Andy won't be tired. He had 5 easy matches and 1 five setter. Djokovic has had 4 three setters, 1 four setter and 1 five setter. Time serves in Andy's favour.
I don't think this has a bearing at all.  They are both young men, the same age, and at the best they can physically be.  I still say the match will be won in the mind.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:12 PM »

I don't think this has a bearing at all.  They are both young men, the same age, and at the best they can physically be.  I still say the match will be won in the mind.
I think the same Elly. It will rest on the small margins in their games and self belief. Andy may be a little more tired than Djoko, its to be expected since he played today. However, Andy had to put Federer to bed and will be sharp, Djokovic was not tested by David Ferrer, although it may have looked impressive, on paper.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16 PM »

I think the same Elly. It will rest on the small margins in their games and self belief. Andy may be a little more tired than Djoko, its to be expected since he played today. However, Andy had to put Federer to bed and will be sharp, Djokovic was not tested by David Ferrer, although it may have looked impressive, on paper.
We can suppose all we like.  It's not up to us, it's up to them and the match on the day.  I don't mean to sound dismissive, but it is.  The man with the mental smarts and the undying will to win, will prevail.  Let's hope it's our boy!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36 PM »

I think it will mostly come down to who plays the big points better. And of course that will come down largely to belief and a small bit of luck.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Congratulations Mr Murray again, making history putting himself among the greats. 3 consecutive GS finals is big league stuff !! Ecstatic for him no-one can have any doubts that Andy is incredibly special, and we are honoured to have him!
IP Logged
Hamish McHamish
Satellite Level

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13 PM »

Very interesting thread here. I've always believed murray would win a slam but found myself (until USO) having to justify his brilliance with the stat of being overwhelmingly the best player (both by opinion and stats) to never win a slam. Now arguably he is the greatest player to only win 1....until sunday Smile Trouble is no matter how good you are it is only results that are consigned to the history books. I never saw a lot of the greats from the 70-80's play so ultimately my knowledge is based on such records....as will future generations basis to rate murray will be. Would murray have beaten sampras or agassi et al....who knows. Would tiger woods have beaten jack nicklaus or is leo messi a better player than pele ever was?? Common consensus is that this is the golden age of tennis in the open era and for murray to have made 6 GS finals is i am sure equivalent to winning 6 in a different time. Hopefully he wins many more and his undoubted excellence can remain
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 11:21 PM »

I remember a while ago there was a debate on MW as to whether it was valid to call Andy one of the greats.  With stats like that  and the USO and gold medal under his belt I believe we now  can. Do others agree?
  Hmmm. Probably not quite yet, but he'll get there soon I'm sure.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 12:54 AM »

I think, if you take into account the era, you'd have to double Andy's grand slam wins to get a fair reflection. I think, over the next 3 years, Andy and Novak will clean up. I think Andy could finish with about eight slams. Given the era, that has added significance.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57 AM »

Saying that, his stats on the ATP website compare with players who've won 6, 7, 8 slams. Stuff like reliability index, breaks of serve, first-serve percentage etc etc., it's all going on.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26 AM »

Saying that, his stats on the ATP website compare with players who've won 6, 7, 8 slams. Stuff like reliability index, breaks of serve, first-serve percentage etc etc., it's all going on.
  He has to secure the No 1 ranking before this debate can really take off.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39 AM »

Great achievement. We'll never see the likes of Andy Murray from these shores again. Sometimes you forget that it's a pleasure just to have someone so consistently good.

Indeed it's amazing but never is probably a long time. Hopefully he's inspiring the next generation. Maybe not in our lifetime but noone thought we'd ever have anyone to match Fred Perry again. I'd like to think there might be another top player from Britain one day.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »