Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that!

(Read 2272 times)
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I'd like to think there might be another top player from Britain one day.

We can live in hope, but the odds are against it.

Despite only having one slam (so far) Murray keeps appearing in various stats lists with the all time greats so I think it's fair to call him a great.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 04:26 PM »

We managed to see the first set in the hotel in Paris then got 15mins wifi in the airport when they were 2-2 in the third  set I think. I spent the 8hour flight to Toronto in a state of nerves and was hugely upset when we finally got the result . Having read the reports had it not been for Andy's 5 setter I am sure he would have won. So proud of Andy's achievements, the matches between these two will always hinge on the smallest of details.
I will pay more attention to match dates in future, I never want to put myself or my long suffering husband through that again!
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 12:46 PM »

I've been as high as a kite all afternoon - and you can't really share why with people who don't understand 'the passion'.  That's why I always come back here - only place people understand! Very Happy

Same here. People outside just do not understand what it means to me.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08 PM »

What I find most interesting now the post match hullabaloo has died down a bit, is that the general consensus seems to be that Andy has come out of this defeat with mostly positive viewpoints directed towards him, that there was no choking on his part, no difference between them for 2 and a bit sets and that Andy performed admirably.

On the tennis forums there is talk of playing through pain, an unfair schedule hampering his chances and more importantly, his popularity seems to be in the ascendancy with most of the nasty commentators being told to shut up and making any spiteful comment look embarrassing for the person writing it.

Overall, I would say that this defeat is nothing compared to Wimbledon, Andy's post match speech after losing against Djoko cast him an even more positive light, and I think even his fans especially us are feeling pretty upbeat about it all, I certainly am.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13 PM »

His demeanour and speech post match was what helped me the most. He lost like a fully-fledged Champ.

Wimbledon was devastating, I still can't watch his speech.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23 PM »

What I find most interesting now the post match hullabaloo has died down a bit, is that the general consensus seems to be that Andy has come out of this defeat with mostly positive viewpoints directed towards him, that there was no choking on his part, no difference between them for 2 and a bit sets and that Andy performed admirably.

On the tennis forums there is talk of playing through pain, an unfair schedule hampering his chances and more importantly, his popularity seems to be in the ascendancy with most of the nasty commentators being told to shut up and making any spiteful comment look embarrassing for the person writing it.

Overall, I would say that this defeat is nothing compared to Wimbledon, Andy's post match speech after losing against Djoko cast him an even more positive light, and I think even his fans especially us are feeling pretty upbeat about it all, I certainly am.

I think that's generally true. I think Andy has come out of the AO in a good place, in spite of the loss of the final. I honestly think most people who know what they are talking about seem to think that Andy is on an upward trend now, and is effectively the second best player in the world, with potentially a lot of success to come, this year and beyond.

I wouldn't know about other tennis forums, but a lot of the comments in response to newspaper articles take a similar view. There will always be fools who don't like Andy for some reason, or who watch tennis for two weeks a year and think they are experts, but a lot of people have discussed the schedule, Andy's quite obvious injuries (feet and hamstring) and realised it did put Andy at a disadvantage.

After Wimbledon I cried right along with Andy, I don't mind admitting it. Then again, I cried with joy when he won the Olympics (I feel he has underlined that win by beating Federer again at the AO) and the USO. All in all I seem to have spent a lot of tears on Andy over the last six or seven months lol. However, Sunday, whilst disappointing, i nothing to cry over. Andy fought, but lost this time. More chances will come though, I'm certain of it, and it seems a lot of other people now agree.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Wimbledon was devastating, I still can't watch his speech.

I agree with that. Even now it's heartbreaking. Mind you, if someone had told him then what lay ahead, I like to think he would have done cartwheels lol.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 10:39 PM »

I totally agree with you and I think this article is a great example of what you are saying Smile

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1503461-djokovic-vs-murray-6-things-we-learned-from-2013-australian-open-final#/articles/1503461-djokovic-vs-murray-6-things-we-learned-from-2013-australian-open-final/page/2
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02 PM »

His demeanour and speech post match was what helped me the most. He lost like a fully-fledged Champ.

Exactly, I was shocked myself. Lifted up my mood too. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 02:37 PM »

I'll tell you what, I think that is miraculous, someone from Bleacher Report who can tell it like it is. Balanced and fair to both men, that is a really good piece. Thanks Simone, and if I haven't said it before, welcome to MW.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58 PM »

I'll tell you what, I think that is miraculous, someone from Bleacher Report who can tell it like it is. Balanced and fair to both men, that is a really good piece. Thanks Simone, and if I haven't said it before, welcome to MW.

Thank you for the welcome Smile
Yeah reading this article made me really happy, that other people are finally "getting" Andy in the way that we his fans do!
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 10:21 AM »

I'd never heard of the Bleacher Report Thanks,another thing I've learnt from MW.I'd like to join with Teejay in welcoming Simone

IP Logged
Simone

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01 AM »

I'd never heard of the Bleacher Report Thanks,another thing I've learnt from MW.I'd like to join with Teejay in welcoming Simone

Thank you Smile
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: 3 Consecutive Slam Finals. Only 5 have bettered that! « Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53 AM »

If Andy reaches the QF at Rolland Garros he matches Pete Sampras with 10 QF appearances in a row. Only Fed, Joker, Nadal and Lendl have topped that!

If Andy reaches the Semis at Rolland Garros he will have reached at  4 consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals TWICE in his career. Again only  Fed, Joker, Nadal and Lendl can compete with that.

It show how in this era, unlike previous eras the Slams are completely dominated by 4 players. The rest are basically nowhere. The rest of the guys are just there to get the top 4 warmed-up really.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »