Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's comments over England 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: <poll removed>
- - 0 (0%)
- - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 57 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's comments over England

(Read 22586 times)
kathw

Murray's comments over England « on: June 07, 2006, 11:20 AM »

Mod NoticeAs the Anti-English story has now been irrefutably debunked by the journalist who provoked the joke comment, anyone registering to MW to use this false story to complain that Murray is anti-english will be banned as it breaks our T&C to spread false information on this forum.

The journalist responsible for the World Cup comment reveals the truth:

"Let me return to the topic of Andy Murray and this whole anti-English argument for what I truly hope is the last time - although I doubt it.

Some of the nonsensical criticism Britain's No 1 has received is laced with such misplaced venom and outrage that it makes me despair.

So, for the hard of thinking, let me state here that: I did the interview with Andy Murray and Tim Henman a couple of years back where Murray talked about 'supporting whoever England were playing against'.

It was a clearly a sarcastic remark. He was responding to teasing from your columnist about Scotland's absence from the 2006 World Cup and derisive laughter from the mischievous Henman.

It was reported in that context in this newspaper at the time and the exchange was run as a transcript.

A couple of days later a red-top got excited about the comments, lifted a couple of them into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost.

It is astonishing how this has run and run."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1033143/Des-Kelly-Federer-8217-s-winner-taking-defeat-like-man-son.html

Andy needs to remember that he will be wanting support from English fans to lift his game at Wimbledon this year and therefore should think about what he is saying before he informs everyone that for each England World Cup match played this year he will be wearing their opponents shirt and supporting them.  He will need all the support he can get in the future and shouldn't alleniate English fans after all if England were out of the world cup and Scotland were in, we would be supporting Scotland
[ Last edit by Mark June 13, 2010, 12:20 PM ] IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:32 AM »

Possibly but Scots have lots of reasons for getting annoyed at the English about this

• The main headline on the news is the latest update on Wayne Rooney's foot.
  • Every football programme has phrases like "the nation expects". What nation are they talking about since this is on national broadcasters - with the nation being the UK not England.
  • 1966 is mentioned every ten seconds during matches (do you know that a lot of Scots have sweepstakes on how long it will take commentators to mention 1966 during England games.
  • We're told we have to support England. We're not English so why? come up with one good reason! and just because you say you might support us (in a very patronising manner) is not one.

Should I come up with more reasons cause it won't be hard. (btw I do actually normally support England to win until things like this happen)
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:46 AM »

Of course he shouldn't support England. He is Scottish FFS. The only thing that pleases me as much as England qualifying for the WC is when Scotland don't qualify tbh.
However, as all the English fans support him, I don't think it was wise to come out and say some of the things he has said, about supporting everyone against England etc. Fair enough to think it as he's Scottish, but I don't think he sould have come out and said it all so publicly when he will be expecting us English fans to be cheering him on at Wimbledon. It's put me off him slightly tbh, and I can't be the only one.
Having said that, main reason I support him is because there really is noone else. Would much rather support someone English, and I still do prefer Henman by a long way. But there's no sign of anyone English coming through any time soon, so the Scot it is for now.

Kathw, I certainly wouldn't be supporting Scotland if England were not in it, but I also wouldn't be wearing the shirts of the opposition and signing for them from the rooftops.
IP Logged
arka
Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:56 AM »

Hmmm....

Due the highly controversial nationality issues I have, I think that I will most probably disagree with everyone out here. Frown

Andy needs to remember that he will be wanting support from English fans to lift his game at Wimbledon this year and therefore should think about what he is saying before he informs everyone that for each England World Cup match played this year he will be wearing their opponents shirt and supporting them.  He will need all the support he can get in the future and shouldn't alleniate English fans after all if England were out of the world cup and Scotland were in, we would be supporting Scotland

Andy should be supporting England obviously.
But you should remember that he plays for Great Britain and not Scotland. And the last time I checked it out (before thirty seconds to be really sure), England was a part of GBR. And as you are British, you should be supporting him in Wimbledon.

Why on earth are you so short sighted??????

I refuse to believe that people from England will not support Andy. no

The main headline on the news is the latest update on Wayne Rooney's foot.

Scotland failed to qualify for the WC(sadly) and Darren Fletcher has an intact foot(thankfully).

Every football programme has phrases like "the nation expects". What nation are they talking about since this is on national broadcasters - with the nation being the UK not England.

For good or for bad, majority wins.

1966 is mentioned every ten seconds during matches (do you know that a lot of Scots have sweepstakes on how long it will take commentators to mention 1966 during England games.

Normal human nature to dwell upon past glories. I have little doubt that the Scots would have done the same.

We're told we have to support England. We're not English so why? come up with one good reason! and just because you say you might support us (in a very patronising manner) is not one.

Because along with being Scottish, you are also British. And since England is a part of Britain, you should be supporting it.

Should I come up with more reasons cause it won't be hard.

Please dont. Frown

(btw I do actually normally support England to win until things like this happen)

Must say that I am pretty proud of you. Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:59 AM »

It would unfortunately be understandable if the english even boo'd Murray at Wimbledon after his comments on supporting the oposition of England in every match.

IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:00 PM »

Ffs, its a sad state of affairs when he can't have a bit of a joke about which team he's going to support for the sake of being politically correct.

Absolute ******** that the English would support Scotland IMO. If he doesn't want to support England, he doesn't have to support England.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 12:00 PM »

I refuse to believe that people from England will not support Andy. no

I know you don't really understand all the nationality stuff, but let me say this. If there was someone English at a similar age and similar level to Murray, I can tell you who I would be supporting, and who pretty much every other English fan would be supporting too. And it wouldn't be the Scot. As it is, there isn't anyone else, with the exception of Henman who is well past his best and coming to the end of his career.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:01 PM »

Absolute boll***s that the English would support Scotland IMO. If he doesn't want to support England, he doesn't have to support England.

Exactly.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:01 PM »

Ffs, its a sad state of affairs when he can't have a bit of a joke about which team he's going to support for the sake of being politically correct.

Absolute boll***s that the English would support Scotland IMO. If he doesn't want to support England, he doesn't have to support England.

Of course he shoudn't support England if his scottish but he went one step further didn't he? But I'm sure he has his reasons unless it was said as a joke.
IP Logged
arka
Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 12:02 PM »

But I'm sure he has his reasons unless it was said as a joke.

He did. yes
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 12:02 PM »

Of course he shoudn't support England if his scottish but he went one step further didn't he? But I'm sure he has his reasons unless it was said as a joke.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. He shouldn't support England, and I wouldn't expect him to. Just don't think he needed to come out and say some of the things he did so publicly when he expects all the English fans to support him.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 12:03 PM »

Do you think he will get a few boo's at Wimbledon then?
IP Logged
rochelle
Top Seed

Andy and Jamie

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:04 PM »

how many times have we had this conversation , i am english and i would say i would support scotland , but im sure alot of people wouldnt , so i guess its the same in scotland , alot of people will support england but there will be people who dont as well , and yeah Andy competes for GB but he also competes for scotland , as you well no he likes it when he called him a scot not british
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 12:04 PM »

Do you think he will get a few boo's at Wimbledon then?

I don't but I think it's possible.

But the sad thing is, I woudn't feel angry at the people booing.
[ Last edit by Mark June 07, 2006, 12:06 PM ] IP Logged
arka
Re: Murray's comments over England « Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 12:06 PM »

I don't but I think it's possible.

But the sad thing is, I woudn't feel angry at the people booing.

I really wonder what I will do. Crying or Very sad
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »