Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  A request 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

A request

(Read 7835 times)
Iain
Futures Level

A request « on: November 04, 2005, 11:11 PM »

This may sound terribly selfish. So fogive me if it does. I've taped over my copy of the Murray/Nalbandian match. I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Murray /Nalbandian match on video or DVD that they'd be willing to copy and let me have. Obviously I would pay for the cost of the video/dvd plus postage and packaging. It's a bit of an ask frankly, but I thought I'd try.

Thanks  Rolling Eyes  lol
Iain
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

A request « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 11:13 PM »

I've a horrible feeling that this is on one of the discs I've lost ( :P temporarily, though it may take weeks to find  Rolling Eyes  @ self)

But, and it's a big but at the moment because I'm really busy, I'll do you a copy when I finally unearth it.

As Captain Oates said "I may be some time". Wink
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

Thanks Tally « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 01:20 AM »

Thanks, Tally. Very kind.  lol  lol   I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still up at this time of night. I'll have to see if I can get my DVD player working now. I'm thinking of putting a bet on andy to finish in the top 25 by the end of next year. I've had a look at the ATP ratings and I reckon its 50/50 as to whether (have i spelt this right? It's too late!) he'll make it. If he has a good run in a couple of grand slams (say QFs) plus defending his points from the second half it would make great inroads. I think he'd also have to reach the third round at least in 8 tournaments. The maths are too tricky. I studied English and Spanish and I'm failing. Maybe that could be a new game or thread - to work out the various permutations that would have to occur for Andy to break into the top 25. I used to think it was determined by the ranking of the opponent you beat, but now I think it's the stage of the tournament you reach.

Anyway, before I send everyone to sleep zzzzz. I think you asked in an earlier post , Tally, about Tefl. Well, it is rewarding, teaching people who want to be there, who are polite and actually want to learn, but the pay isn't very good. The old chestnut of balancing pay against job satisfaction. You also have to know all the grammatical terms, which is a bit strange since English comes naturally to us(some more than others). So, for example, a student will say "Can you outline the differences between the second conditional and the third conditional please?" and you will have to go over it in your head and think, "Is the way I'm saying it the right way? Help, I don't know. Am I going mad?"

There was one time when I was teaching a Japanese student and when I asked  him why he wanted to learn English, he said "I'm learning English because I want to be impotent".

It sounds better said.

Got to go to bed, Iain
IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

Re: Thanks Tally « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 08:28 AM »

Quote from: "Iain"
...but now I think it's the stage of the tournament you reach.

That is indeed correct. Smile
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

A request « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:38 PM »

Iain, I completely am on your wavelength.

Teaching is breaking everyday things into small easily understood steps...that's where the skill lies. It's not as easy as some would have us believe. But heck, I think it must be amazing to teach people who actually want to be there, not just because it's a Government dictat.

I am a complete anti gambler, never done the lottery etc, so I have no idea of bets.

But good luck if you are betting.
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

A request « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 05:45 PM »

Help! fireworks are going off all around me. I feel like I'm in a war zone. Fortunately, the cat's under the bed. Yeah, you're best to leave betting well alone Tally. I was going to bet on Andy to be the last remaining Brit at Wimbledon at odds of 11/1. After what had happened to Tim and Greg in the first round, compared to Andy who won in straight sets it was't that surprising. But I'm glad I didn't because it would be impossible to enjoy watching Andy play with money riding on it. The tension was bad enough anyway!

Iain
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

A request « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 05:59 PM »

Sorry, I could have written this in my previous post, but I've just thought of it. You're right Tally when you say that it must be amazing to teach people who want to be there. I remember asking some Turkish girls I was teaching what their dreams and ambitions were, and they said to be able to go to school and finish their education. It kind of puts things in perspective. I used to moan about going to school a lot when I was a pupil, but the irony is that the kids who used to skive and get suspended due to bad behaviour are the ones I see hanging around the school gates - now that they're too old and have nothing else to do!

I don't want to sound like an old fuddy duddy to any posters who're still at school - I'm only 26! I was at school when Nirvana were around. They weren't very popular then. - but you'd be amazed at the amount of people I meet now who say their biggest regret is not applying themselves at school. Not everyone, some people are glad to leave, and some people aren't bright enough so it's a waste of time them staying, especially if you're good with your hands and can do a trade.

Iain
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

A request « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 06:01 PM »

i'm going to sound like a total loser, but for the most part i loved school, especially the last four years, year 10 - 13.
the teachers were fantastic, i had amazing friends and i really enjoyed the courses i was taking Smile
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

oxford « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 06:08 PM »

Hey Eire, big up for being honest. Whats's Oxford like? Lots of beautiful buildings and scintillating conversation. Have you found  other Murray supporters among the alumni or perhaps some of the Dons might be if you asked them. I doubt they'd admit to it though.  Very Happy

Very Happy Iain
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: oxford « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 06:19 PM »

Quote from: "Iain"
Hey Eire, big up for being honest. Whats's Oxford like? Lots of beautiful buildings and scintillating conversation. Have you found  other Murray supporters among the alumni or perhaps some of the Dons might be if you asked them. I doubt they'd admit to it though.  Very Happy

Very Happy Iain

lol, they just mock me mercilessly, no one has achieve quite my level of obsession yet.......but i will convert them!!!!

oxford is beautiful - conversation varies somewhat Wink loads of lovely buildings and crazy traditions Smile
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

A request « Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 07:16 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"
i'm going to sound like a total loser, but for the most part i loved school, especially the last four years, year 10 - 13.
the teachers were fantastic, i had amazing friends and i really enjoyed the courses i was taking Smile

I'm still in school and I really hate it, probably because I love it at home!  Crying or Very sad School sucks!
 Very Happy Anyone want to go for me??
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

A request « Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 07:37 PM »

well, i'll probably agree with Laura there...
school's not bad at the moment (im in year 10) and i can imagine the next few years will possibly be the best yet! Year 7-9 sucked, because just nothing much going on.. same subjects, same boring teachers, and i know for sure as soon as i get into uni there will be no fussing about.. work work work!!  Frown
Hahaa, yea.. im sounding like a looser too!  highfive at least there are two of us!  wink ...so Rock On School  :P plus, it's always nice to have a chat with friends behind the teachers back!  Rolling Eyes

I've been to oxford a couple of times.. beautiful place, but it really freaks me out, just sooo many students everywhere! doesn't really look like a proper town! in that understanding i like cambridge a bit more because it's bit more spacious.. and i dream of getting in. *dreams on*

Laura, you know those annual river boat races between Oxford and Cambridge Universities!? ..do you know any of the guys?! I'm a big fan!  Very Happy
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

A request « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 11:36 PM »

lol we'll be losers together julia!! enjoy the last few years of school - they're the best!! cambridge is beautiful, really lovely city - its just a long way away from cardiff - oxford is about 2 hours closer so i applied here Smile i'm pretty, no extremely, lucky coz its the only place i've ever really wanted to go to uni!
most of the guys in the boat race are actually quite a bit older than me, post-grads and stuff 22-26ish so i haven't met any of them. the boaties tend to hang out together quite a lot, but all the ones i've met seem really lovely - my college mum is a rower and shes a star!
you should def. apply to cambridge - any idea what subject you want to do or will tennis take over?? Wink
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

A request « Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 10:41 AM »

yeah, i found years 7-9 not great. ive just started year 10 and so far its better, i dont have to do some of he subjects i really hated anymore, we get "study periods", so we're not working all day. However, the work is getting harder, and coursework is upon us :-) (still haven't got round to doing that english coursework but still  #-o )

as for university, i used to want to go on and study medicine, but im not so sure anymore  Think . which university do i want to go to? tha Think im not sure about, id love to either go to Brighton, Edinborough (how to spell, i have no idea), or possibly one here in London
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

A request « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 10:47 AM »

study periods in year 10???!! LUCKY!! i didn't get those until year 12 and 13, and then i had less because i did four A Levels!!
*can't believe i've done my a levels!! i'm so old!!!!*

edinburgh would be an AMAZING place to go to uni, totally amazing Smile
got to agree that dropping subjects at the end of year 9 is the best thing!! it gets even better after gcse - you can drop almost everything!! hoorah!!

now - get on with your coursework!!!!  \Very Happy/
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »