Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 10 (38.5%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Simon in 2. - 0 (0%)
Simon in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon

(Read 4696 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « on: February 27, 2014, 07:29 AM »

Andy rocketed his way to the quarters with some solid play and a good percentage of first serves. Now, he will be put to the test even more when he faces familiar opposition in Gilles Simon, a player that Murray has had success over 11 times before, with the Scot only ever losing the one match to him. Simon is currently ranked 23 in the world, and has played some good tennis to get to the last 8, winning both his matches in straight sets.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47 AM »

Andy in 2 6-4 6-4.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:24 AM »

Pre-surgery I'd have said this would be as straight-forward as you come, but I have faint memories of a tougher three set win in their most recent encounter (I think) and given Murray's inconsistency since, I'm unsure about this one. Murray in 3, I think, with a spell of Simon dominating and everyone (me included) getting in a bit of a stir on here until Andy inevitably sorts it out and ups his game.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:35 AM »

I think their last meeting was on the clay last year. Something rings a bell about Madrid or something. It was touch and go for a while and Simon's tail was up, until Andy trod on it.

I'm going to say Andy in three, but two would be fine.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02 AM »

Andy rocketed his way to the quarters with some solid play and a good percentage of first serves. Now, he will be put to the test even more when he faces familiar opposition in Gilles Simon, a player that Murray has had success over 11 times before, with the Scot only ever losing the one match to him. Simon is currently ranked 23 in the world, and has played some good tennis to get to the last 8, winning both his matches in straight sets.

Simon has played Smyczek  (105), and Young (95), where as our recovering hero has had to tackle Andujar (34), who is on a run of very good form and  Sousa (44). As a rule of thumb I am usually fairly confident of any player Mr M has managed to beat on clay.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03 AM »

I think their last meeting was on the clay last year. Something rings a bell about Madrid or something. It was touch and go for a while and Simon's tail was up, until Andy trod on it.

I'm going to say Andy in three, but two would be fine.

I am going with three but because I still think that he might take a set to get going! Want it in two though for his confidence.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12 AM »

I am going with three but because I still think that he might take a set to get going! Want it in two though for his confidence.

You know, in a weird sort of way I wonder if being pushed somewhat at times will actually do his confidence more good than winning too easily. It must be pretty good to know that if he gets into a tight spot he can get out of it calmly enough.

There are limits, obviously, and certain players are better put away as simply as possible, but I think it's pretty good for Andy to know he can raise his level if he needs to, but also that he has enough in the tank for a bit of a battle.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20 AM »

Trouble with this one is, whoever wins and am as confident as I ever am over Andy's matches,  is gonna be exhausted after all the unending rallies Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:37 AM »

Murray won 8-6 in a third set tie-break in Madrid last year - that's the one I was thinking of (and good call Teejay), having lost the first set 2-6. Actually almost identical scoreline to his win over Ferrer in Miami.

That was on clay though, so hopefully it should be straightforward enough tomorrow. Hopefully...
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50 AM »

Murray won 8-6 in a third set tie-break in Madrid last year - that's the one I was thinking of (and good call Teejay), having lost the first set 2-6. Actually almost identical scoreline to his win over Ferrer in Miami.

That was on clay though, so hopefully it should be straightforward enough tomorrow. Hopefully...

It was also when he was having real problems with his back - especially on clay.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:05 AM »

Thanks TMH. It makes me happy to know my memory is good for something Smile. My brother has a theory we remember things we are interested in. He has a point Smile.

I think Alis is right too, Andy was struggling with his back a lot at that point, so fingers crossed. I actually think Andy is starting to look more like himself out there now. I hope that is a good sign.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:49 AM »

I still think Andy will win this one  If he does that will be 3 wins in a row  and will send a message that he is ready to make his comeback into higher rankings

IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02 PM »

If he wins this round he overtakes Del Potro in the rankings.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07 PM »

^ Fingers crossed
Nole and Rada are miles ahead,but just shows how close the rest of bunch are.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10 PM »

^ Fingers crossed
Nole and Rada are miles ahead,but just shows how close the rest of bunch are.

They are but that also means that they have loads of points to defend.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »