Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 10 (38.5%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Simon in 2. - 0 (0%)
Simon in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 38 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon

(Read 4268 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27 PM »

I'm fairly confident about this one, it's the following match(es) that will really test the new Murray.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37 PM »

Trouble with this one is, whoever wins and am as confident as I ever am over Andy's matches,  is gonna be exhausted after all the unending rallies Rolling Eyes
Maybe the heat and humidity might encourage Andy to keep the points fairly short. Whistle

And on that note, he's still getting used to playing consecutive days but hopefully his stamina will have improved since Rotterdam.  Fortunately his match against Sousa wasn't quite as taxing for him as the one against Thiem was.  Also he has a psychological advantage over Simon.

Andy in three but expect a slow start and one or two hiccups along the way.  Apart from his natural tendency to inconsistency, his form isn't 100% there yet, although he'll up his game when he has to.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 01:49 PM »

They are but that also means that they have loads of points to defend.

You are right but it is Nadal most at risk as he has 5600 points to defend up to and including the French Open. Novak has under half of those so might get to overtake Rafa but they will still be probably well above the others. There are 5 of the 1000 events up to Roland Garros so big points available.  Including the French Open all the players ranked 3-8 have not too different points totals to defend. Del Potro has the least but is injured so may not be able to go out and earn more, but Ferrer has the most with over 2000 to defend including RG. Andy although a winner in Miami has only 1460. This is why I am confident that he will overtake Ferrer before the grass season. Staying ahead up to US Open may be harder as the grass is Andy's big scoring period but he should go back ahead of others when playing tournaments missed last year through his injury and operation.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10 PM »

11-1 h2h says it all.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 02:18 PM »

I hope for a win, be it in three or better two. Though he might have the psychological advantage over Simon, I do not see a win as an automatism. The stats were no help against Cilic either. The scheduling is not very favourable for us Europeans. To get up at 5 or 6 in the morning is somehow feasible, yet at 3? For Andy it may be better than playing around midnight.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 03:02 PM »

Simon is a poor mans version of Andy. Andy to own his lapdog in 2
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 03:21 PM »

Simon is a poor mans version of Andy. Andy to own his lapdog in 2
  Hope Andy shows him more respect than that, Prod.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 03:31 PM »

If Andy plays as aggressive off the ground as he did today, but made a few less errors, this should be fairly straight forward as I don't think Gilles is in top form either after being injured on and off.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:41 PM »

A really interesting conversation with Jamie and Petch on Sky today.  Among other things they were saying that Andy will be happy with his last two matches and where his recovery is at the moment.  Jamie was saying that the more matches he plays the more Andy will 'trust his back'.  

Interestingly, they were both as bewildered about the umpire's decision in the Sousa match as we all were - felt that at the very least the point should have been replayed.  Andy was very gracious about it in his interview.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 03:55 PM »

Just watched the replay of the Sousa match.  I quite fancy Andy to win this tournament.  He's getting better with every match.

For all the talk of doom, here's an interesting statistic.  Andy has a win-lose record in 2014 of 11-3, which is a win ratio of 3.67.  That's actually better than his entire career to date, which is 431-134 or 3.22.

IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 03:57 PM »

A really interesting conversation with Jamie and Petch on Sky today.  Among other things they were saying that Andy will be happy with his last two matches and where his recovery is at the moment.  Jamie was saying that the more matches he plays the more Andy will 'trust his back'. 

Perhaps he should go for the win against Gilles Simon with a little more determination just to stop us all deliberating on when he is fit enough and what his ranking is. Beating him assures Andy a place no lower than 6 which is an improvement for his ranking and if everyone accepts he can play at least three days in a row he might have less comment in the media constantly talking about it. I can remember when I was recovering from a serious accident it was the constant reminders that delayed the final point when recovery was complete! That is when you are no longer compensating for the original problem or being hypersensitive to any sensations in the body?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 04:10 PM »

Just watched the replay of the Sousa match.  I quite fancy Andy to win this tournament.  He's getting better with every match.

For all the talk of doom, here's an interesting statistic.  Andy has a win-lose record in 2014 of 11-3, which is a win ratio of 3.67.  That's actually better than his entire career to date, which is 431-134 or 3.22.

But is it statistically significant mp? Somehow I guess not, but no doubt someone could do the maths.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 04:43 PM »

But is it statistically significant mp? Somehow I guess not, but no doubt someone could do the maths.

Probably not, Five - my A level maths was a very, very long time ago.  I'm just pointing out that Andy really hasn't had that bad a season so far.  11 wins out of 14 matches is a record most of the pros on the tour would kill for.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 04:46 PM »

On LiveScoreHunter they have predicted a 1am start, now that would be decent.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52 PM »

Probably not, Five - my A level maths was a very, very long time ago.  I'm just pointing out that Andy really hasn't had that bad a season so far.  11 wins out of 14 matches is a record most of the pros on the tour would kill for.
  Indeed. Incidentally, what is ( & when was)  Andy's longest unbroken run of wins?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »