Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 10 (38.5%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Simon in 2. - 0 (0%)
Simon in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon

(Read 4421 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #540 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45 PM »

I don't like commentators that fawn over certain players, hence why I cannot stand Brad Gilbert, Andrew Castle or Mark Petchey.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #541 on: February 28, 2014, 02:46 PM »

You should tell that to the commentators who eulogise over Fed and Nadal, PE!  Like Michelle, Masaka and  many others on this forum, I have found the commentators this week to be incredibly irritating and I include Jason Goodall in that.  That is my considered opinion, to which I am entitled - in the same way that you are entitled to yours, PE.  However, that is what it is - merely your opinion - not 'the truth' as you so often like to propound.  You are not alone in your glory - confusing fact with opinion is a common mistake.

I hated the Ashley Fisher comm most!  Why was he chosen?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #542 on: February 28, 2014, 02:50 PM »

He was commentating Delray Beach last week, so it was probably easy for him to get to Acapulco.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #543 on: February 28, 2014, 03:10 PM »

@Alis
What I cannot stand is when they eulogise over Fed even when he's not on the court.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #544 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20 PM »

@Alis
What I cannot stand is when they eulogise over Fed even when he's not on the court.  Rolling Eyes

Agreed!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #545 on: February 28, 2014, 03:38 PM »

Sorry tj it was more a comment. I am tired from these late nights too?

I apologise, I just wasn't quite sure if you were asking me something or telling me something. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #546 on: February 28, 2014, 04:03 PM »

I hated the Ashley Fisher comm most!  Why was he chosen?

Presumably because he's an idiot. Broadly speaking, apart from Petch and Fleming, with the odd Barry Millns highlight, I work on the theory they are all idiots.

It's not them being critical that really annoys me, to be fair. It's them simply not knowing basic things. There has been no attempt to understand that Andy was out for four months and is feeling his way back in after back surgery. That's not just me being defensive of Andy, it's a relevant point in a lot of the reason he is struggling at times.

The constant going on and on about Andy's attitude was pathetic last night. Let me see, a set, and not just a set, a 6-1 set, and 4-2 down, I would have thought Andy had a right to be a bit annoyed with himself, and that is all it was. He didn't deserve the 'he's always like this' comment from the fool in the comm box. He should have been watching four or five years ago, maybe a bit more, when Andy used to rant at himself. His ridiculous point might just have been valid then.

Andy was also the subject of an 'if he wants to win slams' lecture this week during commentary. Er, silly me, did I dream him winning two already? There was no qualification of 'if he wants to win slams this year', or 'if he wants to win more slams'. It was a stupid comment that didn't even make sense.

Those are just the edited highlights, or should that be lowlights, from 'Ash' and the other bloke this week. Jason Goodall should really stick to his interesting match analysis slots because there is no way he's a half decent commentator.

I don't buy into the argument that Petch sucks up to Andy. I've watched matches when Petch has got quite annoyed with Andy, in those odd times when Andy has been fully match fit, but just hasn't performed well. In those situations Petch can be really sharp about him, really tells it like it is, because he clearly knows better than most how good Andy is. I don't mind that personally, if it is fair. In my opinion the fact that he would also be one of the first to say when Andy is playing his best and has been known to get into matches (the USO 2012 against Lopez!) enthusiastically is what makes him a good commentator.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #547 on: February 28, 2014, 05:47 PM »

Love every one here knocking experienced commentators like they'd do the job better, just love it.

Goodall is a top notch commentator.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #548 on: February 28, 2014, 05:50 PM »

Love every one here knocking experienced commentators like they'd do the job better, just love it.

Goodall is a top notch commentator.

In your opinion. Other people are entitled to theirs.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #549 on: February 28, 2014, 06:00 PM »

If you find Jason Goodall dire, stop watching tennis.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #550 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06 PM »

If you find Jason Goodall dire, stop watching tennis.

Not his analysis, which is always very good. It's his commentary that isn't so hot.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #551 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08 PM »

And I am entitled to discuss and debate, against peoples opinions, that I disagree with.

"Oh boo hoo, Goodall and Fisher said negative things against Andy, so I no longer like them any more. They are terrible commentators"...

Lol. You might not like him, but there is no way Goodall is a terrible commentator. The fact is he's broadcast on Tennis for over 10 years, he is a commentator on a Feed that is used by TV Channels across the globe. If he was a terrible commentator he would be commentating on those betting streams for the outside courts at Masters 1000 events.

I might not like Castle, Petchey or Rudzeski, but to an extent I would say all were decent at their job. It's not easy to sit in a booth and describe a game in a clear voice giving facts and opinions on the play and they all do it well enough for their employers to be happy with them.

So, who are we to complain? We're just fans sitting at home being critical of something that is not as easy as it sounds. teejay, I know you don't like it when people criticise Andy's game after matches etc etc on here, so isn't it a bit unfair that you are criticising commentators for doing their job?

It speaks volumes that you like the 3 commentators that seem to be positive 90% of the the time towards Andy, but don't seem to like those comms who are neutral in who they support and don't align themselves with any player whatsoever.

I wonder if say for example a commentator did to Federer or Nadal, what you claim they are doing to Andy, but was totally 'fine' when commentating on Andy's matches, would you like them, or not.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #552 on: February 28, 2014, 06:21 PM »

Sorry but as a tennis fan if i'm sat watching a tennis match and some commentator comes out with something akin to "If Andy Murray only smiled a bit more he'd have won many more slams by now" i'll take offence and turn the smegger off.

Comms should commentate on the match and nothing else, not give personal insight into why a player is not a multi slam winner (which is nothing more than a personal opinion and may not be shared by others) or even worse the Andre Castle style commentator who spends half the time discussing the colour of peoples umbrellas.

I don't have issues with comms being critical of any player including Andy as they are usually correct, i like to hear tactics being dissected or giving reasons why a player is not playing so well, not "Andy's body language is so depressing, he could have won 25 slams by now if he only cheered up"
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #553 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23 PM »

Who actually made that comment? Fisher?

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 QF: Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon « Reply #554 on: February 28, 2014, 06:34 PM »

Who actually made that comment? Fisher?

I have no idea who made the comment, i'm not joining in the debate about the comms being mentioned here, just explanining my personal reaction to what gets said during a match. Most comms are guilty of being biased towards certain players and i get annoyed when personal opinions start getting thrown in to the mix. When comms start going on about a players body language being an impediment to their overall success, i tend to facepalm the TV.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »