Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 15 (75%)
Murray in 3. - 5 (25%)
Sousa in 2. - 0 (0%)
Sousa in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa

(Read 2697 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #180 on: February 27, 2014, 08:24 AM »

The point was ad to Andy on Sousa's serve.  Andy hit a shot onto the sideline and Sousa's next shot was clearly out. Next moment Sousa said he heard Andy's ball called "out" and this put him off. The linesman didn't call. After a lot of argy barging the score went back to deuce. Everyone totally baffled, then one of the comms said maybe Andy had shouted out on that point. Think it's called "hindrance?"
Andy told the referee that someone in the crowd shouted "No". Think the point should have stood, or Sousa had his 2 serves, no way should Andy have lost the point.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #181 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31 AM »

Just managed to catch the end of the match this morning. Whatever it took to get there, Andy in straight sets is more like it!

The comms are still annoying. I wonder if they earn more for stating the patently obvious or for what they make up when they don't know.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #182 on: February 27, 2014, 08:38 AM »

Didn't see the match - what was the controversial decision in the first set?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #183 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45 AM »

Please win tomorrow I don't want another QF loss, it can't be good mentally.

I don't think he will want to lose to Simon. He habitually eats Frenchmen for breakfast. However I don't think it would worry him unduly at this stage of his recovery. He is heading in the right direction. The match yesterday showed that. Cowan was saying yesterday that Murray is progressing as expected, that he is heading back to full form. That is might not be this week, or next, but it will happen. I almost felt off my chair - positivity and reasonableness from him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #184 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01 AM »

I don't think he will want to lose to Simon. He habitually eats Frenchmen for breakfast. However I don't think it would worry him unduly at this stage of his recovery. He is heading in the right direction. The match yesterday showed that. Cowan was saying yesterday that Murray is progressing as expected, that he is heading back to full form. That is might not be this week, or next, but it will happen. I almost felt off my chair - positivity and reasonableness from him.

Agree completely. It's not often I find myself nodding when Cowan speaks, unless I'm nodding off of course, but he was right yesterday. Andy's getting there, no doubt. Every win must boost his confidence just now. He looked delighted to get the win today and rightly so.
IP Logged
Thevalley
Junior

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #185 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20 AM »

Didn't see the match - what was the controversial decision in the first set?
Andy hit a winner down the line and as sousa hit his return (which was out) someone shouted something which might have been out or no. The play stopped and it looked as if they were going to replay the point -as Sousa claimed the shout had put himoff. However the point was given against Andy. Comms did not know why but then there was a suggestion it was actually Andy who had shouted (because he thought he had missed the line). As a result the point was given against him for putting Sousa off. But not sure if it was Andy who called or someone else. Very odd - but result at end of day.

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #186 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44 AM »

That was a totally bizarre decision.  I can't remember who the umpire was but I don't think he'll be umpiring anything major anytime soon.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #187 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52 AM »

That was a totally bizarre decision.  I can't remember who the umpire was but I don't think he'll be umpiring anything major anytime soon.

But the tournament referee came out and agreed so the umpire is now blameless?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #188 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52 AM »

^ I couldn't agree more! Totally bad decision and it wasn't Andy who shouted. It sounded to me like it came from the opposite end of the court! I think the umpire might have been trying to stay on Sousa's right side in case Sousa had another go at him!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #189 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59 AM »

The umpire was Ali Nili, who is very experienced, but I've just finished watching the match, or rather the part of the match my sky box decided to record, and there is no way Andy should have lost that point, just no way.

There was a shout, I'd agree with that, but it wasn't from Andy. I agree with Caz, it sounded like it was from the opposite end of the court, and I don't see any situation where it could have hindered Sousa.

Personally I can't help thinking it was a desperate attempt to appear to not favour the higher ranked player, but it was completely the wrong decision. Andy was right to be annoyed, but I was glad it didn't get to him too much.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #190 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59 AM »

^ I couldn't agree more! Totally bad decision and it wasn't Andy who shouted. It sounded to me like it came from the opposite end of the court! I think the umpire might have been trying to stay on Sousa's right side in case Sousa had another go at him!

I think that was undoubtedly what was going on.  He had made a decision against Sousa earlier on and his judgement was definitely coloured by that.  I wasn't surprised that the referee sided with the umpire - it would have made the umpire's position untenable if he hadn't. 
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #191 on: February 27, 2014, 02:31 PM »

No matter what it was a wrong decision, and I am proud of Andy for just moving forward and not letting it get in the way of his play.  If this had happened a few years back, you may have seen it affect Andy's play.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #192 on: February 27, 2014, 04:35 PM »

No matter what it was a wrong decision, and I am proud of Andy for just moving forward and not letting it get in the way of his play.  If this had happened a few years back, you may have seen it affect Andy's play.
Absolutely Apollo.......Back in the bad ol' days, something like that might have lost him the match!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #193 on: February 27, 2014, 04:48 PM »

Andy was also very gracious about it in his interview. 
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 R2: Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa « Reply #194 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05 PM »

I agree with that especially as if he does he will be above DelPO in the rankings. All I want now if for Ivan to explain to Andy how to beat Berdych whom I see as a threat for the 500's where he could make a lot of points.

I liked the commentator's comment that "he went the scenic route" to his win. I think that meant he could have demolished Sousa if he wanted but chose not to? It did look like that. Well played.

Well played Andy.

That is strange.  Exactly what I said to my OH this morning.  I wonder if he is doing as much as necessary without putting too much strain on himself as he did seem to run out of steam at Rotterdam.  I know they say that they only do what is necessary at the GS's so as to conserve as much energy as possible so maybe they also do this in the lower tournies.  It would make sense to me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »