Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (23.1%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Dimitrov in 2. - 3 (11.5%)
Dimitrov in 3. - 1 (3.8%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 7877 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « on: February 28, 2014, 08:02 AM »

Murray overcame Gilles Simon in the quarterfinals, in a nerve destroying two hour and a half classic, 1-6 7-6 6-2. He will now face 22nd ranked Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, who overcame on form Ernests Gulbis in similar fashion to Murray in three sets. These two have met three times before, with Murray running home with the victory each time without losing a set, despite Grigor getting close to winning sets in their previous two encounters last year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:16 AM »

Definitely the more preferable opponent, but still going to be a very tough test given Murray's clearly still far from his best. Winnable though.

Andy's consistently gotten off to a really slow start but then stepped it up a gear at some point in the second set before taking the third relatively comfortably. Don't know if he will be able to get away with that against Dimitrov though. Expect he'll lose the first (comfortably) but I don't know if Grigor will let him back into it if he falls a break behind in the second.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:16 AM »

Come on Andy hopefully you have got rid of your "rubbish match" against Simon and you come out all guns blazing

btw GM during the match thread you were saying Andy was finished likening his ending as similar to Safin and Hewitt????  Reading back through the comments you must have got "troll" award for that.....
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28 AM »

Good opportunity for Andy to progress to the final, and to win the tournament in fact.  He's going to have to sort out whatever is causing his painfully slow starts to matches though.

Andy's win record this year is now 12-3, which is a very good record indeed , despite all the doom and gloom surrounding his return after his injury.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57 AM »

Andy in 2.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03 AM »

This is going to feel like the Final I reckon now Ferrers out. Hate to call it. If Andy has to hang in for three his superior conditioning should see Dimitrov off in these conditions though. I expect him to go for it big though. He needs to send a strong message that he's back.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06 AM »

Let's hope that Andy gets some practice on his second serve.  It was a real weakness last night.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12 AM »

Another win, not pretty , but still wining, so I'm happy, he is only going to get better, he still is feeling his way, hope he wins the whole thing, will really help him to believe in himself again Smile  second half of the year is when Andy will be back to himself I think.
[ Last edit by deb February 28, 2014, 09:58 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:48 AM »

cmonandy

* Murray vs Dimitrov.jpg (184.29 KB, 729x828 - viewed 108 times.)
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01 PM »

I fear  that this match v Dimitrov will be a match too far for Andy Everything is against Andy winning . 4 matches on consecutive days and the likelihood of Dimitrov being an up and coming player seizing the
 opportunity to really go out and win, will  make things difficult for him
  So I fear Dimitrov will win in 3  I shall be delighted to be wrong cos if Andy wins he really will be back to form and hopefully have his no4 spot in the rankings back again
  This match I shall get up early for
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24 PM »

Unfortunately the fact that their last matches have been so close makes me feel that a slow start here could be costly, and should Andy lose the first set, any lapses thereafter could well be punished as I can't see Dimitrov letting him off the hook too easily once he has his foot in the door.  That said, Andy has done much better than anyone expected since his return, and his experience plus his will to win could well stand him in good stead once again, although there has to be the added factor now as to how well his body has stood up to the challenge of playing matches on consecutive days.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 12:31 PM »

H2H 's are not a good prediction in 2014 (Florian Mayer, Cilic, and also against Simon although he won lastly..). Let's hope he'll get more self-confidence.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 12:32 PM »

I fear  that this match v Dimitrov will be a match too far for Andy Everything is against Andy winning . 4 matches on consecutive days and the likelihood of Dimitrov being an up and coming player seizing the
 opportunity to really go out and win, will  make things difficult for him
  So I fear Dimitrov will win in 3  I shall be delighted to be wrong cos if Andy wins he really will be back to form and hopefully have his no4 spot in the rankings back again
  This match I shall get up early for

Dimitrov has less time to recover and he looked exhausted, so I wouldn't write Andy off.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44 PM »

Let's hope that Andy gets some practice on his second serve.  It was a real weakness last night.
personally I'd prefer he didn't ie that his first serve was on song.   He can work on his 2nd serve in good time when he's fully recovered from surgery and rehab.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55 PM »

I just an interviews and he is not at all happy with slow starts this week. I truly believe he will start better now. The Simon match was the wake up call.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »