Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (23.1%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Dimitrov in 2. - 3 (11.5%)
Dimitrov in 3. - 1 (3.8%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 8001 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1005 on: March 01, 2014, 05:22 PM »

I think we should just start ignoring the four of them, it's like kids, ignore the bad behaviour and it soon stops - my pledge I am not responding to anymore of the infamous four's posts - because it's minutes that I will never get back again!!!

If you can't take a bit of negativity, a forum isn't the best place to visit, anywhere.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1006 on: March 01, 2014, 05:34 PM »

^  Yup.    We don't want to end up like the Andy Murray fan forum.  you can't say Anything Negative there.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1007 on: March 01, 2014, 06:19 PM »

@Teejay I think you have got it spot on with everything you say. It's quite interesting that those of us with disabilities, or who have had major surgery, (I will raise you six doses of general anaesthetic, and six operations), understand completely what's going on with Murray at the moment. I also don't think Murray is going to take short cuts. It might well be that in taking sufficient time to get it properly right, rather than accepting almost right, the last couple of years of his career will enable him to challenge for the No 1 spot, and more Slams.

To be honest I don't think anyone who has never been under the knife, or rather, has never experienced major surgery, will ever understand exactly what it is like, even for a normal, everyday person with a normal, everyday job and lifestyle. It really makes you think what an elite athlete will go through.

I have to say I'm not an expert by any standards, I've never had back surgery, but I have refused a spinal procedure once. I have a condition called scoliosis, a curvature of the spine, which I could have had sorted surgically a number of years ago. I opted out, mainly because the thought of the surgery, a long procedure, plus all the recovery, frightened the life out of me. I admire Andy a lot for making what must have been a difficult, if entirely understandable decision to go under the knife. I don't care what anyone says, there are risks to all surgeries, and there certainly are risks to elite sportsmen. I don't need to say more than that, we all know what I mean.

I've had neurosurgery procedures a number of times, and a very big operation on a foot to attempt to straighten it a bit. Yes, it was every bit as gross as it sounds. That one was bad because it took a while to get me physically right afterwards. It's no coincidence in my mind that a short time after that surgery I became very ill with measles. I was quite lucky to pull through that with no real lasting damage. According to what my mother told me years later, it was touch and go for a while that I would come through it at all.

I think it was interesting a while back to see Andy saying that if he ever needed surgery again there are things he would do differently. Now, he didn't go into detail, but it did make me think that the whole rehab thing has been a learning curve for him. Hopefully he'll never need to use what he has learned again. It makes me glad to know he has such a good team around him. It was noticeable to me earlier to see how Jez Green was so supportive of Andy during the Dimitrov match. I don't think I've seen him look quite that animated for a while.

There is no doubt in my mind that Andy has probably elongated his career by having the surgery. I have to admit that pre-surgery there were times when I feared for him. It wasn't so much when he had the problems on the clay, but when it became pretty clear he was starting to struggle on the hard courts, especially last year. Sometimes it was painful to see his movement just not quite right, or to see him in pretty obvious pain. On the grass, which has never been a big issue for his back, I think we've seen the real Andy over the last couple of years. The grass, in my view, has really shown off the new and improved Murray really well, because he's been able to play freely. Is there anything much better in tennis than Andy's movement on a grass court?

I've got no doubt whatsoever that once Andy is fully match fit he has every chance of really taking off. I think we've seen enough since he came back to have every hope that is possible.

Lendl said a while ago that he thought Andy would be back to his best at RG. Looking at him this week I wouldn't be surprised. For the most part this week Andy has found his game when he's needed it. Look at the position he was in against Simon for example. I confess I went to bed thinking he was done that night, but Andy proved me wrong. Just like at the AO, when it's been good it's been really good this week. Today it was just a few points here and there that made the difference.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1008 on: March 01, 2014, 07:00 PM »

@Teejay. I have scoliosis as well, as a results of being badly lame, and having muscle weakness on one side. I won the prize of 12 months in a full body brace for 23/24 hours a day for that. I think I would have chosen surgery if it had been offered.  Mind you I almost clobbered a consultant I saw about my hip a few years later, who made the comment "you have got quite a curve there".

I think the point is those of us who have battled injury, or had the misfortune to arrive with duff parts, or know people who have, completely understand why it is taking Murray a while to get sorted.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1009 on: March 01, 2014, 07:20 PM »

Having quickly read through post-match posts on this thread it does seem to me that it is only a small minority of members who simply seem unable or unwilling to understand that coming back from surgery affects mental stamina and decision-making on court as well as physical prowess.  Given that, is it really so surprising that he fell short in two tie breaks and thereby lost the match even though the stats showed they were pretty even?
No one is asking for sycophantic blindness to weaknesses but what we are asking for is some understanding and some empathy.  As others have said no one will be more disappointed than Andy though good to see him taking the defeat in good heart.  And personally having been very disappointed immediately after the match I've actually been in a surprisingly good mood today because I have faith in Andy and I'm so relieved that it looks like the back op has been a success, even if it's taking time for him to trust in it and to re-find the kind of game he was playing with Lendl's help.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1010 on: March 01, 2014, 08:42 PM »

Your expectations and that of others are just too high, let me see if i have this right. Andy plays about 18 tournaments a year, not even in the realms of fantasy is it possible for him or any other tennis player to win every one he enters, there has been of course exceptions to the rule for instance Nole in 2011 won plenty, but these are few and far between. Can you please explain to me how you would like Andy to lose? when he got beaten by Cilic he pretty much trounced and the knives were out, he now loses a very close match which could have gone either way and yet again the knives are out.

Most tennis matches are decided by the odd point going one way or the other, small margins. Believing that he will play a perfect match every time he steps foot on court is not only unrealistic but damn right absurd, most on this forum understand that, while others like you take it as some kind of personal sleight against you the fan. I don't know if you play sport competitively or not, but even in the work place can you assure me that when you go to work every day that it all goes swimmingly perfect for you each and every day? my guess is no.

All this "why can't he do this or that" makes me cringe, it's not as if he does it on purpose. I watch a lot of tennis, and anybody who does would know that this happens to every player on tour not just Murray. There is only ever 1 winner of a tournament, and there are numerous factors involved.

If you really do find it incredible that Andy can't win every match he plays, then may i suggest choosing another sport to follow? i feel you will only ever be dissapointed if you continue to watch tennis.

I like this post,  Gnome. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1011 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45 PM »

I was on this thread for the 1st set and a bit, but couldn't keep my eyes open because it was so late here.

Haven't read this thread since then.. don't think I'll bother just by reading this page.

Sounds déjà vu.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1012 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48 PM »

I was on this thread for the 1st set and a bit, but couldn't keep my eyes open because it was so late here.

Haven't read this thread since then.. don't think I'll bother just by reading this page.

Sounds déjà vu.

Dont linda  no you will regret it
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1013 on: March 01, 2014, 09:56 PM »

Let me guess..

Andy is an idiot, mug, useless, fill-in-the-blanks here.......

Followed by a frothing rash of indignation.

Followed by an argument of West Side Story proportions.

Meanwhile, Andy is (thankfully) oblivious and gets on with his job.

?

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1014 on: March 01, 2014, 09:58 PM »

Yep....that about covers it  yes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1015 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07 PM »

Thought so. yawn
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1016 on: March 01, 2014, 10:15 PM »

Thought so. yawn
68 pages!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1017 on: March 01, 2014, 10:19 PM »

68 pages!

That's not entirely fair, Elena. Shouldn't it be 40-odd pages of tosh?

I was here for the first dozen or so.  Whistle
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1018 on: March 01, 2014, 10:40 PM »

That's not entirely fair, Elena. Shouldn't it be 40-odd pages of tosh?

I was here for the first dozen or so.  Whistle

OK sorry! Just thought 68 pages for a match thread for a 500 SF was a lot. Haven't been able to watch Andy this week, except for a bit of today's match. Looked pretty close to me. Pity about the tie breaks.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1019 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48 PM »

OK sorry! Just thought 68 pages for a match thread for a 500 SF was a lot. Haven't been able to watch Andy this week, except for a bit of today's match. Looked pretty close to me. Pity about the tie breaks.

That's how I saw it, too. yes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »