Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (23.1%)
Murray in 3. - 16 (61.5%)
Dimitrov in 2. - 3 (11.5%)
Dimitrov in 3. - 1 (3.8%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] Go Down Reply
Author

Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 8016 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1020 on: March 02, 2014, 12:55 AM »

Yup, could've gone either way, good effort by both, think the battle to hold serve at 5-5 took the last of Andy's reserves . lots of mental ranting fillling most of this thread. time to draw a line and move on to IW via World Tennis Day.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1021 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12 AM »

Its just a shame that Andy hit a few too many balls at Grigor, rather than trying to pass him in the second set tiebreak, would have won him the match for certain as Grigor was only just beginning to play great by that point.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2014, 04:33 PM »

I wanted to see Andy in that hat and trophy. Frown
Here's Dimi

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2014, 05:01 PM »

@gangsta
Agree, but poor shot selection is usually the result of tiredness, either mental or physical.
Think A was suffering a bit of both tbh.
Think at the mo. he's probably thinking a lot about how his back is behaving.
Guess that will fade.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1024 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Yep I think he is tired physically and mentally. And when that happens during a match everything goes. He probably couldn't do his pre season training block to his usual intensity and maybe he is suffering now because of it.

However IMO if a tennis player steps out onto the court he is fit to play. No question. No debate. So Andy is fit and I personally hope we have heard the last of posters on here using his back/surgery/weather whatever as an excuse. Bottom line is its disrespectful to the opponent.

IP Logged
LORD WONK

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1025 on: March 02, 2014, 10:10 PM »

Well said Bignose, the voice of reason.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1026 on: March 03, 2014, 10:07 AM »

Well said Bignose, the voice of reason.

Rubbish.    He doesn't know the difference between an excuse and a reason.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1027 on: March 03, 2014, 04:03 PM »

Yep I think he is tired physically and mentally. And when that happens during a match everything goes. He probably couldn't do his pre season training block to his usual intensity and maybe he is suffering now because of it.

However IMO if a tennis player steps out onto the court he is fit to play. No question. No debate. So Andy is fit and I personally hope we have heard the last of posters on here using his back/surgery/weather whatever as an excuse. Bottom line is its disrespectful to the opponent.

One word - Ballox.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1028 on: March 03, 2014, 05:01 PM »

I don't think that's the case, BN.  Elite athletes carry knocks and aches and pain pretty much all of the time, due to the extreme pressures they put on their bodies.  

I'd recommend reading Agassi's autobiography, where he describes the constant battle against pain and injury he encountered.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Acapulco 500 2014 SF: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1029 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29 PM »

I think what's missing from the analysis that there remains a massive gulf between the "fit to play" and "fully fit" and being fit doesn't always equate to "in top form", especially in a highly skilled sport like tennis where being out of practice is an issue. 

For me, being "fit to play" simply means that you won't injure yourself, or do yourself any harm by playing.   For someone in Andy's position, coming back from injury, the best way to regain match fitness is to play, and only way to get fully match sharp is to play. 

Unless you are the sort of person who calls in sick at the drop of a hat, I'm sure we've all had days at work where we've performed below par.  The only exceptions might be people doing very critical work, such as surgeons or air traffic control, but it's equally unrealistic to expect they are never a little bit tired.  It's entirely unrealistic to think that tennis players are somehow different.

If people think that Andy is now fully fit, that's fair enough to give that opinions, but any suggestion that tennis players occupy a binary world of being fully fit or withdrawing from tournaments is naive at best.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »