Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 18791 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Andy's 2013 clay court season « on: April 02, 2013, 11:02 AM »

So just under a fortnight to go to the clay court season.  Although Andy used to say that it's his favourite surface, it's clearly the one he is least successful on.    I think this is because the way he moves doesn't work so well on clay as on hard/grass courts but there may be other reasons too that those more expert than I can advise on.  The good news is that Andy doesn't have that many points to defend, as last year's clay court season was rather disappointing, partly because of injury.  So all being well he won't relinquish the number 2 ranking to smugfed.  The joker in the pack will not be the Joker (who of course is aiming to win RG for first time) but Rafa who won't be a top seed.
Anyway I don't have anything very profound to say but thought we could start discussing the season now during the next couple of weeks.  And I've added a poll.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18 AM »

I really don't like clay.  Monte Carlo drives me nuts coz I'm usually on a livestream and can hardly see the ball old lol  

Who could forget Rome in 2011?  Nearly, but not quite converting me Very Happy

Hopefully the quality of the highlights are better than what's appearing on my computer crossfingers

Best of luck Andy!  cmonandy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32 AM »

@ Ruthie
Yes, Andy's movement is poor on clay. He just can't slide like Rafa and Nole. He wears ankle braces so that might make his ankles stiffer and less flexible?
Contrast with his movement on grass, which is superb.
In a way the clay season is a blessed relief. I don't expect too much of Andy and I would expect him to be beaten by any of the other top5.
But come the all too brief grass, my nerves will be a-jangling again.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Thanks for the highlights from Rome Bev - I recall missing that match.  The ball is often not that great on tv either.
bbh: yes I'm sure the ankle braces don't help. And like you it's something of a relief not to have high expectations of the clay court season.  But Andy did pretty well two years ago and it would be good if he could at least do as well again and clearly he's aiming for that.  Trouble is even with lower expectations it doesn't stop the nerves jangling when it comes to individual matches. 
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01 PM »

Looking forward to it - he's had a full year working with Lendl, who was an astute clay courter.

Hoping for a semi-final or better at RG.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13 PM »

Looking forward to it - he's had a full year working with Lendl, who was an astute clay courter.

Hoping for a semi-final or better at RG.
A semi-final at Roland Garros would cover ALL of the points he earned over the season in 2012.

A good clay season could see Murray exceed 9000 points and really close in on the magic 10,000 mark, which he's never really been close to before. Not beyond the realms of posssibility (just reaching the SFs of all four tournaments would see him gain 1080 ranking points) but given his previous record, and how far ahead Nadal and Djokovic are on this surface (not to mention Federer, Ferrer, Berdych and Del Potro all probably have Murray's number as well... not to mention the likes of Gasquet and Raonic who beat him last year), it would be quite an achievement if he did this, or went better.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:43 PM »

No 500 events during this part of the season either. Will he play any?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:03 PM »

No 500 events during this part of the season either. Will he play any?
Barcelona is a 500.

In terms of his 500s, he'll probably only play Monte Carlo and Tokyo. The top four rarely meet the criteria. Djokovic usually only plays one or two a year (Dubai, sometimes Basel) and one 250 (Belgrade - which has been cancelled this year).
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:05 PM »

Barcelona is a 500.

In terms of his 500s, he'll probably only play Monte Carlo and Tokyo. The top four rarely meet the criteria. Djokovic usually only plays one or two a year (Dubai, sometimes Basel) and one 250 (Belgrade - which has been cancelled this year).
Barcelona is a 500.

I meant to say he's not playing a 500 in this part of the season either, sorry for the confusion.

I thought Monte Carlo was a Masters?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10 PM »

It is a masters but apparently it only has 500 points as it's not mandatory - confusing I know  confused
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12 PM »

As I wanted to treat myself facing a jubilee, I thought of tickets for tennis. London (Queens, Wimbledon and WTF) are unaffordable for me. Besides, with the WTF you never know what day nor what session to book.  So there are not too many options left on the European continent, are there. Now I have tickets for the QF day in Rome. I hope Andy can really make it to the quarters in that tournament. Beyond that I want him to do well in all the other clay court events. As well as Ferrer is not only a clay courter exclusively any longer, Andy can also show some improvement on his worst surface.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18 PM »

So just under a fortnight to go to the clay court season.  Although Andy used to say that it's his favourite surface, it's clearly the one he is least successful on.    I think this is because the way he moves doesn't work so well on clay as on hard/grass courts but there may be other reasons too that those more expert than I can advise on.  The good news is that Andy doesn't have that many points to defend, as last year's clay court season was rather disappointing, partly because of injury.  So all being well he won't relinquish the number 2 ranking to smugfed.  The joker in the pack will not be the Joker (who of course is aiming to win RG for first time) but Rafa who won't be a top seed.
Anyway I don't have anything very profound to say but thought we could start discussing the season now during the next couple of weeks.  And I've added a poll.
U beat me to it- great minds thinkalike. Was just thinking last night that I'd start a clay court thread. Love how th sight of the red dirt makes me feel summer (such as we get lol) is around the corner!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 02:59 PM »

It is a masters but apparently it only has 500 points as it's not mandatory - confusing I know  confused

The winner at Monte Carlo receives 1000 ranking points. It is not one of the 8 mandatory Masters 1000 Series events. You will not be penalised for not playing! If a player does take part in this event it will be counted as one of the six 500/250 tournaments’ they must play during the season.

Here is an excerpt from the rules:
The year-end Emirates ATP Rankings is based on calculating,
for each player, his total points from the four (4) Grand Slams, the eight (8)
mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments and the Barclays ATP World
Tour Finals of the ranking period, and his best six (6) results from all ATP World Tour
500, ATP World Tour 250, ATP Challenger Tour and Futures tournaments.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 03:28 PM »

The winner at Monte Carlo receives 1000 ranking points. It is not one of the 8 mandatory Masters 1000 Series events. You will not be penalised for not playing! If a player does take part in this event it will be counted as one of the six 500/250 tournaments’ they must play during the season.

Here is an excerpt from the rules:
The year-end Emirates ATP Rankings is based on calculating,
for each player, his total points from the four (4) Grand Slams, the eight (8)
mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments and the Barclays ATP World
Tour Finals of the ranking period, and his best six (6) results from all ATP World Tour
500, ATP World Tour 250, ATP Challenger Tour and Futures tournaments.

oh thanks for clearing up dex -as you can see I really was  confused  Have a feeling I read it was only 500 on MW just recently - anyway that's my excuse for giving out wrong information  Whistle

Great minds think alike indeed WW - wouldn't mind some spring never mind thinking about summer  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28 PM »

I think this is the year for a good clay court season Smile
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »