Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 15392 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #120 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28 PM »

For the tournament to lose one of the best clay players? - can't agree with that... It doesn't really help Andy either, only that he'll have to face one of Rafa and now Berdych in the SFs (if Novak doesn't withdraw) or Berdych/Delpo if Novak doesn't play. All very tough on clay. Would be great if Andy could somehow reach the final though.
If Djoko pulls out it would mean Nadal is somehow 2nd seed, which is only a positive for Murray. That said, I don't think he'd get past Del Po or Berdych anyway, but they're certainly easier propositions than Nadal on this surface.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #121 on: April 11, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Was on Hard, and Murray beat Federer in the Semis (Federer was #2 at the time), so he couldn't have been top seed.

He's never been top seed of a Masters before. He's been the highest seed left in the draw on a few occasions, such as Shanghai 2011 or Miami this year, but never top seed.

Thanks  Mad Hatter.That's what I like about MW always someone to add to my knowledge So this is another first for Andy great!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #122 on: April 11, 2013, 05:06 PM »

If Djoko pulls out it would mean Nadal is somehow 2nd seed, which is only a positive for Murray. That said, I don't think he'd get past Del Po or Berdych anyway, but they're certainly easier propositions than Nadal on this surface.
Definitely - avoiding Rafa for as long as possible is always a good thing.  And I guess Delpo and Berdych are prone to early-round losses from time to time so with some luck Andy could avoid them (if he gets to the SFs himself). I would like to see Andy beat a good clay player this year though - a win against either Delpo or Berdych would be great for his confidence.

But I'm probably thinking too far ahead - hope he gets a good draw in the early rounds.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #123 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Monte Carlo isn't mandatory, is it? So I guess Nole can avoid it anyway, innit.
IP Logged
mina

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #124 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26 PM »

nice to hear ferrer that withdraw , he is good player on clay , hope andy reach the first final on clay in mc
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #125 on: April 11, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I'd like an encounter with Nadal but only at RG. No point meeting him before then. The H2H will get even more one sided and we don't need that.

Both Del Po and Berdych will be quite challenging for Andy, but I think Andy will be able to take it another level this time around.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #126 on: April 11, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Monte Carlo isn't mandatory, is it? So I guess Nole can avoid it anyway, innit.
Wouldn't matter anyway, there's nothing stopping a player from withdrawing with injury, like Andy at Madrid last year.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #127 on: April 11, 2013, 07:03 PM »

I wonder if Ferrer is really injured, or if he's just realised he over-did it in the early part of the season and needs a break, or he'll suffer against his better rested peers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic has similar thoughts when trying to decide if his ankle is OK enough for MC.  If he has any doubts about his ankle, it would make sense to withdraw.  He's had a relatively busy year this year compared with Andy, Rafa and Roger.  He does seem to be able to cope with changes to time zones and surfaces fairly easily, but why tempt fate unless you need to.  He's comfortably ahead in the rankings, and I imagine his main goal for this year is RG, so he should focus on that.

Obviously, if he withdraws, it's not bad for Andy.  Not that they'd be meeting before a final, but if Nadal is #2, it would give Andy a much better chance of making the final.  I would fully expect Nadal to be put in the opposite half to Djokovic if both are in the draw.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #128 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Ferrer is most likely suffering from exhaustions. He had a very long year last year and this year, he’s played way too many tournaments already, so he definitely needs rest.

Nole, I believe just wants to prepare for the clay season and he’s probably very eager to win RG. I don’t think his injuries are all that serious. He wouldn’t have continued to play had it been that serious in that match. This is probably just a pre-caution measurement to avoid any serious injuries before RG.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #129 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Ferrer is most likely suffering from exhaustions. He had a very long year last year and this year, he’s played way too many tournaments already, so he definitely needs rest.

Nole, I believe just wants to prepare for the clay season and he’s probably very eager to win RG. I don’t think his injuries are all that serious. He wouldn’t have continued to play had it been that serious in that match. This is probably just a pre-caution measurement to avoid any serious injuries before RG.

He didn't know how serious it was in the match - they gave him some painkillers which got him through the match.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #130 on: April 11, 2013, 11:26 PM »

Apparantly Andy has only ever beaten 1 top ten player on clay, i find that astonishing.

Anyway enough with the scared talk about Rafa, i hope he gets to play him hopefully in the final, i love Andy Vs Rafa matches, and it will be priceless experience for Roland Garros, so i say bring it!

Edit**
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #131 on: April 11, 2013, 11:32 PM »

I wonder if Ferrer is really injured, or if he's just realised he over-did it in the early part of the season and needs a break, or he'll suffer against his better rested peers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic has similar thoughts when trying to decide if his ankle is OK enough for MC.  If he has any doubts about his ankle, it would make sense to withdraw.  He's had a relatively busy year this year compared with Andy, Rafa and Roger.  He does seem to be able to cope with changes to time zones and surfaces fairly easily, but why tempt fate unless you need to.  He's comfortably ahead in the rankings, and I imagine his main goal for this year is RG, so he should focus on that.

Obviously, if he withdraws, it's not bad for Andy.  Not that they'd be meeting before a final, but if Nadal is #2, it would give Andy a much better chance of making the final.  I would fully expect Nadal to be put in the opposite half to Djokovic if both are in the draw.
  As ever, a thoughtful and interesting post. I await developments over next couple of days with interest
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #132 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47 AM »

Apparantly Andy has only ever beaten 1 top ten player on clay, i find that astonishing.

Anyway enough with the scared talk about Rafa, i hope he gets to play him hopefully in the final, i love Andy Vs Rafa matches, and it will be priceless experience for Roland Garros, so i say bring it!

Edit**
How many has he played though?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #133 on: April 12, 2013, 03:37 AM »

Good grief there is no way i am going to trawl the internet trying to find out those kind of stats Smile but what i will mention is that his overall career record on clay is 47-30 so out of those 30 losses there must be at least 10 matches against top 10 player, Rafa a few times, Ferrer a few also, Djoker and Berdych spring to mind, the only match he ever won was against Davydenko.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #134 on: April 12, 2013, 06:55 AM »

Overall Win/Loss: 398-125 (76.1%)
On Clay: 47-30 (61%)

Versus Top 10: 64-50 (56.1%)
On Clay: 1-10 (9.09%)

Hamburg 2006           R32 James Blake (USA)               Ranking: 7        L 3-6, 3-6
MC 2008                R16 Novak Djokovic (SRB)            Ranking: 3        L 0-6, 4-6
Hamburg 2008           R16 Rafael Nadal (ESP)              Ranking: 2        L 3-6, 2-6
MC 2009                Q   Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)         Ranking: 9        W 7-6(1), 6-4
                       S   Rafael Nadal (ESP)              Ranking: 1        L 2-6, 6-7(4)
Madrid 2009            Q   Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)     Ranking: 5        L 6-7(4), 3-6
MC 2011                S   Rafael Nadal (ESP)              Ranking: 1        L 4-6, 6-2, 1-6
Rome 2011              S   Novak Djokovic (SRB)            Ranking: 2        L 1-6, 6-3, 6-7(2)
RG 2011                S   Rafael Nadal (ESP)              Ranking: 1        L 4-6, 5-7, 4-6
MC 2012                Q   Tomas Berdych (CZE)             Ranking: 7        L 7-6(4), 2-6, 3-6
RG 2012                Q   David Ferrer (ESP)              Ranking: 6        L 4-6, 7-6(3), 3-6, 2-6
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »