Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 17337 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #285 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54 PM »

I think he will do it. I think hill find his clay legs at some point. I just have a feeling.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #286 on: April 22, 2013, 05:27 PM »

hi , im mina , it is  my 2nd id here , good luck andy

This name is better but sorry that you had to change it because of me. Very sorry!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #287 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Am I the only one who still thinks Andy is gonna win the French this year!? I said he was a while ago, I better stick by it.

And if Andy does go on to win RG, I suppose we will never hear the end of it, isn't it? But hey, that would be sweet torture so I'll take it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #288 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54 PM »

Andy trying to win the French open is similar to Lendl trying to win Wimbledon, wether he can go one further than his mentor remains to be seen, but i know that they will do all they can to see if it's a possibility and who knows, with hard work and maybe a bit of sacrifice anything is possible.

Andy winning at RG would be an upset, but only due to his previous form on clay and in sport upsets happen all the time so saying he will never win is not set in stone.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #289 on: April 22, 2013, 07:05 PM »

The way i see it , Andy has the tools to be very good on clay. He's not utterly uncomfortable on clay like Sampras or Roddick were. He just needs a bit more time. I would not be suprised if he does something in madrid.

A little pattern i have noticed with Andy..
Lose first match at Queens --makes W final
Lose first match at Cincinnati wins USO
Lose early IW wins Miami

He rarely peforms badly at 2 tournaments in a row.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #290 on: April 22, 2013, 07:55 PM »

The way i see it , Andy has the tools to be very good on clay. He's not utterly uncomfortable on clay like Sampras or Roddick were. He just needs a bit more time. I would not be suprised if he does something in madrid.

Lose early IW wins Miami

I think he'll do better in Madrid too. All depends on the draw though - that's the problem with Masters series, there's always the danger of him drawing someone like Wawrinka or Almagro in R3, which on clay is a tough ask. The conditions in Madrid seem to suit Federer, and I think they should suit Andy too - a bit quicker so his shots should get through the court better.

But however he does in these Masters, I still think he'll put together a good run in RG to at least the quarters. It's a lot easier to beat Andy over 3 sets than it is 5.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #291 on: April 22, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Lose early IW wins Miami

The annoying thing for me about the Wawrinka match is that against R-V Andy looked, for probably the first time I can remember, totally at home on this surface, yet something clearly went very wrong very quickly against Wawa.  However, my feeling is that, if he can look comfortable on it once, then he's going to do again, and that very soon.

Now he's getting excellent practice against other top players who are still around in MC (he played against Dolgopolov as well yesterday).  I still think though that it could take until Rome before he finally gets totally to grips with the surface, but that's going to depend on how much match practice he gets in Madrid, so hopefully a reasonably kind draw awaits.

Btw - lest we forget about him ... Federer practising on clay in Switzerland with his coach Paul Annacone.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #292 on: April 22, 2013, 08:43 PM »

If Andy can tap into his 2011 clay season we could see some progress, i still remember the semi final in Rome with Novak when he lost the first set 6-1 but he then won the 2nd set and was 5-4 and serving for the match, he was 30-30 and narrowly missed a bhdl which would have given him match point and this was when Nole was in terminator form and had not lost a match yet that year.

I think if Andy had played that match now he would have the mental fortitude to win it.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #293 on: April 22, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Andy Murray belts away his disappointment on the practice court

Response to losing the No2 spot is to hit as many balls as humanly possible before the French Open

After the ochre had been swept and the champagne glasses collected, the Monte Carlo country club echoed to the strains of Andy Murray belting his disappointment to shreds on the practice court.

He will stay until Friday, return to London for a few days rest then get back on the treadmill of the ATP Tour, with memories of defeat by Stanislas Wawrinka in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters fading with each muscular forehand.

He is not too upset about giving up his world No2 ranking, more concerned about finding his feet on this trickiest of surfaces. The transition from hard court to clay to grass in the space of a few months is one of the enduring challenges of the game, and handling it is a science.

Overseeing the rehab of Murray's game is Ivan Lendl, who mastered clay in his playing days, while never fully coming to terms with grass. He wants Murray to hit as many balls as humanly possible, in practice and in competition in Madrid and Rome, to reach a perfect pitch at Roland Garros at the end of May. "I am just looking for volume," he said. "I think Andy understands that as well. He needs to play sets, he needs to spend time on clay. Two days ago [practising with Tomas Berdych] he was sliding and losing balance a bit, today he was better.

"It was different ball coming back from Berdych than from Dani [Vallverdu, Murray's long-time hitting partner] and me, but he looks more comfortable moving around – and that means he will hit better shots as well. If you feel like you're not moving well, you have to go for shots you wouldn't go for normally, so you can be more patient."

That was painfully evident against Wawrinka, as Murray's game slowly lost shape – although he did not have a total meltdown, as here three years ago against Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Nevertheless, he knows he was a level or two removed from Novak Djokovic, who said the first eight games of his final against Rafael Nadal were among the best he had played on clay.

Nadal's first defeat here in eight years shocked many but not Djokovic. If he stays in the mood, he will be hell to play in Paris. Murray, meanwhile, has to get his own game in shape and Lendl sees reasons to be upbeat. And, he stressed, it's far from a gloomy scene.

"Time will make him better and then he will see it and then he will believe," he said. "It's just repetition and amount. It doesn't have to be boring. We had fun today. I try to make practices fun all the time, whether the joke is on Dani or Andy or me, I don't really care as long as we can have a chuckle." Yet he knows Murray can be unnecessarily hard on him when the ball is not leaving his racket cleanly, as against Wawrinka.

"I haven't spoken to him about it," Lendl said. "I think he knows. We don't need to discuss it. I think it comes from him expecting so much. You saw it even today, he is playing for a minute and a half and he misses a shot and he gets mad at himself because he doesn't want to miss – ever. And I think what happens on the court, since he hasn't had enough time, he hits some shots then he misses some shots and plays a bad game and he gets really disappointed with himself. Then he has trouble overcoming that."

Lendl has a clear take on Murray world ranking and who will figure in the slam finals this year. "It is hard to see anybody but the top four boys," he said, "even though it could be a little different with Rafa being [seeded] fifth. That could really skew the draws. It could be that Andy ends up in the bottom half by himself, if he is seeded No2. It could be Novak playing Rafa in the quarters to play Roger in the semis and somebody beats Andy. If Rafa is seeded fifth, it could be No3 [against] No2, and all of a sudden they beat up on each other."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/22/andy-murray-monte-carlo-french-open
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #294 on: April 22, 2013, 09:13 PM »

Andy needs to stop practicing and get on a court. Barcelona would have been good for him.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #295 on: April 22, 2013, 09:33 PM »

Cheers for the article dani...was a good read. I'm starting to feel really upbeat about the clay court season now, i think Wawa's butt-kicking has really spurred him on.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #296 on: April 23, 2013, 12:57 AM »

Andy needs to stop practicing and get on a court. Barcelona would have been good for him.
So you still think you know more about what's right for him than Lendl?  I admit I also felt he should perhaps have played Barcelona, but having reading that article (for which thanks, dani) and other snippets of information over the past few days, I feel very encouraged by what Andy's doing.  Also he does need a few day's break before going to Madrid, and he wouldn't have got that if he'd gone to Barcelona.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #297 on: April 23, 2013, 03:24 AM »

Maybe Andy should try moonballing.  Think
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #298 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32 AM »

Very interesting from Lendl. Thanx for posting Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #299 on: April 23, 2013, 09:26 AM »

I agree with that.

So you still think you know more about what's right for him than Lendl?  I admit I also felt he should perhaps have played Barcelona, but having reading that article (for which thanks, dani) and other snippets of information over the past few days, I feel very encouraged by what Andy's doing.  Also he does need a few day's break before going to Madrid, and he wouldn't have got that if he'd gone to Barcelona.

After reading this, I agree with this. Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »