Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 16697 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #300 on: April 23, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Thanks for the article Dani - it sounds like Lendl has a good idea of how to make the move to clay work for Andy.

Maybe Andy should try moonballing.  Think

Hope not! If there's one strategy I really hate, it's moonballing. There's a lot of it in the WTA, especially when the clay season comes round, and it just destroys the quality of the tennis by players having to wait for these high shots to come back down again. Even worse when there are moonball-to-moonball rallies going on!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #301 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Andy Murray belts away his disappointment on the practice court

Thanks for this Dani, it's great.

In a nutshell this is why I think Lendl is so good for Andy. There's just no panic about the man, no need to worry, and definitely no blame. There's just a sense of getting back down to work, doing something specific, to achieve a specific result. It just sends out a signal that between them both they've got it under control, which I like.

Lendl must just be brilliant to work with. I think his belief, his confidence, is rubbing off on Andy big time, and for my money it's only a matter of time before it does on the clay. Wawrinka was a setback, nothing more than that.

I think people can argue all they like about Andy's schedule. Personally I think they've come up with a schedule for the year and they are right to stick to it whenever possible. I think rushing to play in Barcelona would send a signal to the others that Andy is worried and he has no reason to do that. Andy knows what he is doing and so does Lendl.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #302 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06 PM »

So you still think you know more about what's right for him than Lendl?  I admit I also felt he should perhaps have played Barcelona, but having reading that article (for which thanks, dani) and other snippets of information over the past few days, I feel very encouraged by what Andy's doing.  Also he does need a few day's break before going to Madrid, and he wouldn't have got that if he'd gone to Barcelona.
Well said Aileen. Why do some people think they know better than Lendl and Andy both of whom are the experts.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #303 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55 PM »

Yes I cannot understand why some people get into a panic if Andy loses in early rounds. It happens to the best and he just picks himself up and gets on with it. Lendl has been a good influence on him and he is a lot more composed and taking one step at a time.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #304 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06 PM »

Thanks Dani, great article. I especially liked confirmation that Lendl really isn't the scary monster who will give Andy a good telling off after a bad match that some people seem to think he is.

"Time will make him better and then he will see it and then he will believe," he said. "It's just repetition and amount. It doesn't have to be boring. We had fun today. I try to make practices fun all the time, whether the joke is on Dani or Andy or me, I don't really care as long as we can have a chuckle." Yet he knows Murray can be unnecessarily hard on him when the ball is not leaving his racket cleanly, as against Wawrinka.

"I haven't spoken to him about it," Lendl said. "I think he knows. We don't need to discuss it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #305 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Lining up the bottles may help too. Oh and start some sort of ritual before serving. And wear a shirt that says 'Just do it".
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #306 on: April 23, 2013, 05:31 PM »

So you still think you know more about what's right for him than Lendl?  I admit I also felt he should perhaps have played Barcelona, but having reading that article (for which thanks, dani) and other snippets of information over the past few days, I feel very encouraged by what Andy's doing.  Also he does need a few day's break before going to Madrid, and he wouldn't have got that if he'd gone to Barcelona.

But it's not Ivan that wants Andy to practice for stints between tournaments, it's Andy himself who wants to do that and it's damaging his performances in tournaments to an extent. He's really not match fit and it's obvious. Practice won't heal that Aileen, only matchplay will.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #307 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Yes, he will moonball his way to victory. Perhaps slapping the ball will also help instead of swinging.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #308 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37 PM »

The tournaments I believe Andy will take seriously from this point on:

Madrid, RG, Queens, Wimbledon, Montreal, USO, Shanghai, Tokyo and WTF.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #309 on: April 23, 2013, 07:41 PM »

But it's not Ivan that wants Andy to practice for stints between tournaments, it's Andy himself who wants to do that and it's damaging his performances in tournaments to an extent. He's really not match fit and it's obvious. Practice won't heal that Aileen, only matchplay will.
Gangsta - how do you, me, or anyone else for the matter, know what Andy wants, nor what he and Lendl have been cooking up together, given that they don't exactly broadcast the fact?  He didn't play for seven weeks before IW (which some people thought was a bit unwise) and, although he only manged to get to the quarters there, he did go on to win Miami. 

Although again we'll never know, there's still a possibility that he might have asked for a wildcard to Barcelona had it not been for the fact that he he'd arranged to travel back to London for a few days on Friday - something which is perfectly understandable after being away for so long, and also he may have specific reasons for doing so.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #310 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52 PM »

So you know what Andy wants! Thank God Lendl and Andy know what they are doing, and I believe they know more about Tennis and the best way for Andy to prepare than you will ever know.  doh
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #311 on: April 23, 2013, 07:57 PM »

Gangsta - how do you, me, or anyone else for the matter, know what Andy wants, nor what he and Lendl have been cooking up together, given that they don't exactly broadcast the fact?  He didn't play for seven weeks before IW (which some people thought was a bit unwise) and, although he only manged to get to the quarters there, he did go on to win Miami. 

Although again we'll never know, there's still a possibility that he might have asked for a wildcard to Barcelona had it not been for the fact that he he'd arranged to travel back to London for a few days on Friday - something which is perfectly understandable after being away for so long, and also he may have specific reasons for doing so.

Hang on here, I recommended that maybe Andy should play more matches because he is obviously not match fit and flat out practicing is not going to win him tournaments. In IW he was really not confident and it showed, it really did.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #312 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18 PM »

Do you really believe though that you have some sort of insight that makes you more likely you know what's better for Andy than his professional team of players and coaches that know him better than anyone?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #313 on: April 23, 2013, 08:19 PM »

Hang on here, I recommended that maybe Andy should play more matches because he is obviously not match fit and flat out practicing is not going to win him tournaments. In IW he was really not confident and it showed, it really did.
I know that nothing quite takes the place of match practice, but as far as I can make out Lendl has been pitting him against Berdych, Dolgopolov and goodness knows who else, simulating match conditions as far as possible, so I'm quite happy with that.  I've got a feeling that he won't be as match-rusty in Madrid as he was in IW.  Also you have to remember it takes Andy a while to really comes to terms with clay, so I don't expect him to peak before RG.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #314 on: April 23, 2013, 08:20 PM »

Do you really believe though that you have some sort of insight that makes you more likely you know what's better for Andy than his professional team of players and coaches that know him better than anyone?

No I really don't but it's clear that matchplay is going to help him more than going into say Slams cold.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »