Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 17920 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #345 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Unfortunately we tend to assume that places like Barcelona will have good weather all the time.  If it rains that much then goodness knows when the tournament will get finished.  As it is some players will have to play two matches tomorrow, if play is possible.  Meanwhile I think Andy said he was travelling to London tomorrow.
Well as it turned out their weather forecasts are just as much rubbish as our own too!  Full day's play today and they are up to date though last QF still being played.  But it certainly didn't look hot and sunny most of the time.   They said Andy is 3rd favourite for RG, which seems surprising.  Good that the bookies have more faith in Andy's clay court season than some of his fans  Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #346 on: April 26, 2013, 07:20 PM »

We had hail stones in Glenrothes today. It's meant to be spring.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #347 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50 PM »

My thoughts exactly lol.

Mine too teejay. Only just read the article. Consider myself told off.   
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #348 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Mine too teejay. Only just read the article. Consider myself told off.   

I shouldn't worry Tessie, it's virtually the same as the one in one of the papers the other day, the Guardian I think.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #349 on: April 26, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Well as it turned out their weather forecasts are just as much rubbish as our own too!  Full day's play today and they are up to date though last QF still being played.  But it certainly didn't look hot and sunny most of the time.   They said Andy is 3rd favourite for RG, which seems surprising.  Good that the bookies have more faith in Andy's clay court season than some of his fans  Whistle

Presumably third favourite behind Nadal and Djokovic? I bet Fed would love that lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #350 on: April 27, 2013, 01:44 AM »

It crossed my mind that Andy might be getting his OBE, but the Royals don't do rush jobs, so it's more likely that a date has been set around Queens/Wimbledon time.
The average number of investitures held each year is 25, with approximately 120 people attending each one, but as I understand that the whole thing with all its pomp and ceremony lasts about three hours, that rules out Queens and whilst Wimbledon is in progress, so it would seem that if there isn't an investiture now, then hopefully there might be one being held between Queens and Wimbledon, or after Wimbledon is over, although with so many sportsmen and women being honoured this year I don't think that Andy will be the only problematic one.

I did say in a later post that the forecast for Friday was cloudy and cool, so it looks as though they did get it right, but if the prediction of rain today is correct, then I can see the semis being played on the same day as the final, which fortunately is expected to be dry.

I'm waiting to see how Andy performs in Madrid and Rome before reaching any conclusions about how he might fare at RG.  Also bookies' odds can change.

We had hail stones in Glenrothes today. It's meant to be spring.
I despair of spring ever arriving because it's so cold and dull.  I'm fed up looking out my window at lots of bare trees.  They should be in leaf by now with blossoms coming out as well. Frown
[ Last edit by Aileen April 27, 2013, 01:48 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #351 on: April 27, 2013, 08:18 AM »

Good that the bookies have more faith in Andy's clay court season than some of his fans  Whistle

I would be extremely pleased if Andy got to the semis....but if anyone on MW thinks he's gonna win, they clearly haven't been paying attention.  Whistle
Isn't Barcelona the closest to RG regarding conditions on court anyway?
Please let's not have any unrealistic expectations.....
If Andy should get to the final of Madrid or Rome (is that the other one?) I will be more than happy to revise my opinion Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #352 on: April 27, 2013, 09:22 AM »

No I don't think Andy's gonna win RG bbh and like you would be v pleased if he got to the semis but it's nevertheless pleasing that pundits haven't written off his clay court season on basis of one lacklustre performance.
TJ yes smugfed is 4th.
Aileen: I know a lot of clay to be pounded before final odds but hopefully Andy can only do better not worse in the intervening tournaments.   Whistle   Like you am utterly fed up with the cold weather.  I wasn't able to take advantage of the few days of spring and now feels like we've gone back a month.

[ Last edit by Ruthie April 27, 2013, 01:39 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #353 on: April 27, 2013, 12:25 PM »

What I really like about Andy is how he's very willing to try to improve on clay. He doesn't just discount it because he doesn't feel comfortable on the surface, but is always trying to improve and understand more about how to play well.

I don't see him winning RG, but I think he will get better and better as the clay season goes on. I'd like a rematch with Novak actually - their Rome match was fantastic; Andy was so close there.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #354 on: April 27, 2013, 01:27 PM »

I'm glad I wasn't eating just now. I would have choked on my lunch. Cowan has come out with one of his pearls of 'wisdom'. In talking to Marcus, who is having one of his 'excuse me whilst I crawl up my own arse' weeks, about the likely winners of RG, he came out with this 'Murray can be beaten by anyone on clay'. 

Now sure, I know Andy wants to get better on the clay, and he'll need to, but what the bloody hell is the point if he's going to be written off? With the sort of attitude Cowan has got Andy might as well just not play the clay court season at all. Tell you what, it's no wonder British tennis is in a mess when one of the top players in the world is dismissed like that.

I'm not suggesting Andy will win the French, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a really good RG. I remember 2011 so well, when Andy's form was all over the place after the AO. I remember telling friends that he probably wouldn't get much joy out of things until the grass. Andy went on to play what has to be his best clay court season ever, and when Andy is on form now he's a better player than he was then. He's also been in good form this year, and one bad match at MC doesn't change that.

As for Marcus, I think he's a tad peeved that Fed is fourth favourite for RG with the bookies. Maybe he needs to learn that they go by form and Andy has been in better form than Federer this year. Marcus seems to think Almagro has a chance of winning RG. Yes, of course, if Djokovic, Nadal, Andy, Federer, Ferrer, Delpo and maybe even Berdych decide they aren't playing. Seriously, some of us (not me I hasten to add) could do Marcus's job, especially when he's being a pillock.

You know Katie, I think you're right about a potential match up with Djokovic at RG. It would be good. That match in Rome was great. I screamed myself silly watching it! I couldn't scream like that just now though. I've got the dreaded laryngitis again. Two weeks and counting. I hope the voice is back by the time RG comes around.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #355 on: April 27, 2013, 01:39 PM »

to be fair to Cowan tj (though why should I be?  Rolling Eyes) he was much more positive about Andy earlier and was saying he was sure he'd do better as clay court season progresses.  Actually apart from that throwaway remark he's much more positive about Andy these days and was quick not to write him off after his MC loss. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #356 on: April 27, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I'm glad I wasn't eating just now. I would have choked on my lunch. Cowan has come out with one of his pearls of 'wisdom'. In talking to Marcus, who is having one of his 'excuse me whilst I crawl up my own arse' weeks, about the likely winners of RG, he came out with this 'Murray can be beaten by anyone on clay'. 

Now sure, I know Andy wants to get better on the clay, and he'll need to, but what the bloody hell is the point if he's going to be written off? With the sort of attitude Cowan has got Andy might as well just not play the clay court season at all. Tell you what, it's no wonder British tennis is in a mess when one of the top players in the world is dismissed like that.

I'm not suggesting Andy will win the French, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a really good RG. I remember 2011 so well, when Andy's form was all over the place after the AO. I remember telling friends that he probably wouldn't get much joy out of things until the grass. Andy went on to play what has to be his best clay court season ever, and when Andy is on form now he's a better player than he was then. He's also been in good form this year, and one bad match at MC doesn't change that.

As for Marcus, I think he's a tad peeved that Fed is fourth favourite for RG with the bookies. Maybe he needs to learn that they go by form and Andy has been in better form than Federer this year. Marcus seems to think Almagro has a chance of winning RG. Yes, of course, if Djokovic, Nadal, Andy, Federer, Ferrer, Delpo and maybe even Berdych decide they aren't playing. Seriously, some of us (not me I hasten to add) could do Marcus's job, especially when he's being a pillock.

You know Katie, I think you're right about a potential match up with Djokovic at RG. It would be good. That match in Rome was great. I screamed myself silly watching it! I couldn't scream like that just now though. I've got the dreaded laryngitis again. Two weeks and counting. I hope the voice is back by the time RG comes around.

Almagro has a chance of winning RG even with all those guys you mentioned are there. Clay is his best surface and if he wasn't such a mental midget he'd surely have had more success on it. I hate to say it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nicolas beat Andy on clay.

IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #357 on: April 27, 2013, 03:50 PM »

It seems to me whenever Andy loses a match he is written off. You never write off Federer, Djokovic and Nadal but you write off Andy. I'm sorry how can you write off someone consistently in top 5 of the world for years now after one match lost.  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #358 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37 PM »

@Prodigy
Amalgro is a fine player technically, but as u say a complete flake mentally. I think all the Spanish players have lived under Rafa's shadow to their detriment. Verdasco is the only one who seemed to be up for a genuine fight with him at one time. But now looks like a spent force. No, would not be surprised if Amalgo beat Andy on clay, especially if they met early in a tournament.
@rob92
Nobody's writing Andy off after one loss. Just managing expectations. I would expect him to get to the quarters at RG, providing he has a chance to play himself in, and would be highly delighted if he got to the semis. But he'd have to get through the Spanish Armada first.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #359 on: April 27, 2013, 05:03 PM »

I don't know why any of you guys pay any attention to what that guy Cowan says. I had never heard of him. Who is he?.... he sounds like a Millwall supporter who got a gig as a tennis pundit in the UK. Is the UK that starved of tennis analysts?

As for who will win RG....my bet would be in this order Djokovic, Nadal, Andy & Fed. The others?... neah a semi spot at best.
[ Last edit by ABF April 27, 2013, 05:12 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »