Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's 2013 clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Will Andy win any clay court titles?
He wins them all - 3 (6.7%)
He wins at least one - 32 (71.1%)
He wins none - 10 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 31 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's 2013 clay court season

(Read 14788 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #360 on: April 27, 2013, 06:26 PM »

No I don't think Andy's gonna win RG bbh and like you would be v pleased if he got to the semis but it's nevertheless pleasing that pundits haven't written off his clay court season on basis of one lacklustre performance.
TJ yes smugfed is 4th.
Aileen: I know a lot of clay to be pounded before final odds but hopefully Andy can only do better not worse in the intervening tournaments.   Whistle   Like you am utterly fed up with the cold weather.  I wasn't able to take advantage of the few days of spring and now feels like we've gone back a month.
You actually got a few days of spring? I think we managed one or maybe two.  A few more trees showing a bit of leafy fuzz today, which would be fairly normal if it was the end of March!

Andy probably will do better as this season progresses but I still don't have great expectations for Madrid.  Maybe it's better that way then we can enjoy a surprise if he does well.

What I really like about Andy is how he's very willing to try to improve on clay. He doesn't just discount it because he doesn't feel comfortable on the surface, but is always trying to improve and understand more about how to play well.

I don't see him winning RG, but I think he will get better and better as the clay season goes on. I'd like a rematch with Novak actually - their Rome match was fantastic; Andy was so close there.
I agree Katie.  Andy isn't a quitter, and with Lendl's help hopefully he will become a much better player on clay.

As for that Rome match, it was great but Andy could have ended Djoko's winning run had he not served two DFs while trying to serve it out in the decider.  It was agony to watch and Andy was kicking himself afterwards.   

Highlights pf Rome 2011 for anyone who needs to be reminded that Andy can play well on clay -

[ Last edit by Aileen April 27, 2013, 06:38 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #361 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31 PM »

to be fair to Cowan tj (though why should I be?  Rolling Eyes) he was much more positive about Andy earlier and was saying he was sure he'd do better as clay court season progresses.  Actually apart from that throwaway remark he's much more positive about Andy these days and was quick not to write him off after his MC loss. 

To be honest I think it annoyed me so much because it was a throwaway remark. Cowan has been positive of late, I've remarked on it myself, and it's made a nice change, so I was just infuriated that he then goes and makes an ill thought comment that the tabloids and such could jump all over.

To be fair about Almagro, he is a fine clay courter, and could cause trouble, but winning a major? Nah! He'd have to go through what, three of the top players at least to do it? I just don't see that because he just doesn't have it mentally. I have to say as well, and it is famous last words, I don't see Ferrer doing as well as last year either.

I think RG will be interesting for Andy. From that point of view I'm looking forward to it. I still think he had a bad day in MC and he'll be fine for the rest of the season.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #362 on: April 28, 2013, 02:17 PM »

As for Marcus, I think he's a tad peeved that Fed is fourth favourite for RG with the bookies. Maybe he needs to learn that they go by form and Andy has been in better form than Federer this year. Marcus seems to think Almagro has a chance of winning RG. Yes, of course, if Djokovic, Nadal, Andy, Federer, Ferrer, Delpo and maybe even Berdych decide they aren't playing. Seriously, some of us (not me I hasten to add) could do Marcus's job, especially when he's being a pillock.

You know Katie, I think you're right about a potential match up with Djokovic at RG. It would be good. That match in Rome was great. I screamed myself silly watching it! I couldn't scream like that just now though. I've got the dreaded laryngitis again. Two weeks and counting. I hope the voice is back by the time RG comes around.

Marcus was just joking about Almagro winning RG, teejay. There's a long-running joke between him and Barry Cowan about Almagro supposedly being Barry's favourite player, so he likes to tease him about that. Almagro is a great player, especially on clay, but as others have said mentally he's not strong enough. He's lost many matches from a winning position. He did beat Andy at RG 2008 though, so he's definitely a dangerous player to have to face. Plus in Rome and Madrid, he's a potential R3 matchup - another player I'd rather Andy avoid!

The Rome match was brilliant - a very tough match for Andy to lose, but it showed how far he'd come on clay that year. Sorry to hear about your laryngitis - hope you feel better soon. Smile

As for that Rome match, it was great but Andy could have ended Djoko's winning run had he not served two DFs while trying to serve it out in the decider.  It was agony to watch and Andy was kicking himself afterwards.   

Thanks for the highlights Aileen. I remember Andy serving for the match but had forgotten about the DFs - never a good way to lose serve. Though I think if Andy was in the same position today, he'd be mentally stronger in the important moments.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #363 on: April 28, 2013, 03:54 PM »

I think it was a big mistake not playing this week in Barcelona for Andy, he could surely use the court time on the dirt, and it is not as if he is tired as he has barely played since Miami.  I'd like to think that after three weeks training he will be raring to go and in better form come Madrid but I doubt it.  Given he will get #2 back at Madrid whatever happens and likely keep it all the way through the summer I suppose he doesn't need to play, but just for confidence and game time it would have been useful.

Of course he could just be biding his time until the grass season.....which is what I am also more interested in to be honest!

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #364 on: April 28, 2013, 04:50 PM »

I think it was a big mistake not playing this week in Barcelona for Andy, he could surely use the court time on the dirt, and it is not as if he is tired as he has barely played since Miami.  I'd like to think that after three weeks training he will be raring to go and in better form come Madrid but I doubt it.  Given he will get #2 back at Madrid whatever happens and likely keep it all the way through the summer I suppose he doesn't need to play, but just for confidence and game time it would have been useful.

Of course he could just be biding his time until the grass season.....which is what I am also more interested in to be honest!

I'm sure you are saying what you think is best for Andy, however I think we should trust Lendl and Andy to know what they are doing and no matter what we may think we are not the experts, or do we know all the facts.
I'm quite happy to leave it to Andy and his team and just enjoy seeing Andy play in Madrid. I hope that he enjoys his short time home.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #365 on: April 28, 2013, 07:28 PM »

I'm sure you are saying what you think is best for Andy, however I think we should trust Lendl and Andy to know what they are doing and no matter what we may think we are not the experts, or do we know all the facts.
I'm quite happy to leave it to Andy and his team and just enjoy seeing Andy play in Madrid. I hope that he enjoys his short time home.
Well said Michelle.  Andy needs a short break at home given how long he's been away, and he won't get home again now until after RG.  I'm sure it'll do him more good than if he'd played in Barcelona, which was a disaster anyway from a weather point of view - cold and wet, conditions Andy is never happy with.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #366 on: April 28, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Can't wait to see Andy play again is it next Monday Madrid starts?
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #367 on: April 28, 2013, 07:44 PM »

I was just thinking about which opponents could be a threat to Andy on clay besides the obvious i came up with this...

Wawrinka
Almagro
Raonic
Fognini
Kohlschreiber
Simon
Monaco
Dimitrov
Seppi
Youzhny
Zeballlos
Belucci
Gulbis??
Rosol?????

Perhaps this is what Barry Cowan means teejay...as on a HC  from this list only Raonic or Wawa could trouble Andy (possibly an inspired Gulbis in a bo3).

Andy is suspectible in his 2R and 3R matches in clay masters for sure, however I think if he gets to Qfs he'll start to get comfortable and play better.

Draw is gonna be so improtant for Madrid and Rome as to how far Andy goes...would like him to get to play Rafa and or Novak before RG, and he at least needs to play a tsonga/berdy/delpo/ferrer before RG.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #368 on: April 28, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Can't wait to see Andy play again is it next Monday Madrid starts?
Saturday 3rd really, but first two days will be for qualifiers and perhaps some R1 matches, so if Andy gets a R1 bye, then won't expect to see him play before Tuesday.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #369 on: April 28, 2013, 08:27 PM »

Can't wait x
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #370 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Saturday 3rd really, but first two days will be for qualifiers and perhaps some R1 matches, so if Andy gets a R1 bye, then won't expect to see him play before Tuesday.
Friday is the 3rd......I only know cause its a special date for me.
[ Last edit by robbie April 28, 2013, 08:56 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #371 on: April 28, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Forgot which month I was in. doh  I blame the weather because it looks and feels like March!

Whatever the special date is, I hope it's a happy one. hug

[ Last edit by Aileen April 28, 2013, 09:16 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #372 on: April 28, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Spill....
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #373 on: April 28, 2013, 09:14 PM »

Spill....
No  lol...only two people will ever know....me and.......
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's 2013 clay court season « Reply #374 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18 PM »

No  lol...only two people will ever know....me and.......
Spill...
Robbie and the Queen.  He's celebrating his 100th birthday. Very Happy

Anyway as Friday's the 3rd, that means Andy could play as early as Monday.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 31 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »