Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's Back 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's Back

(Read 1955 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Andy's Back « on: May 31, 2012, 01:02 AM »

Just wondered if anyone else shared my worries on reported cortisone injections Andy is supposed to have taking for his back problem?. I have done a little bit of research with some sports physio's in my area on the negatives and positives of the treatment and it has led me to fears it may lead to a shortened season after this summer.

I don't doubt Andy will have weighed up all the options but is it really worth the risk long term for the FO with such a packed calender this year?

Please if anyone can alley my fears and give me some positive feedback it would be much appreciated. hug
IP Logged
Eddster
Satellite Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:17 AM »

Not sure if it's true, but even if he is, I should imagine as long as he doesnt do it too much (a la Agassi at the end of his career) it will be fine, and basically after the US Open the only tournament that would matter is the AO next year.

I think that's what we have seen from Andy this year, it's all about the slams especially with the olympics also.

I personally think he isnt going all out for the win in the other tournaments, so that he has all the mental energy required to perform at his best at the tail end of a slam..

Just my opinion of course.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:19 AM »

My advice is try not to worry about the things you can't control. hug

I've heard good and bad things about cortisone injections (worked in a physio for a while), and is like most things, not the same for one person as it is with another.  We will just have to wait and see what unfolds.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27 AM »

It just scares me the thought of being robbed of watching Andy in years to come because of an injury. As a young kid I watched a lot of Hewitt and he was my favorite player, now in the last few years I have often shed a little tear as I now watch him as a shadow of what he once was.

His victory against Milos in Australia this year will always stick in my mind though
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:35 AM »

I had 3 cortisone injections over a year long period so I could continue playing volleyball , and they worked great.
Ive had no lasting effects.

Hopefully its the same for Andy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:35 AM »

If it happens, we'll get through it. grouphug
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 01:37 AM »

He had cortisone injections in his elbow during the clay court season last year and it didn't stop him from reaching gs semi finals
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:46 AM »

If it happens, we'll get through it. grouphug

Super
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29 AM »

One of commentators at RG said that Simon's back is so bad he has difficulty carrying his own kit shocking
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Jonathan Overend on twitter has said that Andy has intimated that the problem has nothing to do with the previous back problem.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Where did he go? Smile
IP Logged
batz

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 04:54 PM »

From the horses mouth:

"I'm not doing myself any actual damage by playing with what I have. I have had all the best advice from some of the top surgeons and physios. I'm confident that I'm doing the right thing," he said.

"I'm going to try and carry on regardless, whether it's a bit sorer tomorrow or in two days' time, I'm going to carry on"
IP Logged
what
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29 PM »

Does anybody know what's the exact problem? Is it muscle related or....?
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:07 PM »

In 1985 i had two back operations, they said i could not play tennis or golf again. I am playing tennis and golf in competitions and I am fine. I do back excercise each day walk and keep fit . Andy will be fine. He is young. He will be having the best advice more than we would have.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:27 PM »

Does anybody know what's the exact problem? Is it muscle related or....?
Sounds like it was muscle related today ie in spasm but he's keeping quiet as to what the original problem was which, in my view, is his prerogative.
I know Andy used to do pilates so I hope he still does because it's really good for the back and keeping the core muscles strong.  Apparently Ivan used to travel with a chiropracter.  I see a McTimoney Chiropracter for my back and it has helped alot. 
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »