Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's Back 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy's Back  (Read 1473 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:21 PM »

Tweet from Neil Harman this afternoon:

AM says that spasm he felt today is not the same as back injury that's beset him for a while.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Murray has been troubled by an ongoing back problem that saw him pull out of the Masters Series event in Madrid earlier this month, but he insisted this was not the same injury.

"It's a completely different thing to what I had beforehand," he said. "If it was the same, then I would be really, really concerned about Wimbledon and obviously the Olympics.

"But so long as what I'm getting told by doctors and the physios is, if it is just a muscle spasm, then that's nothing to be overly concerned by.

"But they are, when they happen, very difficult to shake off, especially when it's early morning. It takes a bit of time for your body to warm up.

"But I'm not doing any permanent damage by finishing a match like I did today."
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 07:18 AM »

It's those early mornings again! Hope his next match is later.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 07:51 AM »

It's those early mornings again! Hope his next match is later.

I agree with this. Basically any time before 11am is the middle of the night to Andy. A mid-afternoon kick-off is ideal.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 08:42 AM »

It didn't help that it was cold out there so the muscles could have tensed up.  I heard one of the comms say that he'll no doubt ask for a late match on saturday to give his back maximum chance.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34 AM »

Andy Murray's back injury not serious - Ivan Ljubicic

Former world number three Ivan Ljubicic says Andy Murray's back injury could be "positive" for the Scot, as concentrating on dealing with pain takes away the pressure of winning the match.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18294295
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 03:50 AM »

Just wondered if anyone else shared my worries on reported cortisone injections Andy is supposed to have taking for his back problem?. I have done a little bit of research with some sports physio's in my area on the negatives and positives of the treatment and it has led me to fears it may lead to a shortened season after this summer.

I don't doubt Andy will have weighed up all the options but is it really worth the risk long term for the FO with such a packed calender this year?

Please if anyone can alley my fears and give me some positive feedback it would be much appreciated. hug
Just found this thread.  As far as I can see there's been nothing to substantiate this claim, which, incidentally, was reportedly denied by his team who said this was the first they knew anything about this.

Anyway I had a cortison injection once for tennis elbow and had absolutely no after effects, so even if Andy did have one I'm not in the least worried about it. 

A physio friend of mine speculated the original problem could be a slightly degenerative lumbar disc - something which sounds alarming but which is in fact very common and is also treatable.  People who play sports where twisting movement of the body is necessary, e.g. golfers, tennis players (serve), are particularly prone to it.  However, Andy's had the best advice available, and will be getting the best treatment available, so I really think we should all stop agonising about what the problem might or might not be.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05 AM »

Just found this thread.  As far as I can see there's been nothing to substantiate this claim, which, incidentally, was reportedly denied by his team who said this was the first they knew anything about this.

Anyway I had a cortison injection once for tennis elbow and had absolutely no after effects, so even if Andy did have one I'm not in the least worried about it. 

A physio friend of mine speculated the original problem could be a slightly degenerative lumbar disc - something which sounds alarming but which is in fact very common and is also treatable.  People who play sports where twisting movement of the body is necessary, e.g. golfers, tennis players (serve), are particularly prone to it.  However, Andy's had the best advice available, and will be getting the best treatment available, so I really think we should all stop agonising about what the problem might or might not be.
I agree Aileen - and stop criticising Andy for not telling the whole world his medical details.  Whistle
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24 PM »

Here are two different articles quoting Jamie on Andy's back. I've deliberately just posted what Jamie said, because the rest is pure conjecture.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sports/doctor-orders-andy-murray-to-avoid-doubles-trouble-7854323.html
“We were entered into the tournament but then Andy didn’t want to play because of his back. He was told by the doctor, ‘You’ve had your injections and now you probably need to rest a little bit’.
“So he’s like, ‘Well, I’d rather miss doubles here’, but I guess he might regret that now. I don’t really see it as a massive issue and he played fine against Mahut. He didn’t win but it certainly wasn’t his back that made him lose. We will try and practise in the lead up to the Olympics, against other teams.”

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/155592.html
"I don't think his back's really giving him too much problems," he said. "Stuff that happened at the French Open, that was something different to what he hurt before.
"I think he's made it quite clear that his back has been fine. I think he just was kind of told by the doctor that, 'you had your injections and now you probably need to have a time where you need to rest a little bit'.
 "I haven't thought about it. I don't really see it as a massive issue. Yesterday he played fine. He didn't win, but it certainly wasn't his back that made him lose or anything like that."
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 02:19 PM »

You can't blame Jamie for being disappointed, but only Andy knows for sure how the back is feeling.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 02:29 PM »

I do wonder though whether even if the back isn't hurting now it's affecting Andy's game as he could well be protecting it especially when serving, even if not consciously.  I wonder whether Andy is best pleased that Jamie has been talking about the injections given he's kept quiet about them himself.
Was pleased to see that Rafa had come out in defence of Andy against big mouth Tommy Haas - what business it is of the latter I really don't know; we don't need any more in the Virginia Creeper mould.  doh
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Jamie has previous on doing the dirt about Andy's injuries - remember the Davis Cup against Argentina?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Yes had forgotten that Alis.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Jamie has previous on doing the dirt about Andy's injuries - remember the Davis Cup against Argentina?

No, what happened?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy's Back « Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 04:45 PM »

I can't remember the exact details now but the gist of it was that Andy and Jamie were both picked to play DC against Argentina in Argentina.  Andy opted not to go because of an injury and Jamie waxed lyrical about how unprofessional it was of Andy to put his career before his country or words to that effect.  I can remember thinking that it all sounded a bit like sour grapes from Jamie but, of course, the press loved it.  I think it caused quite a bit of family ill-feeling for a while!  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »