Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's epic year/off season discussion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's epic year/off season discussion!

(Read 4029 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20 AM »

Posted this on "news" thread but it's too good not to post everywhere.
Seen at O2 a sign reading:
"Shhh, Gold Medalist At Work."
Anyone going to an Andy match- you know what you have to do yay
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 04:40 PM »

ok  I'm suffering from a serious  condition  guys  - no tennis to watch.  no andy.  its horrible   lol
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Ha, cute sign BBH. There should have been more of those for sure!! And some blow-horns!! Wink
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48 PM »

Hi All,

I think this has been a great year for Andy. It started well with that wonderful semi against Djokovic at the AO, which to my mind demonstrated that he was not so far away, given what Djokovic did last year, and got better and better. I know Andy has won fewer titles this year than in some past years, but surely it isn't about how many you win, it's what they are. I mean, Andy could probably win a handful of 250s say, with his eyes closed, but what is really better, that, or Brisbane, the Olympics and the USO? I know what I think. A masters or two would have been nice, but hey, plenty of time for that next year. Whistle

I know it could be argued that Andy has had some inexplicable losses this year. Well, maybe. I know it was said at times that the gap between Andy and those above him in the rankings was growing and that those behind were catching up too. I found that hard to stomach as an Andy fan, and hard to understand. To my mind there has been a sense this year that Andy was putting everything in to getting that first slam. I have been amazed at the number of comms and pundits who simply could not see that. Are they really that thick? Either way, Andy won Olympic gold and the USO. He also went up the rankings to 3, and I won't hear it said that this was purely because Nadal has been out for so long. Andy is also being spoken of now as being part of the next great rivalry. Fickle, the tennis world, huh?

I think Andy's game has changed quite a bit this year. I'm no expert, but even I think you can hear how much harder he hits the ball now. He steps in to the court more, takes the ball on. His forehand is ridiculously different. Sure, it can let him down sometimes, as can his transformed second serve, but I think the changes he has made, in a relatively short time, will continue to develop next year.

I do think that nine days of the Olympics was arguably the best tennis I have ever seen Andy play. He only dropped one set in the singles, and his serve went unbroken all the way from the quarter finals to the win. It was a joy to see him playing so consistently well. That said, I took pleasure in how he won the USO too. He showed grit and determination, refusing to be beaten even when, once or twice, his back was to the wall. I still think the match with Lopez was not so much poor in terms of Andy, but Lopez played out of his skin, and as for Cilic, I'd have had good money on Andy coming back, even from a set and 5-1 down. The key for me was that every time Andy was challenged, whether by the humidity against Bogo, Lopez excelling himself, Raonic getting over-excited, Cilic thinking he had found a way, or by Djokovic being Mr. Flexible, he worked it out and got the job done. No one was beating our Andy that fortnight. No one.

Now I think some will worry about the losses Andy has had from match points up. To me it's all about context. Against Raonic the match points were not on Andy's serve. Given that Raonic beat Andy in Barcelona fairly easily (sorry Andy love!), I was chuffed to see Andy get the match points in a best of three to be honest. With a serve like that Raonic must be tough in a best of three if he gets on a roll, but Andy got close, very close. Also, who won the big meeting where it counts? I rest my case. Against Djokovic a bit of luck would have got the job done. Who knew as well that Djokovic was going to pull off some ridiculous shots to win, really? Andy and Novak are pretty evenly matched. That's all that matters to me. As far as JJ is concerned, Andy admitted he rushed at the end. To my mind the WTF was more important.

The talk of a lull since the USO makes me smile. A semi in a 500, a Masters final, in both he had match points. Sure, there was a blip in Paris against a player who, unless he backs his great week up, will be forgotten next year, and then there was the semi's at the WTF, and Andy gained valuable points to take him to the 8000 points mark. That's quite a lull. He may find himself being the recipient of begging letters from opponents for a lull like that. I can think of a few players who might volunteer to hand over body parts for that sort of lull. If Andy goes on losing matches from match points up next year, say if (let's whisper it!) he crashes early in the AO for example, we could start worrying. For now I think it is too early and sounds a bit like being picky to criticise. I just think it is merely his mind and body reacting a little to the great success he has had this year. When he has had a break I am sure he will be fine.

I look forward to next year with real excitement. It will be a year where no one will be able to question his ability to win slams, they will no longer be able to suggest he isn't mentally tough enough. It may even be a year where Andy finds the nerve to tell Martina, Wade and co to shut up and go back to their knitting, although I suspect he will ignore the temptation and just prove the pair of witches wrong again. Whistle

I really do think next year will be fascinating. Can Djokovic carry on playing at his current level? Will Nadal come back fully fit? Will Federer do the decent thing and go away? Will Andy win at least one more major and challenge for that world no.1 ranking? I can't really comment about those first three, but as for the latter, I reckon Andy will give it a damned good go, and I wouldn't bet against him, not one bit.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50 PM »

ok  I'm suffering from a serious  condition  guys  - no tennis to watch.  no andy.  its horrible   lol

Got any DVD's John? I watched the Olympic final again last night. Cheered me up a treat lol.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Got any DVD's John? I watched the Olympic final again last night. Cheered me up a treat lol.

well there's the US  Open  final    I guess I could watch that  Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59 PM »

well there's the US  Open  final    I guess I could watch that  Very Happy

There we are then, problem solved lol. You could even pretend you don't know who wins.

I'm almost as bad watching reruns and DVD's as I am when they are live matches. I always stress at the same bits of matches, even when I know Andy wins. I am a bit strange Whistle.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:13 PM »

haha  Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 06:56 PM »

Andy's new book still hasn't come for me.  Frown  has anyone else got theirs  ? 
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 07:55 PM »

Teejay:  The talk of a lull since the USO makes me smile. A semi in a 500, a Masters final, in both he had match points. Sure, there was a blip in Paris against a player who, unless he backs his great week up, will be forgotten next year, and then there was the semi's at the WTF, and Andy gained valuable points to take him to the 8000 points mark. That's quite a lull. He may find himself being the recipient of begging letters from opponents for a lull like that. I can think of a few players who might volunteer to hand over body parts for that sort of lull. If Andy goes on losing matches from match points up next year, say if (let's whisper it!) he crashes early in the AO for example, we could start worrying. For now I think it is too early and sounds a bit like being picky to criticise. I just think it is merely his mind and body reacting a little to the great success he has had this year. When he has had a break I am sure he will be fine.

Thanks for pointing out those things, seems often I look at a loss and not remember that it's a semi-final or a final, or who he was playing and how were they playing.

Having said that, I would still like to see his serve become a little more consistent.  I would like to see him play the net more as he is so good when he does.

I wonder, seeing that Lendl's goal was to help Andy win his first grand slam, what the next goal will be, and I too would like to see him at the master events more, but I have the feeling that Lendl enjoys his golf so much that he will still like to be on the golf links whenever he can.

Speaking of rewatching matches and getting a little nervous at times even though you know the outcome, I too get that way.  I see Andy at 0-40 and I worry that this is the time that he gets broken.  It's crazy.  Well I am looking forward to seeing Andy back on court, so I guess I am wishing my life away.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09 PM »

Andy achieved one of his goals this year becoming the US Open champion as an added bonus he became an Olympic champion, not bad for a lad from a town of 8,000 residents!  Seriously though, the turning point was the appointment of Lendl, what a master stroke it was and getting together with a sports psychologist which to me was a massive decision by Andy, even better news was she was also Lendl's sports psychologist.  Andy really trusts Lendl and it bodes well for the future, role on 2013 and more exciting times with 'oor boy'.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42 PM »

Apollo and Teejay,you've no idea how relieved I am to hear you guys say that,about getting stressed watching matches over again,because I thought it was just me!I get exactly the same when things go wrong,groaning and wincing,and getting all excited and happy when things go right,even when I've seen the match before and know Andy wins!Nice to know I'm not alone in that Very Happy
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 02:02 AM »

Andy's new book still hasn't come for me.  Frown  has anyone else got theirs  ? 

Haven't ordered yet.

Maybe someone on the forums could be so kind to help a poor student out at Christmas. lol jk...

My current desktop Background -

only fitting bg considering the year one of my FAVOURITE sportsmen has had.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51 AM »

Andy achieved one of his goals this year becoming the US Open champion as an added bonus he became an Olympic champion, not bad for a lad from a town of 8,000 residents!  Seriously though, the turning point was the appointment of Lendl, what a master stroke it was and getting together with a sports psychologist which to me was a massive decision by Andy, even better news was she was also Lendl's sports psychologist.  Andy really trusts Lendl and it bodes well for the future, role on 2013 and more exciting times with 'oor boy'.

Agreed
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 04:00 AM »

A great year for Muzza indeed, one match up i did miss though was Andy vs Rafa, i know his head to head isn't great but i think Rafas playstyle makes for a great rivalry between those 2 and remember Nadal was Andy's first real big scalp in a slam.

Plus there are some that whisper that Andy was only able to go so far in so many tournaments this year was down to Rafa's absence, total baloney of course but it would be nice to silence those last few doubters next year, i for one hope Rafa returns as stong and as eager as ever, a big four is definately more fun than a big 3  grouphug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »