Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's epic year/off season discussion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's epic year/off season discussion!

(Read 3575 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 04:02 AM »

I freely admit that if anyone had told me at the beginning of this year that Andy would win not only an Olympic gold medal but his maiden Slam, I'm ashamed to say I'd have told them to 'get real'. blush  Instead he's done himself and Britain proud.  I'm not saying it's going to be a bed of roses for him from now on - there will undoubtedly still be the familiar roller-coaster rides, and he still has a few things to learn, such as being much more consistent and totally focussed in all tournaments, not just Slams, something he said himself in a recent interview.  The difference now is that this isn't just talk because, thanks to these two major achievements, he has the belief and the motivation to put this and more into effect.  Lendl has been, and probably will continue to be, a great help but he can only do so much, the rest has to come from Andy himself, and I believe it will.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 05:04 AM »

great past year for Andy....he should be very proud. The next 2 yrs in particular are going to be critical for his tennis career and if he is going to make the leap from being a very talented slam winner into a tennis great. He,s going to have to find an extra few % improvements to reach no1 next year....the pre season training block will be the place to discuss and find that. If he can find those improvements i believe he can be one of the teenis greats...not just a slam winner...as impressive as that is.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10 AM »

Indeed, Andy had a lovely year and he should feel proud. What special moments - especially at the Olympics. And his speech at Wimbledon was just so honest and endearing. What a champ. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Re the post-USO lull: worth remembering this point made by Paul Newman in the INdependent the other day: The last 5 USO winners (including Andy) have won just 2 comparatively minor tournaments between them in the remaining weeks of the season after their Flushing Meadows triumphs.  Andy, he points out, came as close to any to lifting one of the bigger trophies in Shanghai.
So let's get real folks.  This very minor lull has been par for the course for USO champions and absolutely nothing to get concerned about.  And remember too that Andy and Mr L will be having their first extended training block this winter, so who knows how Andy will emerge from that - be afraid, be very afraid everyone else on the tour.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40 AM »

Ruthie-you make an excellent point about the training block!

I've just posted an article in the news thread-it's an interview with Lendl,and he's talking about the training block,and he feels VERY confident about it-even declares that if Andy works on what he wants him to work on,he'll end up perfectly capable of winning RG!Sounds very positive about it all,and even just reading it left me feeling really confident about Andy going forward.Bring on '13!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42 AM »

Wow sounds like Mr L is sending out the same message to the tour - be afraid, be very afraid.  Great stuff dani
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Sunday 05 August 2012.  Just a few short weeks after the agony of the Wimbledon final, our hero, having taken out the mighty Djokovic in the semi, took out the Smug one in the Olympic final, who had declared that this was the one title he was truly desperate to add to his impressive haul.  Andy took him on, outplayed him, made him look ordinary, and landed a precious gold medal for team GB.  I thought at the time that if, God forbid, he never realised his (and our) dream of Grand Slam success, then the Olympic Gold was a magnificent silver lining.  I was so proud that day to be Scottish, and to be British.  I didn't think it could ever get any better than this magnificent victory.

About five weeks later, Monday 10 September to Tuesday 11 September:  Flushing Meadows, New York.   After a tournament which involved some easy victories, some great comebacks, above all a steely determination NOT to be beaten, Andy reaches his fifth Grand Slam final.  Facing the daunting prospect of becoming the first man ever to lose his first five GS finals, he took on the truly formidable Novak Djokovic, who was a heavy favorite to lift his next GS title.

What a five hours we had.  The tension during that fist set tie break!  Oh my God.  I genuinely believed that if Andy had lost the TB, he would have lost the match.  He dug in, again and again, and finally took the set.  I was completely wrung out!  An impressive second set to go 2-0 up.  I was beginning to believe that it was really going to happen!

Then the Djoko comeback, two fairly comfortable sets, taking us to fifth and final set for the Championship.  The momentum is all with Novak.  Then what happens?  Andy finds, deep within him, some reserve of physical and mental strength, takes the game to Djoko, who starts to crumble.  Even then though, two service breaks to the good, Novak takes a break back and the jitters set in.  But no!  This new Andy Murray breaks back again, and serves out the match to win the championship, his first GS title, leaving Novak broken, exhausted, and ultimately outplayed.  It's 2am in the morning, and I wake up the whole house with my screams of joy (they forgave me, eventually.)

I have never, ever, felt so emotional about a sporting even in my life, and probably never will.  I had just witnessed what I truly believe to be the greatest sporting achievement by a British man in my entire lifetime.

My point?  Well, I truly hope that Andy goes on to win multiple GS finals, becomes Number 1 in the world, hell, even leads a GB team to a Davis Cup victory (dream on, Mickeypops.)

But if he never picks up a racquet again, or never wins another title, or whatever - you won't hear me complain.  He's delivered far more than we ever had any right to expect.  He's an icon, a legend, a hero.  Nothing will ever take that away.

An epic year? Oh yes!
[ Last edit by mickeypops November 15, 2012, 02:12 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:59 PM »

well said mickeypops - conveys the excitement and thrill of Andy's achievements so well.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44 PM »

Haven't ordered yet.

Maybe someone on the forums could be so kind to help a poor student out at Christmas. lol jk...

My current desktop Background -

only fitting bg considering the year one of my FAVOURITE sportsmen has had.

Yes you poor student with your mac computer Whistle

Thought I'd post my desktop from work.  I know there are some lovely US Open photo's but the Olympics has to be my favourite from this year.

I love the post from Mickeypops - I couldn't watch the US Open final, since I was at work and it was a whole day later before I got the chance to sit and watch it all the way through, where as the Olympics, I was able to miss sleep and watch all of Andy's singles matches.

I must admit that the tie-breaker at the US Open was agony for me to listen to - I ended up walking away from my desk and making everyone morning coffee lol  The tension was just too much fainting

It's been a fabulous year for Andy and tennis in general. clap

I look forward to 2013 Little tongue man

* Desktop 1.JPG (110.27 KB, 1245x864 - viewed 122 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58 PM »

Sunday 05 August 2012.  Just a few short weeks after the agony of the Wimbledon final, our hero, having taken out the mighty Djokovic in the semi, took out the Smug one in the Olympic final, who had declared that this was the one title he was truly desperate to add to his impressive haul.  Andy took him on, outplayed him, made him look ordinary, and landed a precious gold medal for team GB.  I thought at the time that if, God forbid, he never realised his (and our) dream of Grand Slam success, then the Olympic Gold was a magnificent silver lining.  I was so proud that day to be Scottish, and to be British.  I didn't think it could ever get any better than this magnificent victory.

About five weeks later, Monday 10 September to Tuesday 11 September:  Flushing Meadows, New York.   After a tournament which involved some easy victories, some great comebacks, above all a steely determination NOT to be beaten, Andy reaches his fifth Grand Slam final.  Facing the daunting prospect of becoming the first man ever to lose his first five GS finals, he took on the truly formidable Novak Djokovic, who was a heavy favorite to lift his next GS title.

What a five hours we had.  The tension during that fist set tie break!  Oh my God.  I genuinely believed that if Andy had lost the TB, he would have lost the match.  He dug in, again and again, and finally took the set.  I was completely wrung out!  An impressive second set to go 2-0 up.  I was beginning to believe that it was really going to happen!

Then the Djoko comeback, two fairly comfortable sets, taking us to fifth and final set for the Championship.  The momentum is all with Novak.  Then what happens?  Andy finds, deep within him, some reserve of physical and mental strength, takes the game to Djoko, who starts to crumble.  Even then though, two service breaks to the good, Novak takes a break back and the jitters set in.  But no!  This new Andy Murray breaks back again, and serves out the match to win the championship, his first GS title, leaving Novak broken, exhausted, and ultimately outplayed.  It's 2am in the morning, and I wake up the whole house with my screams of joy (they forgave me, eventually.)

I have never, ever, felt so emotional about a sporting even in my life, and probably never will.  I had just witnessed what I truly believe to be the greatest sporting achievement by a British man in my entire lifetime.
Oh goodness Mickeypops you've given me goosebumps all over again reliving these two momentous occasions!  An excellent post, for which many thanks. Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37 PM »

Haven't ordered yet.

Maybe someone on the forums could be so kind to help a poor student out at Christmas. lol jk...

My current desktop Background -

only fitting bg considering the year one of my FAVOURITE sportsmen has had.

So sad that I can't have a desktop background of Andy cuz the next minute it will be changed to Fed's picture by my brother!
We really fight over this and had once agreed to put a picture of them together..
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 02:49 PM »

So sad that I can't have a desktop background of Andy cuz the next minute it will be changed to Fed's picture by my brother!
We really fight over this and had once agreed to put a picture of them together..

Change the background to one of fed crying then lol
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Change the background to one of fed crying then lol

Oh, I didn't mention this Prodigy, once he had put the Wimby 2012 pic where they both were there and Andy was crying ranting
And according to him, it was ok with our deal..
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50 PM »

just seen Andy on CIN  awesome  Very Happy
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55 PM »

just seen Andy on CIN  awesome  Very Happy

Yep very funny and he was smiling love it!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »