Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's epic year/off season discussion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's epic year/off season discussion!

(Read 4173 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06 PM »

Ooh,what was he doing?I'm really,really hoping it ends up online because I want so badly to see it!
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 10:08 PM »

just seen Andy on CIN  awesome  Very Happy

Saw it too.  He looked like he was really enjoying it - they all did.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 01:14 AM »

Ooh,what was he doing?I'm really,really hoping it ends up online because I want so badly to see it!
It's been posted by *Sparkle* on the Murray videos thread at the top of p.131 - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/murray-videos/new/?topicseen#new
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 11:25 AM »

Oh goodness Mickeypops you've given me goosebumps all over again reliving these two momentous occasions!  An excellent post, for which many thanks. Smile

Thanks Aileen!  

I got a copy of the USO final on Blu-ray for my birthday in October.  I've watched it quite a few times now.  

I still have to skip past the first set tie break.  I just can't watch it.  I'm too scared that Andy's going to lose it this time!  Really though, it was just so tense and I can't yet bring myself to relive it again.

He's going to go on and win more GS finals I'm sure.  But this will  always be the first, and so will always be the most special - even including his first Wimbledon (although I'm quite prepared to change my mind when the time comes!)

I'm watching it again now, it's a November Saturday morning, two months later.  I still consider this to be the greatest sporting achievement by a Briton in my entire lifetime, and I ain't no spring chicken!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04 PM »

He's going to go on and win more GS finals I'm sure.  But this will  always be the first, and so will always be the most special - even including his first Wimbledon (although I'm quite prepared to change my mind when the time comes!)

I'm watching it again now, it's a November Saturday morning, two months later.  I still consider this to be the greatest sporting achievement by a Briton in my entire lifetime, and I ain't no spring chicken!

Mickeypops you have a lovely way with words.

I agree that this first slam will always be special. It's a moment that I don't think I will ever forget. It's funny though, I don't recall crying at many sporting events in the past, if any at all, but for Andy, well, I cried when he lost the Wimbledon final after such a fight. I cried when he won the Olympic final, once I'd stopped jumping up and down lol, and as for the USO, at 5-2 in the fifth the floodgates opened at that was me done! Andy is turning me into an emotional cripple, and what's more, I mean that literally lol.

I've been trying to think of another sporting achievement that I can remember by a Brit that gets remotely close to what Andy has done, and I honestly can't think of one. It isn't just that he won, although that is fantastic. For me it's also the way he has fought back from adversity, kept putting himself on the line again and again. I think that's incredible and speaks so much for his strength of character. I think that in itself is a great signal of the strong likelihood that Andy will be a multi slam winner by the time he is done. I don't see any sign of that desire to put himself out there fading, in fact, dare I suggest it, I think the reverse is true, because he knows now that he can do it.

You really should watch that first set tie break again though. It's tense, it's nerve-wracking, but Andy wins it. I know what you mean though lol.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 12:10 PM »

I still consider this to be the greatest sporting achievement by a Briton in my entire lifetime, and I ain't no spring chicken!

Hm. It's certainly up there, but there's some strong competition. Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour, Chris Hoy powering his way to gold in the Kerrin to become the most decorated British Olympian of all time... and that's just this year. Definitely top five though.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49 PM »

Hm. It's certainly up there, but there's some strong competition. Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour, Chris Hoy powering his way to gold in the Kerrin to become the most decorated British Olympian of all time... and that's just this year. Definitely top five though.

I understand what you mean, of course, and if it was just a case of a Brit winning their first major just in itself, I might be inclined to agree, but what I think clinches it for Andy is that it was over five sets on a hard court, against a multi slam winner who hadn't lost a on a hard court in a major for two years, and that Andy did it after losing four major finals.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Too many sporting achievements this year to consider Andy's the greatest. Imo Wiggins JUST clinches it considering there has been a brit slam winner before, whereas a brit has never won a Tour De France before Wiggins did. Either way I'm just delighted Andy has been a huge focal point of the best year british sports stars have had in years.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 01:43 PM »

I've never been that interested in cycling, especially the road races, so I can't properly compare, but then I don't think it's that easy to compare between eras or sports.   Tennis now is so different to how it was when Perry was around, and the sport wasn't nearly as accessible as it is now.  Greg Rutherford is the first Brit to win the long-jump since colour tv, but Jess Ennis winning Heptathlon was more impressive, despite Denise Lewis's more recent victory.  What makes Andy's achievement stand out to me wasn't just winning a trophy that no Brit has won in most of our life-times, but that he did it on his own terms, by moving outwith the system to train in Spain etc. and then facing silly levels of scrutiny.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 02:40 PM »

Andy deserves the SPOTY but judging by the disgusting treatment Andy received at the O2, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority will be going with the polpular votes e.g. Ennis, Wiggins and Mo. They all deserve it but IMO, none of them has had to contend with an equivalent of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in their respective sports.

Wiggin's TDF was handed to him on a plate, where was Ennis' competition. I absolutely respected Mo's double Gold but for me, Andy's 2012 achievements in the last 6 months of the year trumps them all.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Syc23, there is already a thread for SPOTY if you want to discuss Andy's chances and those of his competitors in more detail. Smile

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/will-andy-be-bbc-sports-personaility-this-year/
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 03:18 PM »

I think what made Andy's achievement in winning USO so special was that he had to overcome his own demons as well as a serial GS winner. And the manner in which he did so in that final set, when it looked like Nole might snatch it away from him after all, was also something special.  Ultimately it's probably futile comparing achievements in different sports. 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Agreeing with Boogers shocking
Andy definitely top 5, maybe 3 but am sure Wiggo or Hoy will get it, or even Ainslie, though that's a very long shot.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Agreeing with Boogers shocking

lmao
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Mickeypops you have a lovely way with words.

I agree that this first slam will always be special. It's a moment that I don't think I will ever forget. It's funny though, I don't recall crying at many sporting events in the past, if any at all, but for Andy, well, I cried when he lost the Wimbledon final after such a fight. I cried when he won the Olympic final, once I'd stopped jumping up and down lol, and as for the USO, at 5-2 in the fifth the floodgates opened at that was me done! Andy is turning me into an emotional cripple, and what's more, I mean that literally lol.

I've been trying to think of another sporting achievement that I can remember by a Brit that gets remotely close to what Andy has done, and I honestly can't think of one. It isn't just that he won, although that is fantastic. For me it's also the way he has fought back from adversity, kept putting himself on the line again and again. I think that's incredible and speaks so much for his strength of character. I think that in itself is a great signal of the strong likelihood that Andy will be a multi slam winner by the time he is done. I don't see any sign of that desire to put himself out there fading, in fact, dare I suggest it, I think the reverse is true, because he knows now that he can do it.

You really should watch that first set tie break again though. It's tense, it's nerve-wracking, but Andy wins it. I know what you mean though lol.

Teejay, you can spin a "bon mot" or two yourself!

I took your advice and returned to the DVD of the USO final, to try and watch the first set tie break.

I managed to stop peering from behind the sofa at 10-10.

It's a start!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »