Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's epic year/off season discussion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's epic year/off season discussion!

(Read 4157 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Teejay, you can spin a "bon mot" or two yourself!

I took your advice and returned to the DVD of the USO final, to try and watch the first set tie break.

I managed to stop peering from behind the sofa at 10-10.

It's a start!

Oh bless you lol.

Oh, getting brave lol. It is nerve-wracking though, I'd agree. When you watch again just keep telling yourself 'Andy wins, Andy wins', over and over. Works for me lol.

Mind you, I am guilty of shameless hypocrisy here. I can't remember what thread it was, but I remarked the other day that I still get anxious watching replays of old matches and DVD's, no matter how many times I watch them. I've watched the Olympic semi final no end of times for example, and I still catch myself going 'Come on Andy, break him now love, break him now'. Strange!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Oh bless you lol.

Oh, getting brave lol. It is nerve-wracking though, I'd agree. When you watch again just keep telling yourself 'Andy wins, Andy wins', over and over. Works for me lol.

Mind you, I am guilty of shameless hypocrisy here. I can't remember what thread it was, but I remarked the other day that I still get anxious watching replays of old matches and DVD's, no matter how many times I watch them. I've watched the Olympic semi final no end of times for example, and I still catch myself going 'Come on Andy, break him now love, break him now'. Strange!

I know what you mean!

On the other hand, the Olympics final however is not at all nerve-wracking to me, because it was one of those rare Andy events when it was relatively plain sailing all the way.  Dear God, how good was it see the Smug one take a such a beating, so soon after the Wimbledon final agony!

Strangely enough though, I've rarely watched it again.  Maybe it was just too easy and the lack of Andy-induced tension and blood-curdling angst, makes me turn back to it more infrequently. 

Maybe that says something about me and why I love following Andy! Is there a "soupcon" of masochism about being an Andy-fan?  yay yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #62 on: November 17, 2012, 05:10 PM »

only a soupcon mp?  Whistle

must admit I've not started watching the growing pile of dvds I'm accumulating with plans for some more.  Looking forward to watching some in the countdown to the new season.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #63 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17 PM »

Goodness yes!  Nearly two months without any tennis - thank God for the DVDs and the 2012 memories.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #64 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Goodness yes!  Nearly two months without any tennis - thank God for the DVDs and the 2012 memories.

I've got withdrawals already and we're only a few days in to the off season lol. Thank God for DVD's!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #65 on: November 17, 2012, 05:43 PM »

I know what you mean!

On the other hand, the Olympics final however is not at all nerve-wracking to me, because it was one of those rare Andy events when it was relatively plain sailing all the way.  Dear God, how good was it see the Smug one take a such a beating, so soon after the Wimbledon final agony!

Strangely enough though, I've rarely watched it again.  Maybe it was just too easy and the lack of Andy-induced tension and blood-curdling angst, makes me turn back to it more infrequently. 

Maybe that says something about me and why I love following Andy! Is there a "soupcon" of masochism about being an Andy-fan?  yay yay

That's funny! I've watched the Olympic final loads! I keep telling myself that it's nothing to do with who Andy thrashed, it's the fact that he won and played so beautifully, but that might only be half true lol.

There is something about watching Andy though. I tend to think of it as an agony/ecstasy thing, which might sound vaguely pervy, but you know.......  Whistle

In all seriousness, I love Andy making comebacks, that sort of thing, but I admit that he is the only one I can watch thrashing an opponent too. The Smug one getting all his own way drives me mad, as it does when it happens with Nadal. I can sort of cope with Djokovic for a bit in that mood, but I can watch Andy taking opponents apart and still love it. One of my favourites was when he pasted Roddick at Queen's last year. He was stunning that day. Mind you, the Raonic match at the USO was brilliant too. That Shanghai semi this year was a classic. Andy's returns were just.....I was speechless. I know, me!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #66 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44 PM »

The thrashings are decent to watch, but tbh I prefer the comebacks Andy makes. I mean I get myself settled in the fact he's probably lost, and then he produces some stunning Tennis to comeback, which pumps me up and makes me delighted when he finally seals the match. The Cillic match is a prime example of this. Didn't watch all live, was out at a family function, check the scores and see he's down. That fact stresses me out, but when I get back home he mounts the comeback!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #67 on: November 17, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Ruthie-you make an excellent point about the training block!

I've just posted an article in the news thread-it's an interview with Lendl,and he's talking about the training block,and he feels VERY confident about it-even declares that if Andy works on what he wants him to work on,he'll end up perfectly capable of winning RG!Sounds very positive about it all,and even just reading it left me feeling really confident about Andy going forward.Bring on '13!

very much looking forward to seeing what changes Lendl makes to andy's play. I,m expecting some big changes ....I think we'll see an even more aggressive style from andy. He's got to go for it this year and next...they are the 2 prime yrs for a tennis player...not always...typically tho. I think we'll see another big improvement to his forehand...the physique andy has now there is no reason why he shouldnt have one of the most powerful shots on the cct. His serve could be great...and occasionally is...but its very inconsistent. His shot selection at key moments could still improve. There is also much to add to his game on clay.

Also, the improvements are a must...as close as he is to Djoko...he is a fraction behind....and Djoko and his team have done a fantastic job in terms of continues improvements to his play. We could be approaching an unprecedented level of tennis next year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49 PM »

Not quite two months - just under 6 weeks. Smile  Abu Dhabi is from 27-29 December and, if it runs true to 2009, it should be available on Sky.  If not I'm sure livestreams will be available.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 09:58 PM »

Hopefully they record Andy's exhibition in Miami also Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07 AM »

I doubt it, although it is the inaugural Miami Tennis Cup and is being shown on ESPN3.  Can we get that in the UK?  Or would Sky even be interested?  I don't know, but it's almost certain to be livestreamed from ESPN.  I must admit I'm interested to see what this is going to be like - playing on a white court with red lines and a blue surround. Rolling Eyes  Presumably the balls will still be yellow.

Incidentally Andy will only be playing on Sat 1 Dec and on the Sunday if he wins that match.

For all the info, see http://www.tennisworldusa.org/First-Annual-Miami-Tennis-Cup-Honors-Andy-Murray-articolo6543.html
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #71 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Thank goodness for "The Killing 3"  yay
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling the effects of off-season already!!
I don't have any matches on dvd (yet,that is.I'm working on it!) but I'm definitely feeling very grateful to Craig and Prodigy and any other kind souls who put Andy's matches up on youtube to watch!

In all seriousness, I love Andy making comebacks, that sort of thing, but I admit that he is the only one I can watch thrashing an opponent too. The Smug one getting all his own way drives me mad, as it does when it happens with Nadal. I can sort of cope with Djokovic for a bit in that mood, but I can watch Andy taking opponents apart and still love it.

I feel the same Teejay!With almost any other tennis player,I just can't watch a match where one player is walking all over the other and enjoy it that much,because I just find it quite dull (unless I dislike the player getting thrashed,that is!) but with Andy I LOVE it.I just really enjoy it.It usually means he's in great form and showing off some fantastic tennis,and it doesn't happen that often,so when it does I just sit back and enjoy it.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #73 on: November 18, 2012, 04:17 PM »

I'm bored.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy's epic year/off season discussion! « Reply #74 on: November 18, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling the effects of off-season already!!
I don't have any matches on dvd (yet,that is.I'm working on it!) but I'm definitely feeling very grateful to Craig and Prodigy and any other kind souls who put Andy's matches up on youtube to watch!

I feel the same Teejay!With almost any other tennis player,I just can't watch a match where one player is walking all over the other and enjoy it that much,because I just find it quite dull (unless I dislike the player getting thrashed,that is!) but with Andy I LOVE it.I just really enjoy it.It usually means he's in great form and showing off some fantastic tennis,and it doesn't happen that often,so when it does I just sit back and enjoy it.

The funny thing is that I do have DVD's, but it hasn't stopped me watching stuff on youtube. Craig, Prodigy et al should be thanked for keeping me sane while I still don't feel great.... Well, okay, almost sane lol.

I had a lovely time on youtube watching Andy from 2010 beating Smugfed in Toronto the other day. That was fun. I must have had Sky Sport longer than I thought because I watched that match on Sky at the time, and also him beating Nadal and Nalbandian (?) that week too. If anyone has those matches it would be fun to see them again. I seem to remember screaming myself witless watching him beat Nadal!

Speaking of Nadal, sort of, I also thoroughly enjoyed watching Andy beat him in Japan last year on youtube the other day. Not having seen it at the time, I loved it. That third set, our Andy serving up a bagel for Rafa! Cor!

Dani, I often like Andy thrashing opponents because of the crowd reactions, all the oohs and aahs when he is playing at his very best. It worries me slightly though. I reckon I suffer from ego by proxy or something lol.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »