Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, LIVE - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's Relationship With Other British Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's Relationship With Other British Players

(Read 387 times)
Milly87
Futures Level

Andy's Relationship With Other British Players « on: November 29, 2012, 08:38 PM »

I've only been following Andy's career for about 7 months now and something caught my attention. It's well known that Andy has a good relationship with Ross Hutchins, Coling Fleming and Jamie Baker, plus he is/will be training with Oliver Golding soon but, I wondered what kind of relationship he has with the likes of Ward, Goodall, Broady, Watson etc.

Given he outstrips them in ranking points and pure genius by so much, I wonder whether they see has an inspiration or just envy him instead. I'm on twitter and was amazed at how few of the other Brits refused to acknolwedge Andy's gold medal win when they were tweeting away around the same time about British medals in other Olympic sports. Even after his US Open, few mentioned it despite tweeting about Djokovic's semi-final from the preivious day.

It was the same during Wimbledon, loads of them tweeted words of encouragement/celebration for Johnny Marray but fell silent when it came to Andy. I was/am amazed by that. Especially given how much Judy does fo young Brits, she gets ehind them so damn much.

Does anyone know of anything positive some of these Brits have managed to say about Andy? Has Andy done something get their backs up? Or can we just conclude that the bitchy player/coach metality from British juniors has followed through to seniors?

P.s I live in England, and no friend/colleague or family member can name a single British player besides Andy- not even the women.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy's Relationship With Other British Players « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47 PM »

You have a good point but I doubt any of them envy Andy or feel bitter about him. The fact is a lot of these players are a LOT younger than Andy is so they are more focussed on their own peer group and I don't think bitterness would come into play when Andy isn't do anything to affect their play or hinder it. I just don't think they feel the need to big up Andy in the public domain, I'm sure they all respect him and know how good he is, but what's the use in going on about him on twitter? Majority of them will probably have his phone number so it makes sense to text him and be a bit more personal. I wouldn't read into it too much.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Andy's Relationship With Other British Players « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00 PM »

I don't think they need to massage his ego but the fact that they lavished praise on so many British athletes, including Marray and were on twitter at the time and yet no mention of Andy on all three occasions seems odd.

As for age, I was under the impression that Ward and Goodall are quite close to Andy in age. I'd be amazed if there was no envy at all, most would sell their mother to be in his position, I think.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's Relationship With Other British Players « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17 PM »

The world doesn't revolve around twitter. How do you know they haven't spoken to him personally or texted him? As it is, until very recently, Andy never went on twitter anyway so any form of congratulations/encouragement would be pointless and I'm sure many know that.

For many of them anyway I guess they probably don't know him. Baker grew up with him and Golding has practised with him during the Slams until this year, whilst Ward has played Davis Cup with him. But the likes of Goodall, Smethurst, Evans probably don't even know him that well, whereas Marray (until recently) belonged to that group playing Challengers.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Andy's Relationship With Other British Players « Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Again, I didn't say they should congratulate him there, I said they didn't acknowledge his achievement...as achievements go, doesnt get bigger than first male GS winner in 70+ years so I'm surprised there was zero acknowledgement on twitter or any other public forum..not that that's a incumbent upon them.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »