Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy's TalkSport interview 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy's TalkSport interview

(Read 2941 times)
notnek
Futures Level

Andy's TalkSport interview « on: April 11, 2012, 04:09 PM »

Andy did an interview with TalkSport which was published yesterday. It was all going well until they brought up the Anti-English crap that always seems to spew out of the type of people who think Andy only plays at Wimbledon:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/120410/murray-wimbledon-davis-cup-and-who-hell-support-euro-2012-169382

I could sense a hint of anger and frustration from Andy which is quite rare. It makes me sad that the only thing the majority of people want to talk to Andy about is a joke he made 5 years ago.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:32 PM »

Just listened to this pathetic and circus-worthy interview. Thanks for posting notnek.
Andy must seriously feel like saying go  censored yourselves at times.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57 PM »

Just listened to this pathetic and circus-worthy interview. Thanks for posting notnek.
Andy must seriously feel like saying go  censored yourselves at times.

Dont understand (I havent listened yet ) Andy has posted a link to this on his facebook?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03 PM »

^ Yeah Tessie... I see what you mean.  I didn't know it was on his Facebook until you said.  Guess it is public property, but I didn't like this interview at all.  He's obviously sick to the back teeth of the "Anyone but England" crap that was blown out of all proportion, and you can hear it in his voice.  How many more times does he have to explain to naff numpties?
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42 PM »

^ Yeah Tessie... I see what you mean.  I didn't know it was on his Facebook until you said.  Guess it is public property, but I didn't like this interview at all.  He's obviously sick to the back teeth of the "Anyone but England" crap that was blown out of all proportion, and you can hear it in his voice.  How many more times does he have to explain to naff numpties?

I still get it all the time from non Andy fans. Last time I printed Dicksons defense off the net and made them read it. If it frustrates us Andy must really hate it! No wonder he said what he did at the recent interview in Miami.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45 PM »

I thought the interview was fine - covered some serious ground like why he wasn't playing Davis Cup, the Brit approach to training compared to the Spanish, his appreciation of the level of competition he has to deal with with the top 3 at the moment which he thinks has made him a  better player.

Then he was asked the football questions, prompted by tweets from listeners, which is what comes up again and again and again in the comments after any article about him. He got the chance to put the record straight for anybody who is prepared to listen. The British when you win, Scottish when you lose comment was tiresome, but otherwise it seemed OK to me. I've never listened before, but I'm guessing it's not a programme particularly for tennis fans.

Andy's two days at home do seem to have been pretty busy with interviews etc.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25 PM »

Thought the interview was ok.... Sad the anyone but England quote came up again but you would expect that if you listen to Talk Sport now and then like I do...... doesn't beat 5 live....also, there's a real numpty called the moose(yep sums him up) who slags Andy off any time he gets a chance and this coming from a guy who, s boss is Alan Brazil is Scottish and always joking with anti English antidotes but are seen as jolly japes.... Unfortunately, our Andy was,nt given that privilege by some English red tops
They,re doing to Andy the crime that he,s been found guilty of.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:49 PM »

I'm guessing it's not a programme particularly for tennis fans.

Talkfootball
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51 PM »

Andy did an interview with TalkSport which was published yesterday. It was all going well until they brought up the Anti-English crap that always seems to spew out of the type of people who think Andy only plays at Wimbledon:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/120410/murray-wimbledon-davis-cup-and-who-hell-support-euro-2012-169382

I could sense a hint of anger and frustration from Andy which is quite rare. It makes me sad that the only thing the majority of people want to talk to Andy about is a joke he made 5 years ago.
His "Oh for God's sake!" (10:08) said it all!

I strongly suspect that the morons who keep raking up this 6 year old incident - which even the man who reported it said he regretted doing and tried to clarify things - are English footie fans who probably don't know one end of a tennis racquet from the other but are quite happy to throw this dirt in his face at every opportunity, and you've only got to look at comments (some pure vitriol) below articles about him to see that.  The real tragedy is that it made Andy stop joking with the media, and so, as he says, he became branded as being "humourless".  Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I'd a feeling the main listeners to this programme were probably footie fans - it being the Great God of British sport - but is it too much to hope that Andy's own, and in the circumstances, patient, explanation will have finally set the record straight?  I'm not holding by breath.

Apart from that issue, I thought the interview was perfectly fair and the questions valid and sensible, even asking Andy about football, which we all know is one of his passions.  I also think Andy has improved tremendously when it comes to interviews these days - confident and coherent, and no more of the dreadful "You know" that used to come after every few words.  
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:55 PM »

Most football fans are morons, Aileen. It's taken them six years to not get this message. Why would that change now?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02 AM »

Most football fans are morons, Aileen.
Better be careful what you say Nigel. Smile  I know a lot who aren't at all like that - and I think Robbie supports a certain Fife team!  However, it does seem to have more than its fair share of numpties, Scottish and well as English.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 12, 2012, 12:05 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03 AM »

I don't know who these interviewers are.. I don't get them here... so I have no preconceptions and I'm judging all this by my own personal opinion.
I strongly suspect they brought it up because they hope they'll get a reaction.
Well.. they did, didn't they?
Naff interviewing, naff subject, naffin' imbecile naffers.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:14 AM »

I don't know who these interviewers are.. I don't get them here... so I have no preconceptions and I'm judging all this by my own personal opinion.
I strongly suspect they brought it up because they hope they'll get a reaction.
Well.. they did, didn't they?
Naff interviewing, naff subject, naffin' imbecile naffers.

Well the reference to 3m tweets was definitely hyperbole, but I'm prepared to believe they did get quite a few from said morons, so whether they would have brought it up anyway in what was an otherwise serious interview, I don't know because I know nothing about this particular programme or its interviewers.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21 AM »

Has it only been 6 years?  It feels like a bloody lifetime. We know he can't win.  If he said England then he would be accused of lying.  If he said Spain, Portugal etc then of course that would make him anti-English.

There has been quite a few English football players that have said they're Federer, Nadal fans.  Are they accused of being anti-Scottish or anti-British?

When was the last time Rooney, Gerrard or Lampard were asked about tennis in a PC or an interview?  I'd guess never.  Why should they be?

Andy should just refuse to answer questions about football. I seem to remember him being asked about the Ashes once in a Wimbledon PC. I wasn't surprised when he slammed his own head on the desk. Bloody ridiculous.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy's TalkSport interview « Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51 AM »

Most football fans are morons, Aileen. It's taken them six years to not get this message. Why would that change now?
Hey now.

I do agree though. I'm a member of one football clubs forums (I daren't say which Very Happy) with a massive fanbase, and every Grand Slam final there is a thread on Murray. About 1/3 of it is actually tennis fans, and of those some support Federer or Nadal for no reason other than they're successful. The rest are people (normally illiterate) bringing up the "anti-English" thing (and they always seem to disappear when I link them to the article from the interviewer clarifying it), or slagging off Murray or cheering everytime he loses a game/set/etc.

I know some of them do it to genuinely wind up the few Murray fans on there but some of them just genuinely hate him. These are the sort of people who think tennis only exists one month in a year and know nothing about him (or the sport in general), yet have a very strong opinion on how much of a "dour Scottish twat" he is, how he is a massive bottler and how he's not even in the same class as the top three and will never win a Slam. Ask them who Del Potro is, or Tomic or Tipsarevic and they wouldn't have a clue. It's quite pathetic really, yet infuriating.

Until the Falla match a couple of weeks back that was the only place I talked about tennis online, and then it was only when Murray was playing live on SS1 in a big semi-final or final. A couple of genuine guys on there, but literally just a couple. The rest are absolute mongs. Offer some great conversations/arguments/opinions on football-related things but just utter mongs where murray is concerned.

Which is why I'm so glad I found this place. yay Great for news, updates and opinions on other tennis players as well, and a great place to find how the other British lads are getting on.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »